'99 Rx300: Dash Board Noise When First Started

e2vincent

Hi All:

I own at '99 RX300 and every time when I start the engine, I heard noises coming from the console area. At first I thought it was the in dash CD changer, then I took out the CD magazine, the noise still exists. It is from the center console!

I wonder if anyone experienced the same problem. It is not major but annoying....

BTW, it didn't happen during the morning when it is cooler/colder.

BR,

V.

• 2 weeks later...
did you turn the hvac off

it is porbably the motors moving in short bursts adjusting the internal vents

We have the same problem on our 99'. The radio and HVAC were off and it still did it. Sounds like solenoids or motors running in the dash behind the radio counsol controls. What is it?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has figured this one out?

I have a 2001 RX300 and a CD / solenoid type sound is coming from the passenger foot well area. It is driving me nuts!! :blink:

Yes the HVAC has been turned off and the CD magazine has been removed, but the sound continues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

...umm..I don't wanna sound like an idiot LOL  but what's HVAC??

HVAC is Heating Ventalation and Air Conditioning.

The problem in our 99' are the motors adjusting the vents. The problem is that they won't stop adjusting. The only way I can get them to settle in is to manually select a vent or floor setting. I don't think they should be moving continuously. Any ideas why they would move and adjust eraticly? How to fix?

I think I've got this one licked...

The noise is coming from the servo motor that moves the door for the "mode" button. This servo moves diverters to change from vent to floor, etc.

- I popped the bottom panel off under the glove box.

- I then removed the glove box assembly. 2 screws up high, 2 bolts down low.

- With the key on engine off you can press the mode button and watch the servo move. Turn the key completely off.

- Remove 3 screws and plug to take the assembly out.

- Do not attempt to rotate the arm on the end of the servo. It engages w/ a worm gear. Turn it and you will break gears.

- The servo is a snap together unit. Carefully take it apart w/ the arm side down.(so gears don't fall out)

- inside you will see multiple whiper fingers that make contact w/ a gear. Carefully clean these w/ alcohol and a cotton swab.

- Redistribute the contact grease on the whiper pad w/ a clean finger (any oil or lotions on skin will mix w/ the grease and make the copper contacts corrode.

- Carefully snap unit back together.

- Clean contacts on the outer part of servo also w/ alcohal.

The other option is to have Lexus diagnose this for you and hit you for $160 for the part plus ~ an hour or 2 labor.

So far the noise is gone and the HVAC system works properly. I will post any updates if the problem comes back. I think the problem was caused by crusty contacts in the servo that were creating a poor signal back to the computer that controls it. Now that it has a clean signal, all is well..... I hope!!! :cheers:

I feel like an idiot, but I just posted a similar post last night after not being able to find this post. I found the same thing, but instead of it being the vent (defrost/floor) servo, it was the servo below it - apparently the air inlet switch. I'll try the cleaning - I think it is the same servo with just a different arm anyway.

• 1 year later...

I think I've got this one licked...

The noise is coming from the servo motor that moves the door for the "mode" button. This servo moves diverters to change from vent to floor, etc.

- I popped the bottom panel off under the glove box.

- I then removed the glove box assembly. 2 screws up high, 2 bolts down low.

- With the key on engine off you can press the mode button and watch the servo move. Turn the key completely off.

- Remove 3 screws and plug to take the assembly out.

- Do not attempt to rotate the arm on the end of the servo. It engages w/ a worm gear. Turn it and you will break gears.

- The servo is a snap together unit. Carefully take it apart w/ the arm side down.(so gears don't fall out)

- inside you will see multiple whiper fingers that make contact w/ a gear. Carefully clean these w/ alcohol and a cotton swab.

- Redistribute the contact grease on the whiper pad w/ a clean finger (any oil or lotions on skin will mix w/ the grease and make the copper contacts corrode.

- Carefully snap unit back together.

- Clean contacts on the outer part of servo also w/ alcohal.

The other option is to have Lexus diagnose this for you and hit you for $160 for the part plus ~ an hour or 2 labor.

So far the noise is gone and the HVAC system works properly. I will post any updates if the problem comes back. I think the problem was caused by crusty contacts in the servo that were creating a poor signal back to the computer that controls it. Now that it has a clean signal, all is well..... I hope!!! :cheers:

Thanks and cheers for this guidance. That noise had been bugging me for a long time - nearly constant of late no matter what the temp or settings. Finally found some time to do yesterday and instructions were right on target. Not difficult at all. Noise gone for now. Very pleased. Thanks to those who take the time to share detail information on how-to - very useful. :) :) :)

• 6 months later...
...umm..I don't wanna sound like an idiot LOL but what's HVAC??

This makes me laugh! I once interviewed a guy for a job in our maintenance department and on our written exam it asked about his experience with HVAC components.

He said he had never really worked on High Voltage Alternating Current before, only digital stuff.

.......we didn't hire him.