18 replies to this topic

#1 OCNLVR

OCNLVR

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Model: 2000 RX300

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:38 PM

I have been reading the forum for a while now and decided to clean the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) myself. Removal was very easy, MAF is located on top of air intake valve behind the air filter housing. It looks like a small square with 2 screws on the top of air intake with 5 wires attached to one end. Just remove the screw and pry open the wire plug and MAF is isolated.

The tip of sensor itself looks like a rain drop I guess. It was covered with dirt, which was cleaned easily with alcohol and a Q-tip. After a while, I don't see any dirt on the Q-tip but the sensor still in the color of dark brown. Is this the right color? Or MAF sensor should have the color of silver metal?

Thanks for the help for those who had done it before.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 SKperformance

SKperformance

Official LOC Bad Speller

• Management Team
  • 12,489 posts
  • First Name:S
  • Model: 94-ES300 98-LS400 03-GS430
  • Year: 2008

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:05 PM

Once the dirt is off you are fine as it reads the amount of air by vacume from the engine passing by the filament to gauge the volume of air induction through the filament being cooled.
did i lose you?

#3 OCNLVR

OCNLVR

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:13 PM

Ok, so the color makes no difference.

I just put in under very high intensity light in my house instead of garage and I can tell it is made of some kind of amber colored glass at the tip of gauge.

#4 ColinBarber

ColinBarber

Advanced Club Member

• Gold Member
  • 202 posts
  • Model: GS430/RX300

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:16 AM

Sounds like you were just cleaning the air temp. sensor that is built into the MAF sensor. The part of the MAF sensor that needs cleaning are the two small wires inside the tube

Here is a cleaning procedure:
http://www.lexusowne..._v2&id=152&c=11

#5 OCNLVR

OCNLVR

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:26 AM

Thanks ColinBarber,

Pictures are worth thousands of words!

#6 RX in NC

RX in NC

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • First Name:Jon
  • Model: 2004 RX330 AWD
  • Year: 2004

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:34 AM

Yep, this is a great little tutorial complete with photographs. Anyone who can read and operate a screwdriver should be able to follow these instructions. Keep those Mass Air Flow Sensors clean out there....

#7 e h

e h

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Model: rx330

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:45 PM

the CEL light came on along with the VSC and Trac off lights. this morning i removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it. replaced it, drove a bit and the CEL came on again. i decided to take it to the dealer since its still under warranty. the moment the i started the car to show it to the dealer, the CEL is gone. i dont know if im gona be happy or *BLEEP*ed. but i hope it does not come back. do you think the cleaning did it?

mine is a 2004 RX330

#8 e h

e h

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Model: rx330

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

ok check engine light came on again. i already cleaned the MAF with electrical cleaner but still the same. cel comes on and error code is P0171 and P0174.

i checked the air filter and its super dirty. could this have something to do with it?

#9 Ericok

Ericok

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Model: RX300

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

Sounds like you were just cleaning the air temp. sensor that is built into the MAF sensor. The part of the MAF sensor that needs cleaning are the two small wires inside the tube

http://www.lexusowne...e...id=152&c=11

You can't clean the MAF using 99% Alcohol like the link suggests - it doesn't work. Use CRC throttle body cleaner in a spray can. Two or three blasts inside will clean the MAF.

#10 ad33

ad33

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

All,

I tried to clean the MAF on my 1995 ES 300. Opened up the round piece with MAF mounted on it but didn't really find any screws to get to the two wires mentioned here and in the pictures. Inside the round piece I see all plastic stuff.
Can anybody refer me to an ES300 specific picture please.

Many thanks in advance.

AJ

You can't clean the MAF using 99% Alcohol like the link suggests - it doesn't work. Use CRC throttle body cleaner in a spray can. Two or three blasts inside will clean the MAF.

#11 rmk9785e

rmk9785e

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Model: 1999 RX300, 2007 IS250

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:24 PM

This cleaning solved my problem. I used Chemtronics Electro Wash, a Non-CFC cleaner that dries immediately.

#12 J__

J__

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Model: 2004 rx330

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

when you are cleaning the maf, PLEASE dont wipe it with anything. You run a high risk of damaging it with wiping the surface with cotton or anything. Just use maf cleaner in a spray can from your local auto store and spray the sensor for a few seconds and let dry, thats it. dont touch it as u'll damage it.

#13 cyberflyer

cyberflyer

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Model: 1998 ES300

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

Is it safe to use CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner on 2004 RX330?

#14 Ericok

Ericok

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Model: RX300

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

Is it safe to use CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner on 2004 RX330?

No problem using it on the MAF.

#15 livingingrace

livingingrace

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Model: Lexus

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:10 AM

Hi, Colin:

Thanks for the detailed instruction of how to clean the MAF sensor in my lexus RX300 year 2000. It was easy. I did not touch the sensor. I just use a computer high pressure spray for cleaning dust and lint to clean the MAF. But the Engine light is still on. I look inside the tube. IT was clean except that they don't look shiny as you said.

Since the engine light sensor is still on, I need to go to the lexus dealersheep to do it. If you can email me some reference to a good machanics. I am so grateful for taking time to response to my email and to show me a solution to my preblem

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have