Driving In The Snow

stateman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not as good as later ones, the traction control became more sophisticated.

as you live in Michigan i'd assume you know how to drive an RWD in the snow, the traction control helps you detect bad conditions before you lose control. It's treated me fine for mild winters with several inches of snow, but they're heavy and RWD, so there probably are safer vehicles you could buy. how bad are the roads in michigan during the winter and how much do you intend to drive?

Also, heated seats and traction control were a bundled option on the Gen1s, make sure you get one with this package.

I live in an area that gets 350"+ of snow per year. My 1990 LS400 with snow tires and traction control gets me through areas just as well as cars with AWD with all-season tires.

I agree with this statement. I have a 96 and it's like a tank in the snow. Just get some Blizzacks and you'll be fine.

I live in an area that gets 350"+ of snow per year. My 1990 LS400 with snow tires and traction control gets me through areas just as well as cars with AWD with all-season tires.

I agree with this statement. I have a 96 and it's like a tank in the snow. Just get some Blizzacks and you'll be fine.

I bombed around Denver in mine all winter, even during the 'big' storms. It was actually sorta fun! Yes...snow tires, and of course, be careful and it does pretty good.

The biggest problem I had was the fact that if you have the wipers on, and the drivers side door open (lets say I just started it, then was getting out to scrape the windows) the drivers side wiper will push snow off the edge of the windshield and right into your lap!

If you have snow tires, its fine. No snows? Its undrivable.

Not even with all-weather's?

I used a brand of Nordic tires(Nokians) on my family van. Very nice all wx tires.

We get, on average, about 70 inches of snow each winter here in N. Indiana. My philosophy

is to stay at home when we get seriously dumped upon. I dont want a 4-wheel drive because then

my boss will expect me to show up on snowy days! :rolleyes:

I grew up in Indiana (Indianapolis) so I'm very familiar with the winters there.

You have to get snow tires. All weathers won't do

I used a brand of Nordic tires(Nokians) on my family van. Very nice all wx tires.

We get, on average, about 70 inches of snow each winter here in N. Indiana. My philosophy

is to stay at home when we get seriously dumped upon. I dont want a 4-wheel drive because then

I grew up in Indiana (Indianapolis) so I'm very familiar with the winters there.

You have to get snow tires. All weathers won't do

Hmmmm, but just snows on the rear, correct? Sounds like I may want to pick up some extra rims in the

junk yard.

Absolutely, the car is extremely dangerous to drive in the snow without snow tires, if you plan on driving it in the snow a lot, snow tires are a MUST. You want them on all 4 wheels.

The secret to the use of the earlier TC systems was to leave it on so it can "tell" you when the roadbed has no "sticktion" and then immdiately turn it off and do your own feathering of the throttle to accelerate while avoiding wheelspin/slip. The problem with my 92 LS is that it would INSTANTLY dethrottle the engine down to ZIP along with applying braking and then take several seconds to return throttle control to me.

I noticed on a 2000 GS300 that I had that the dethrottling was delayed several hundred milliseconds to give the driver a chance to quickly feather the throttle.

As a general I learned to religiously turn off TC when I started the car each time.

If you don't already know how to drive, handle, a fairly powerful and heavy RWD vehicle in those conditions the LS is not for you.

The secret to the use of the earlier TC systems was to leave it on so it can "tell" you when the roadbed has no "sticktion" and then immdiately turn it off and do your own feathering of the throttle to accelerate while avoiding wheelspin/slip. The problem with my 92 LS is that it would INSTANTLY dethrottle the engine down to ZIP along with applying braking and then take several seconds to return throttle control to me.

I noticed on a 2000 GS300 that I had that the dethrottling was delayed several hundred milliseconds to give the driver a chance to quickly feather the throttle.

As a general I learned to religiously turn off TC when I started the car each time.

If you don't already know how to drive, handle, a fairly powerful and heavy RWD vehicle in those conditions the LS is not for you.

I grew up driving RWD cars as that was all that was available to me(60's era cars). I have not contended with a RWD in many years so this is going to bring back memories(donut time? :whistles: ). I bought the LS400 knowing that snow may be an issue but thought that with the ECT snow mode, some weight in the trunk and good all weathers, I would not have much of a problem. From this thread, I am gathering that my expectations may not be realistic.

(PS..Hey GKLCPA....where in the LV area do you live? My wife is from Northampton and I have roamed around your stomping grounds a bit).

Landar,

You're going to need snows on all four wheels. I picked up some used Blizzaks for $ 200 just prior to Feb. If you get them brand new, they're about $100 per tire. Check www.tirerack.com for more info. Like the other guys were saying, snows are a must.

I did not have to turn off my traction control during the winter, but if you get stuck, you'd need to turn it off so you can get the car some gas to get unstuck.

I live in a town in Northampton County a few miles north of Easton PA. I moved here six years ago from NJ, where I lived for about 20 years. I moved to the east coast after graduating from IU. I spent my formative years growing up in Naptown and still have folks there.

Where are U from in Indiana?

I grew up driving RWD cars as that was all that was available to me(60's era cars). I have not contended with a RWD in many years so this is going to bring back memories(donut time? :whistles: ). I bought the LS400 knowing that snow may be an issue but thought that with the ECT snow mode, some weight in the trunk and good all weathers, I would not have much of a problem. From this thread, I am gathering that my expectations may not be realistic.

(PS..Hey GKLCPA....where in the LV area do you live? My wife is from Northampton and I have roamed around your stomping grounds a bit).

Landar,

You're going to need snows on all four wheels. I picked up some used Blizzaks for $ 200 just prior to Feb. If you get them brand new, they're about $100 per tire. Check www.tirerack.com for more info. Like the other guys were saying, snows are a must.

I did not have to turn off my traction control during the winter, but if you get stuck, you'd need to turn it off so you can get the car some gas to get unstuck.

I live in a town in Northampton County a few miles north of Easton PA. I moved here six years ago from NJ, where I lived for about 20 years. I moved to the east coast after graduating from IU. I spent my formative years growing up in Naptown and still have folks there.

[

Well all the information is beginning to explain the elusive response I got from the previous owner when I asked about how the Lexus does in the snow. Turns out the wife drove the Lex most of the time, except in the winter when hubby forked over the Toyota Sequouia 4x4 and took the Lexus to work.

Right now, I have Bridgestone Turanza's but will plan on getting some snows in the fall. Do any of you keep the snow tires on seperate rims to make the changeover easier? Or do you dismount/remount each fall?

(to 'GKLCPA' : I live in the South Bend area. Been here about 11 years now)

I just had my first boston winter with my '98. Thankfully it was fairly mild. I had all weathers on the car and it handled all right. My worst trouble was getting in/out of snow filled parking lots. I purchased a set of summer tires and I haven't yet decided whether or not to keep the all weathers for the wintertime or just get some snow tires. Whichever I choose, I will be getting some cheapo still rims, as my alloys suffered some rust from all the salt/snow.

I have a 2000 LS400 and mount separate high performance snows 3 months out if the year here on Long Island. We don't get a constant amount of snow, but when we do Long Island is treacherous - as much for the weather as for vastly underprepared drivers! For the other nine months, I use Bridgestone Turanzas LS-Vs but am changing to Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position Tires.

I stongly favor buying an extra set of rims. I bought OEM lexus rims on Ebay for a good price and store the winter tires mounted, balanced and ready to go. I view the expense as only an initial expense as I am saving treadwear on my all seasons. BTW, I think the LS does very well for a powerful RWD vehicle. The ECT SNOW mode in the transmission and common sense helps a lot as well.

Mike

Landar,

[

Well all the information is beginning to explain the elusive response I got from the previous owner when I asked about how the Lexus does in the snow. Turns out the wife drove the Lex most of the time, except in the winter when hubby forked over the Toyota Sequouia 4x4 and took the Lexus to work.

Right now, I have Bridgestone Turanza's but will plan on getting some snows in the fall. Do any of you keep the snow tires on seperate rims to make the changeover easier? Or do you dismount/remount each fall?

(to 'GKLCPA' : I live in the South Bend area. Been here about 11 years now)

Do any of you keep the snow tires on seperate rims to make the changeover easier? Or do you dismount/remount each fall?

If you don't want the hassle of mounting each season, and don't want separate rims, the only way to go in my opinion is the Nokian WR tires. I have them on my LS4--they are the only tire I'm aware of that are truly all-season, yet also bear the important "mountain snowflake" extreme service rating. They have a special compound that isn't too soft for dry roads, so they don't get them eaten up during the summer months, but are truly a snow-rated tire. (Not the cheesy "all-season" ratings that most manufacturers have that are dreadful in any real snow).

As stated, we get over 350" per year of snow where I live. My coworker also keeps WRs on his A6 year round, since he hated having to swap out his snow/summer tires 2x per year.

Hope this helps.

Do any of you keep the snow tires on seperate rims to make the changeover easier? Or do you dismount/remount each fall?

If you don't want the hassle of mounting each season, and don't want separate rims, the only way to go in my opinion is the Nokian WR tires. I have them on my LS4--they are the only tire I'm aware of that are truly all-season, yet also bear the important "mountain snowflake" extreme service rating. They have a special compound that isn't too soft for dry roads, so they don't get them eaten up during the summer months, but are truly a snow-rated tire. (Not the cheesy "all-season" ratings that most manufacturers have that are dreadful in any real snow).

As stated, we get over 350" per year of snow where I live. My coworker also keeps WRs on his A6 year round, since he hated having to swap out his snow/summer tires 2x per year.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all and a special thanks to new2mud. I just happen to have Nokian WR's on my old ride(2000 Eclipse) and they are fantastic. I went to the local tire store in Dec. looking for new tires and the guy was raving about these Nokians. Have to admit that I had never heard of them before. But the siping is excellent and even though my Eclipse is FWD, I had never experienced such road gripping power before. With that setup, I could drive in just about any weather condition with confidence. BTW, the Eclipse is now in storage and up for sale...figures, after brand new Nokians for the Mitsu, I have to fall in love with a RWD Lexus :whistles: The Eclipse was my mid-life crisis car. The Lexus is my senior-life crisis car :rolleyes:

I do intend to get the WR's put on my LS this fall and give her a try (but gonna have a serious talk with the experienced guys at the tire shop first). Mud, you have renewed my hopes! Thanks again.

Knowing how picky the LS is about tires, I'd be really concerned tires like that would ruin the smooth and quiet ride when used year round...

I've got them on my car, firsthand experience. It is summer now, and the smooth ride is, well,... smooth!

Thanks to all and a special thanks to new2mud. I just happen to have Nokian WR's on my old ride(2000 Eclipse) and they are fantastic. I went to the local tire store in Dec. looking for new tires and the guy was raving about these Nokians. Have to admit that I had never heard of them before. But the siping is excellent and even though my Eclipse is FWD, I had never experienced such road gripping power before. With that setup, I could drive in just about any weather condition with confidence. BTW, the Eclipse is now in storage and up for sale...figures, after brand new Nokians for the Mitsu, I have to fall in love with a RWD Lexus :whistles: The Eclipse was my mid-life crisis car. The Lexus is my senior-life crisis car :rolleyes:

I do intend to get the WR's put on my LS this fall and give her a try (but gonna have a serious talk with the experienced guys at the tire shop first). Mud, you have renewed my hopes! Thanks again.

Landar, I hadn't heard of Nokians either until I moved to serious snow country. Those Finnish--they know how to make snow tires, considering their habitat and needs. Of course we here in the states know nothing about snow driving compared to them.

There is one thing I have noticed--they seem to be just a minor step below a truly dedicated snow tire in terms of ice traction. If the gap between an all-season and a dedicated 1-season snow tire were 3 vs. 10, I would put the WRs at an 8 or 9. But then again, if ice traction were a priority, you'd get studded snows anyway.

Overall, I don't think you'll be disappointed, considering the convenience.

• 6 months later...

Just an update to an older thread. We got the first significant snowfall of the season here of around 10" today.

I drove my Lex for the first time to work (about 30 miles one way) on snow-covered and somewhat icy roads.

I was very apprehensive at first after reading this thread because I do not have snow tires(unless Bridgestone Turanza's count).

The Lexus did extremely well. No surprise or squirrelly swerving, good rear traction, and it just seemed to plow right on thru.

I grew up driving RWD vehicles and this just felt confident, surefooted and predictable.

I could not disagree more that it is "undrivable" w/o snow tires. Oh sure, I dont doubt that the performance would be improved with snows,

but undrivable? Oh BTW, I do slow down when I drive in snow(as do others) and I was using the "snow/ECT" setting.

Maybe the expectation is to continue the 60 mph on snow-covered county roads? Not me.

Just an update to an older thread. We got the first significant snowfall of the season here of around 10" today.

I drove my Lex for the first time to work (about 30 miles one way) on snow-covered and somewhat icy roads.

I was very apprehensive at first after reading this thread because I do not have snow tires(unless Bridgestone Turanza's count).

The Lexus did extremely well. No surprise or squirrelly swerving, good rear traction, and it just seemed to plow right on thru.

I grew up driving RWD vehicles and this just felt confident, surefooted and predictable.

I could not disagree more that it is "undrivable" w/o snow tires. Oh sure, I dont doubt that the performance would be improved with snows,

but undrivable? Oh BTW, I do slow down when I drive in snow(as do others) and I was using the "snow/ECT" setting.

Maybe the expectation is to continue the 60 mph on snow-covered county roads? Not me.

I find that snow tires are most important when driving in deep snow on unplowed streets and parking lots and up and down steep hills on unplowed streets where the snow is fresh and has not been beaten down by traffic. I could get by with all season tires on plowed streets and parking lots or when the snow has been beaten down by traffic -- if I had all season tires. But I do not have all season tires and have driven lots of times on streets which have not been touched by snow plows or other traffic -- particularly when we travel in Iowa.

I use high performance summer tires on my 2000 LS400 -- similar to what was OEM standard equipment. All season tires were never standard on the LS400 and were a no cost option. IMO, all season tires are "OK" but summer tires make the car a lot more enjoyable during spring, summer and fall.

My "lead foot" co-worker with his 99 LS400 with Turanzas (sorry, Steve, if you read this!) seems pretty unhappy with the way his car handles in the snow. If he wasn't too CHEAP (sorry again, Steve) to buy a decent set of real snow tires, I think he would be very happy with the way his car handles in the winter.