Rx400h

mbpgawest

I found this on AOL and thought I would share it.

2005 Lexus RX400h. On sale: fall 2004

2005 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. On sale: early 2005

These two midsized SUVs share the same gasoline engines in their conventional versions. As hybrids they will share the same powerplant and drive system as well. Both vehicles will use a 3.3-liter V6 engine combined with Toyota's hybrid powertrain, producing a claimed 270 hp. Fuel economy is said to be 27.6 miles per gallon, with a cruising range of more than 600 miles. Toyota claims both models will offer performance superior to the conventionally powered versions.

Both front- and all-wheel-drive versions will be offered. The AWD versions will feature a second electric motor to power the rear wheels. This system should save weight by eliminating the driveshaft that runs between the engine and the rear wheels. Toyota claims the Highlander Hybrid will be the first seven-passenger hybrid SUV when it goes on sale in early 2005.

27.6 must be a combined number, as Toyota has specified 37-38 as a city milage figure. Highway milage, as with the Prius, will be less. Also, it is more likely that the RX400h will be sold starting in January; the original prediction was the Fall of 04, but I guess we could be surprised!

My dealer in NY says he won't see/get one until next May...

I heard not till the end of next year from a somewhat reliable source.

Which isnt hard to believe after seeing how long its taking the Ford Escape Hybrid to hit the market....theyve been almost two years late with that one.

Actually thats not true. The engine configuration is similar so they licensed the rights to the concept from Toyota simply to avoid problems down the road but the hybrid drive system is not the same nor does it share any components etc.

Actually thats not true. The engine configuration is similar so they licensed the rights to the concept from Toyota simply to avoid problems down the road but the hybrid drive system is not the same nor does it share any components etc.

And based on the fact that it is ALL Ford engineering, QC, etc.... I wouldn't buy one for $5K off MSRP, much less the "Additional Dealer Mark-Up" they are planning on.

Ford & New Technology = Run Away Fast!

27MPG.....Down from early news of 37MPG.......????!!

Combined..?

Unless they are increasing the gas tank size, the mpg number and range in the article don't match. Gas tank on the current RX is 19.2 in the specs. They are saying range of over 600 miles - that would require better than 31 miles per gallon. I've seen the 600 mile range in material from the auto maker so the 27 mpg number in the article was probably wrong or speculation.

The dealers in California are saying the availability has slipped. I'm hearing February/March. I also saw an article that said they will ship first to the states where they have the most pressure to improve fleet mileage so probably there will be some staggering in how it will show up across the US.

The dealers in California are saying the availability has slipped. I'm hearing February/March. I also saw an article that said they will ship first to the states where they have the most pressure to improve fleet mileage so probably there will be some staggering in how it will show up across the US.

Hopefully, that means CA will be first! I'm number 15 on one list and the dealership expects the first demo in January. I'm guessing March before I get mine, but hey, that leaves me more time to save my pennies! :)

• 2 weeks later...

New comments from Consumer Reports:

2005 Lexus RX400h. On sale: fall 2004

2005 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. On sale: early 2005

These two midsized SUVs share the same gasoline engines in their conventional versions. As hybrids they will share the same powerplant and drive system as well. Both vehicles will use a 3.3-liter V6 engine combined with Toyota's hybrid powertrain, producing a claimed 270 hp. Fuel economy is said to be 27.6 miles per gallon, with a cruising range of more than 600 miles. Toyota claims both models will offer performance superior to the conventionally powered versions.

Both front- and all-wheel-drive versions will be offered. The AWD versions will feature a second electric motor to power the rear wheels. This system should save weight by eliminating the driveshaft that runs between the engine and the rear wheels. Toyota claims the Highlander Hybrid will be the first seven-passenger hybrid SUV when it goes on sale in early 2005.