Burning Smell In Heater

COZ

An electronic burning smell coming from vents, heater is turned on. I saw this mentioned im another post and I noticed it last night for the first time. Like dust burning off an electric heating element. Anyone else notice this? Does Lexus use an electric heating element to heat the air?

An electronic burning smell coming from vents, heater is turned on. I saw this mentioned im another post and I noticed it last night for the first time.  Like dust burning off an electric heating element. Anyone else notice this? Does Lexus use an electric heating element to heat the air?

That was my post, and it is noticable. Not too much of a big deal, kind of goes away after a few minutes (or maybe i just get too used to it?).

Just started happening last month when i first turned it on since last winter.

Is it possible that some leaves crumbled and worked their way down to the heater core, and maybe some debris is hitting the blower fan causing it to slow down, and overheating. I pay very close attention to leaves sitting on the air vents on the outside of the vehicle. I have replaced a few heater cores, and they can get contaminated with debris. I have no easy solution to fixing however.

Is it possible that some leaves crumbled and worked their way down to the heater core, and maybe some debris is hitting the blower fan causing it to slow down, and overheating.  I pay very close attention to leaves sitting on the air vents on the outside of the vehicle.  I have replaced a few heater cores, and they can get contaminated with debris.  I have no easy solution to fixing however.

Could be, i have never thought to look in the front grill for leaves :huh:

I think that lenore nailed this one for you.

Every weekend when I pop the hoods on all of our vehicles for their weekly fluid levels and tire pressure check-up, I take the time to remove any leaves or pine needles that may have accumulated up near the base of the windshield. It takes about 30 seconds per vehicle to do this. Add it to your weekly routine and you may find that the burning smell associated with cranking up your heater suddenly disappears.

Keep in mind that accumulated debris in an engine compartment is never a good thing to allow. It can gradually interfere with performance depending on where the debris eventually settles, and it will certainly increase your chances for a fire under the hood.

I think that lenore nailed this one for you.

Every weekend when I pop the hoods on all of our vehicles for their weekly fluid levels and tire pressure check-up, I take the time to remove any leaves or pine needles that may have accumulated up near the base of the windshield.  It takes about 30 seconds per vehicle to do this.  Add it to your weekly routine and you may find that the burning smell associated with cranking up your heater suddenly disappears.

Keep in mind that accumulated debris in an engine compartment is never a good thing to allow.  It can gradually interfere with performance depending on where the debris eventually settles, and it will certainly increase your chances for a fire under the hood.

I went out to my garage to take a look at the rx330's engine compartment and it's gone...My wife took that today instead of her LS :(

Oh well i'll just wait till she gets back. I agree that's probably what it is...i never thought of cleaning leaves off.

Thanks i'll check it later!

By the way the grill faacia under the hood or along the windshield may be removeable and possible you can clean by vacuuming underneath this piece.