Mods Mods Mods - Aftermarket Air Suspension

wucantstop

I have recently really wanted to lower my car. I know I can find a nice set of stiff lowering springs for under 300 bucks, and they'll do the trick of getting rid of that ugly fender gap above my wheels. The problem is that I drive a lot in the city, and I'm afraid that between speed bumps and potholes, the lowering could cause more damage than it's worth (popped tires/bent rims/f'd up undercarriage). So now, what I've been thinking, and it's really far more appealing for the obvious reasons, is to put a good aftermarket air suspension kit in the car. I'm curious if anyone's done this before and which type of kit they used. And is it just a dumb idea? Will the springs be fine and am I just worrying? It seems like with my 18s on there now, there is not much clearance in the wheel well already, so something that would be adjustable from inside the car would be a dream. Riding on the ground as I fly down the highway, hit the city streets and with the press of a button, I now got a raised moster LS. Sorry guys, dreaming again, but lewt me know what you think.

What about shaved door handles? The LS would be soooo beautiful with all the handles gone. I've found complete (and seemingly reliable) kits for around $600, but I'm not going to get one until I'm sure the solenoids and door-poppers can fit in my LS's door frame. If anyone has experience with this, I'd appreciate hearing back from you.

man your car doesnt have air sus? too bad because they sell ride hight controllers but in japan. and i recently found a LOW mode on my LS. it clicks in at around 90 and cornering the freeway seems to be much better and responsive(but an artificial responsive) than my SC but then again i badly need to change the shocks on my SC but have been procrastinating :blushing: maybe you can find all of the air sus stuff from a junk yard and put it in. i hear you can hit the ground with the chassis B)

oh man, you have me droolin now... i really want that air suspension. the only issue is the price. how much do you think it would cost to get the whole air suspension setup? I've heard that it's ridiculous to just replace all the parts on one corner, never mind adding it in altogether. I'm curious about the aftermarket kits, which have the ride height vontroller included, but a little skeptical because they sell the whole thing usually for under $1,000. There are the air bag kits and then the air struts or whatever. Oh well. I'll keep researching.

• 4 months later...
yea i know you just lengthen the tie rod and it will slam :D  but well thats a semi permanent thing

My LS 400 lowers too. but i think your numbers are off. Well to be funny, my ls400 kicks in its "Flex Capacitor" "at exactly 88 MPH"( Like on Back To The Future) and drops down low. Or i have seen it vary slightly in speed but be consistent in Engine RPM near 3000 RPM at or close to "88 MPH" LOL.... Just some humor from the Old SNAKE about these cool cars . Peace out

THE SNAKE

My car doesn't lower when i'm hitting the highway :cries: . I'm pretty sure it doens't have Air Suspension :angry: In my hood... i don't have that extra black thing that i saw @ a friends car *SIGH.* The only thing i notice is that the steering wheel gets stiffer on the highway than local streets.

NOW I WANT AIR SUSPENSION B)

Just look behind the wheels to see if you have air sus...if there's a spring behind the wheel you don't have it. Another way of telling is just looking by the shifter inside the car. Air suspension models have three rocker switches and there are settings like "sport" or "normal."

How much are you willing to spend?

What air sus. companies have you looked at? If they have websites please list them.

You can easily drop 2-3 grand on a new aftermarket air suspension system....just for the parts. If you have someone install it that may add another 1,000; it's a big job.

I definitely don't have it. :cries: I know wut u mean about looking inside the car for those switches. Cause my dad has it in his. N i like playing with the height adjustor on his too. :lol: *SIGH* I think my dad bought the lowest model of the LS400. :angry: But i'm happy... it's still my baby... n i love it. B)

I'm curious about the aftermarket kits, which have the ride height vontroller included, but a little skeptical because they sell the whole thing usually for under $1,000.

$1000 complete for 4 corners? That is cheap. Who makes these? I can believe it if it was $1k/corner.

hey guys, i was looking at my car it has air suspendtion but it doesnt seem to have the ;black controler module... my friends car has it , but i dont for some reason?? is there a way i could set it up to lower at the flip of a switch?? hmm thoughts guys?

hey guys, i was looking at my car it has air suspendtion but it doesnt seem to have the ;black controler module... my friends car has it , but i dont for some reason??  is there a way i could set it up to lower at the flip of a switch?? hmm thoughts guys?

Do you have switches (sport/norm) around your shifter?