Hid Kit On A Gx

Just wondering if anyone has installed an HID kit (ballast and all) on a GX?! I'm looking into it now, just wondering if it's worth my while or if I should just stick w/ the stock setup...

Any help would me much appreciated.

-Bryce

I'm hoping to have my front and rear machine guns mounted in my LS400 by the next time I encounter an SUV as tall as a GX with an aftermarket HID conversion kit. Watch out! I'm sometimes in "Pretty-View" Nebraska. ;)

Seriously, you never quite know what you are going to get when you add an HID kit to a vehicle. Sometimes the beam is fairly controlled and sometimes it's all over the place lighting up the tree tops and the clouds and generally blinding and p1ssing off other drivers. It can be even worse in an SUV that has headlights that are already much higher than on a car.

Earlier this year an Escalade with an HID kit followed us for what seemed like an eternity as we drove back to Kansas City from Omaha or Des Moines in the dark. The rear window of my LS has 35% aftermarket tint but the Escalade's HID kit still lighted up the interior of our car like it was daylight. Maybe the idiot was on the phone since slowing down didn't get him to pass ... we got relief only when we pulled into a rest area. Actually, I think some of these guys with HID kits in their SUV's and pickups know exactly the kind of grief they are causing and are doing it on purpose -- unless they are completely clueless.

I really don't like the concept of having still more laws but I tend to think that the use of aftermarket HID kits should not be allowed.

Just wondering if anyone has installed an HID kit (ballast and all) on a GX?! I'm looking into it now, just wondering if it's worth my while or if I should just stick w/ the stock setup...

-Bryce

It can be done very simple if you get a plug and play system. I did it on my LX470. And if the beam is too high you can adjust it. Just google it.

1990LS, the Escalades from 2003 to present come standard with HID headlights so that was probably factory stuff bothering you. Were you able to see which generation it was?

1990LS, the Escalades from 2003 to present come standard with HID headlights so that was probably factory stuff bothering you. Were you able to see which generation it was?

You are correct about the HID on the Escalade. I assumed it was aftermarket because they were so blinding. I'm not sure but I think it was a relatively new Escalade. Maybe what happened is typical when a vehicle with headlights as high as an Escalade "rides your bumper" or maybe they were just adjusted too high. Do you happen to know if the Escalades headlights are self leveling like OEM Lexus HID headlights?

Are there glare issues for other drivers in your GX with aftermarket HID when your truck is heavily loaded or does your suspension self level to compensate?

You are correct about the HID on the Escalade. I assumed it was aftermarket because they were so blinding. I'm not sure but I think it was a relatively new Escalade. Maybe what happened is typical when a vehicle with headlights as high as an Escalade "rides your bumper" or maybe they were just adjusted too high. Do you happen to know if the Escalades headlights are self leveling like OEM Lexus HID headlights?

Are there glare issues for other drivers in your GX with aftermarket HID when your truck is heavily loaded or does your suspension self level to compensate?

The Escalades HID headlights are not adjustable and do not self level when carrying a heavy load. But all of the latest generation Escalades are standard with rear leveling suspension. But the newest Escalades now have optional LED headlights available only with the "platinum" package. But because LED headlamps are new are rare I have yet to see a car in real life with LED headlights and would not know if they seems brighter than HID lamps.

When I first replaced my halogen bulbs with HID I readjusted the height because the bulbs were a little bit different in size so I made sure they were adjusted right for the projector beams. Then I drove around in my IS350 while my room mate followed me around to make sure they did not seem to bright to oncoming traffic or when following someone. They are brighter than the regular halogen bulbs...but that's the point so you can see clearer. But I wouldn't say they are blinding. And yes my LX470 automatically levels itself as will the GX470.

1990LS400...I understand your grief (especially with the new Escalade lights---they are pretty horriffic)!

NicLX470, thanks for the insight. I have found several posts on clublexus of guys that have done the HID kit and even posted install pics on the whole thing step-by-step, so I think I'll try them out...when I convince my wife it's a worth-while thing to spend $200 bucks on! I thought I might try it on on my 4Runner first, then see how well she likes them and if she'll let me poke around on her GX to do the job :whistles:

You can get one of the "conversion kits" but you will get a lot of glare above the cutoff (blinding oncoming drivers) and you'll get less light on the road where you need it.

The problem is that the stock setup is designed for a halogen bulb. A halogen bulb and a xenon bulb have different focal points. The projector bowls in your car are shaped for the focal point of the halogen bulb. If you threw in a xenon bulb, the intense spot would be misplaced and the results will be poor.

If you could adjust the focal point of the xenon bulb kit, then you'd be fine.

-Bryce

DOnt let these guys scare you..lol

A HID kit from xenondepot.com is a Plug and play kits and is a very nice install! Tons of GX owners have done it and with our Projecters and self leveling rear suspension it makes for a wonderfull add on thats way worth it! The beam pattern has a very nice cutoff and DOES not blind Anyone, I have had mine for a year woth Zero problems and not a Single flasher from oncoming traffic and the light at night is wonderful!

Here are a couple of good post on the subject.

HID Install

HID KIT

Yes the projectors on the GX should be just fine with an HID kit. It's got a decent cut-off and beam pattern even though the stock bulbs are halogen. Give it a try! It's not hard to aim it slightly down if it's blinding on-coming traffic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

-Bryce

A HID kit from xenondepot.com is a Plug and play kits and is a very nice install! Tons of GX owners have done it and with our Projecters and self leveling rear suspension it makes for a wonderfull add on thats way worth it! The beam pattern has a very nice cutoff and DOES not blind Anyone, I have had mine for a year woth Zero problems and not a Single flasher from oncoming traffic and the light at night is wonderful!

HID Install

HID KIT

I completely second this post. The kit takes an hour or so to install. no wire cutting and the light is amazing for you without bothering others.

My GX lights hit cars in front of me in the trunk.

• 1 month later...

-Bryce

HID Install

HID KIT

Hey thank so much for the link and the tip

Lexus Body Kits

• 11 months later...

First looking at HIDs kit, I was quite confused to go for which order but finally I decided to go for ballast. Few days ago I received my order and I was amazed to see it. It fits perfectly to my car and I think HID kit is the only way to go.

SPAM

1990LS400...I understand your grief (especially with the new Escalade lights---they are pretty horriffic)!

NicLX470, thanks for the insight. I have found several posts on clublexus of guys that have done the HID kit and even posted install pics on the whole thing step-by-step, so I think I'll try them out...when I convince my wife it's a worth-while thing to spend $200 bucks on! I thought I might try it on on my 4Runner first, then see how well she likes them and if she'll let me poke around on her GX to do the job :whistles:

i'm one of "those guys" from clublexus. i put 6000K in my highs, lows and fogs. it's very easy to do.