Dealer Tried To Scam Me

disreal

I purchased a gx470 june 1 , i paid for the works , dvd, nag sys, prem audio, rear seat ent, 3rd row seating and the spoiler. I was asked by the salesman if i would take delivery on one without the dvd in it. The dealer stated they would put the dvd player in. I assumed that the dvd would be "OEM" equip. Well once the car finally arrived on the 15th the dealer installed an aftermarker dvd. Wow wrong move, by doing this it took away all of the rear seat functions. And I do mean everything. I wasn't able to use 78pages of th emanual because of this. I called the dealer and stated i wasn;t satisfied with this , since i spent 50k. The dealer had the nerve to tell me this is what i ordered. Why would i. The dealer stated they found one that matches my color , it has all the oem equip i originally ordered by its in Ohio. the dealer stated stated they would take the hit on the car be used now and the transportation cost of the new car which is $600 , but they wanted me to pay $ 551.00 for the spoiler. Wow!!!!!!!!!!! They even had nerve to say I was 50% at fault. Well fortunately i Stood my ground and refused to play another dime. I will be recieving mY new car in a couple of days > The car i ORIGINALLY ordered. tO ALL DON'T ALLOW THE DEALER TO INSTALL AN AFTERMARKET DVD PLAYER. IT TAKES ALWAY FROM YOUR FUNCTIONS. ALSO STAND YOUR GROUND WITH THESE SHADY !Removed! DEALERS . PEACE OUT :

• 1 year later...

The dealership here in Chandler, AZ, also tried to get me take one with aftermarket DVD by (ahem) AUDIOVOX. They claimed that they never order the factory DVD system on their cars. I insisted I wanted one with the factory system, so they had to transfer one from Tuscon for me. I am very glad I held out for the factory system. I have had terrible experiences with my other cars and their "aftermarket" accessories.

The dealership was very up-front with me... but I had to ask questions. I knew what questions to ask, because I'd been burned before. They didn't offer all this information. Always ask if it's OEM. If not, in most cases, RUN FOR THE HILLS!

By the way, the dealer wanted $2500 for their aftermarket system which included 2 headrest screens. Why on earth would anyone pay $1000 more than the price of the OEM system, yield fewer functions, have a shorter warranty, AND have their car all torn apart for the installation? This stuff must mean big profits for the dealerships.

I had a similar problem, ALMOST, when I went to the dealer to place my order, he was surprised I didn't even ask for a test drive and asked me why?

I simply told him, I already spec'd out the car, knew how it drove and knew ALL of the options including the DVD RES system, I was ADAMANT from DAY 1, first minute we we're introduced that I would ONLY take the CAR if it had the FACTORY DVD player (OEM) and not 3rd party/Aftermarket EVEN IF it had the COOL headrest monitors (IMHO, I really like this, but easier for the other passengers in rear to see!!!)

But, NOT at the expense of losing rear controls for the RES...! Well 1 month later, the GX arrives and guess what it has the the Audiovox system and I told hime to take it back, which he did WITHOUT a problem because I had told him this upfront.

Worked out for us because my wife decided she didn't like the DORADO gold and when he placed the order for another car, we got it Blizzard White with Tan interior!!!

Glad everything worked out in the end for you though!

Good for you too, LoneWolf, for holding your ground and getting the system and car you wanted. I held out for the Blizzard Pearl with tan interior too! Enjoy your new car... I am loving mine!

Had my dealer install after market but definately not an udiovox...was invision dual dvd headrest and had no problems whatsoever. Everything is all good with my gx...could be your dealer's tech not knowing what the heck they are doing

• 8 months later...

Good for you too, LoneWolf, for holding your ground and getting the system and car you wanted. I held out for the Blizzard Pearl with tan interior too! Enjoy your new car... I am loving mine!

Had my dealer install after market but definately not an udiovox...was invision dual dvd headrest and had no problems whatsoever. Everything is all good with my gx...could be your dealer's tech not knowing what the heck they are doing

I added Invision headrest DVD players. Except for a leather color mis-match (which I am sure will be corrected by the Invsions company - a good firm) the DVD players work great. Kids love them and they perform well

They even had nerve to say I was 50% at fault.

Well, you are. Actually in my opinion you're 75% at fault.

I mean, come on you have to take some responsibility for making sure all parts of a contract are clear. If you can't do that then hire representation to do it for you. The first question out of my mouth would have been "will this be the OEM rear screen or aftermarket" and I would have insisted it be what I ordered or re-evaluated had it not been availiable. Most owners don't care or understand the difference, and the dealer assumed you didn't either because you didn't communicate to them that you did. Once you communicated to them you had an issue, they made it right at great cost to them. They certainly were under no obligation to do that.

The contract is a document that spells out the conditions that are important to both parties for an agreement to be made. You and you alone are responsible for making sure that YOUR conditions are adequately reflected in the contract, not the dealer. The dealer's responsibility is to make sure that their conditions are adequately reflected. I see this all the time in my business (real estate), people get to the settlement table and say they didnt agree to something when there it is, signed sealed and delivered that they did. People need to read and understand what they agree to.

See, lonewolf communicated his desires, you did not.

Dealers aren't mind readers, and just because there was a misunderstanding doesn't mean they're "shady".

I agree with SW, there is fault here. You did ACCEPT the vehicle. I commited the same mistake with my 4Runner's alarm. I allowed them to install a "toyota certified" alarm, called Pursuit, and when i got it back, the only OEM thing about it is that it doesnt require a different remote other than the remote that the vehicle came with. But everything was aftermarket: an extra LED blinking light, immobilizer bypass, and flashing park lights when lock and unlocking. Then a couple weeks later, i found out that there is such thing as a real OEM toyota alarm (Toyota VIP RS3200+ system) and the dealer agreed to remove their crappy Pursuit and take the hit on labor costs and they installed the VIP system. athough this one was the parts deparment's fault. Before i had the Pursuit installed i asked the parts department if there really isnt a true OEM alarm. They said no. Then i asked another dealer in town, they said "We can get it in 2 days" so that's when i went back to the dealer and they admited their mistake. ;) :)

And they were charging $600 for an aftermarket "toyota certified" Pursuit alarm. pssht. Yea right. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I got my vehicle from lexus of tucson. I've yet to see an aftermarket dvd in any of their vehicles, including the loaners...it's either OEM dvd or no dvd player. I know they do ship/sell out of state, so if your dealer tells you some bs like they can't get the OEM dvd unit factory installed, you can check there, you can even buy it on the web and have it shipped across country (the day I picked up my vehicle, they were shipping a new car out to PA).