Okay, I Need Some Help Here..

It's nice and warm out, got the A/C crankin'. What the :censored: is that noise? Squeak, squeak, squeak...the sunroof?

It turns out the seal at the rear edge of the sunroof is squeaking against the edge of the roof opening. It's really, really annoying. Anybody else ever have this happen?

I took a good look at the seal. It looks as good as new, but the sunroof panel does move up and down a bit at the back. What can I do? I tried silicone lube, no luck. I cleaned it, no better. Waxed it, OMG - it's worse!

In comparison to other cars, this seal is perfectly smooth. On some cars, I noticed the seal has a felt like covering; presumably to stop this kind of noise.

The question of the hour is: Does anyone elses sunroof seal on their GS have a felt like covering? Can somebody take a look please?

Really, not a drop of felt on mine. Looks as if there never was any. Are you referring to felt covering on the seal itself or lining the opening in the roof?

there should be a felt lining around the perimeter of the sunroof opening. it's black and feels like a brush with tiny brissels.

• 3 months later...

Guy

Was surfing the site today and found your May 04 posts on the squeaky sunroof. Did you ever solve the problem? I have a 98 GS300 moonroof that squeaks nearly all the time.

Have taken it to the shop and the Lexus guy says he's "tone deaf" to that particular sound and can't hear it!! I've had more people in the car complain about it (I pick up carpoolers every day). It's driving me crazy. Doesn't usually rattle when the roof is retracted all the way and it rattles less when its propped open...but it still rattles.

I love this car (had it nearly 4 years) and the roof has sqeaked since I bought it but now it's louder and more often than ever.

HELP!!!

Absolutely, it's fixed. Got a roll of 3M 5430 Anti Squeak Tape and cut it down the middle. I took the .5" strip and applied it all around the edge of the opening just level with the top of the roof. When the roof is closed, the tape is between the rubber seal and the metal edge of the opening. I cut the tape into 4 seperate pieces. I think I may have used the full width on the sides of the opening. Be careful to butt the ends of the pieces exactly. Not a squeak or a leak now! Lexus told me it could not be fixed. Yeah, OK! Oh yeah, you might try local auto stores. I found this tape at a mom & pop auto parts place for $10.00. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Ok - I have a 98 GS300 SE (UK model) with a rattling sunroof. It appears to be coming from directly above the driver (passenger in the US) side at the front and I'm pretty sure it's associated with the thin black 'u' shaped plastic trim attached to the glass. Can someone tell me how to remove this plastic trim (where exactly the clips are) - it seems awfully thin and brittle (probably why it rattles).

Many thanks

Ok - I have a 98 GS300 SE (UK model) with a rattling sunroof. It appears to be coming from directly above the driver (passenger in the US) side at the front and I'm pretty sure it's associated with the thin black 'u' shaped plastic trim attached to the glass. Can someone tell me how to remove this plastic trim (where exactly the clips are) - it seems awfully thin and brittle (probably why it rattles).

Many thanks

The black trim pieces will just pull off.

If you don't know already the UK forums are here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum

Absolutely, it's fixed. Got a roll of 3M 5430 Anti Squeak Tape and cut it down the middle. I took the .5" strip and applied it all around the edge of the opening just level with the top of the roof. When the roof is closed, the tape is between the rubber seal and the metal edge of the opening. I cut the tape into 4 seperate pieces. I think I may have used the full width on the sides of the opening. Be careful to butt the ends of the pieces exactly. Not a squeak or a leak now! Lexus told me it could not be fixed. Yeah, OK! Oh yeah, you might try local auto stores. I found this tape at a mom & pop auto parts place for $10.00. Good luck!

I've got the same problem on my 98" GS300. Im definitely gonna try that fix GuyTelefunken used to remedy the squeaking problem. Dealer told me the same thing..."I don't think it can be fixed...we checked it out and its fine." :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

do you have any pics of how and where to place the tape? When you say apply the tape all around the edge, which edge do you mean? Are we placing this tape on the cover where the handle is? or does it go on the actual moon roof?

Open the roof completely. Get out of the car. Put your hand on the metal car roof. Slide your hand towards the roof opening. When you get to the edge of the hole in the roof, you found the place where the tape starts. The top edge of the tape should be perfectly level or down .5mm below the metal around the roof opening, as viewed from the outside. Tape runs all around the opening, on all four sides including the corners. Adjust the size of the tape either with a straight edge and razor or scissors BEFORE you remove the backing. The tape is positioned as a barrier directly between the black gasket edge of the moving roof panel and the area at which it contacts the metal roof opening.

thank you, i will try this as soon as my tape arrives...the sweak is driving me crazy!

Open the roof completely. Get out of the car. Put your hand on the metal car roof. Slide your hand towards the roof opening. When you get to the edge of the hole in the roof, you found the place where the tape starts. The top edge of the tape should be perfectly level or down .5mm below the metal around the roof opening, as viewed from the outside. Tape runs all around the opening, on all four sides including the corners. Adjust the size of the tape either with a straight edge and razor or scissors BEFORE you remove the backing. The tape is positioned as a barrier directly between the black gasket edge of the moving roof panel and the area at which it contacts the metal roof opening.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same problem and also suspect the rattling to come from under those black cover strips. Was it easy to pull them off? Did you find the problem or did you end up using the velvet tape?

Thanks,

Robert

Many thanks

• 8 months later...

I tried the 3M tape fix but still have the rattle :cries: I am now thinking of removing the black flimsy trim on the moonroof. Someone mentioned that they simply pull off. Since they are so flimsy, is there any trick to this? Any insights are very much appreciated.

(99 GS300)

I've got the same problem and also suspect the rattling to come from under those black cover strips. Was it easy to pull them off? Did you find the problem or did you end up using the velvet tape?

Thanks,

Robert

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Update on sunroof creak / rattle / squeek... I removed the plastic trim - I used a "paint scraper" tool - short stubby handle with a wide thin blade. Trim came off easily - this cured the creaking sound. However I still had the rattle / squeek that disappears when the sunroof is tilted or slid back an inch or two. I removed the sunroof completely, drove round the block - squeek still there. I removed the interior light / sunroof switch unit. Poked around inside and found a lot of wires and stuff in there just hanging around so I tidied it all up with some tape and foam and put it all back together. It's been well over 6 months now with no squeeks or rattles. I didn't put the trim pieces back and I didn't put any tape around the opening.

• 2 weeks later...
Update on sunroof  creak / rattle / squeek... I removed the plastic trim - I used a "paint scraper" tool - short stubby handle with a wide thin blade. Trim came off easily - this cured the creaking sound. However I still had the rattle / squeek that disappears when the sunroof is tilted or slid back an inch or two. I removed the sunroof completely, drove round the block - squeek still there. I removed the interior light / sunroof switch unit. Poked around inside and found a lot of wires and stuff in there just hanging around so I tidied it all up with some tape and foam and put it all back together. It's been well over 6 months now with no squeeks or rattles. I didn't put the trim pieces back and I didn't put any tape around the opening.

Thanks for posting. This is interesting. B) I noticed that in my 99 GS300 some of the rattle comes from the moonroof cover. When I push it all the way back the sounds disappear. Which makes me wonder whether you did anything with the cover?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
This tape didnt help in fact now i hear an air sound like my window is cracked a little and letting air in.  Did anyone have similar issues or different fixes.

That's unfortunate. As I mentioned almost a year ago, I applied the tape fix. Lucky for me, it is still perfect; noiseless and leak-free.

• 1 month later...
This tape didnt help in fact now i hear an air sound like my window is cracked a little and letting air in.  Did anyone have similar issues or different fixes.

Unfortunately I had a similar experience. The tape was not a solution for me either. I noticed that when I open or close the sunroof cover briskly the rattle is gone for sometime. I removed the side covers covering the shorter rails but am not sure whether this had any beneficial effect.

Quite frankly I am highly surprised and disappointed that a luxury car manufacturer which prides itself on quality can get away with this major design flaw. I wonder whether there are any lawsuits filed based on this complaint.

Unfortunately I had a similar experience. The tape was not a solution for me either. I noticed that when I open or close the sunroof cover briskly the rattle is gone for sometime. I removed the side covers covering the shorter rails but am not sure whether this had any beneficial effect.

Quite frankly I am highly surprised and disappointed that a luxury car manufacturer which prides itself on quality can get away with this major design flaw. I wonder whether there are any lawsuits filed based on this complaint.

Lawsuits over a noise? Get real. If a lawsuit was to be filed for the sake of a noise, the German automakers would be out of business. :rolleyes: