Power Steering Leak

I just took my 96 ES 300 to the dealership and they said I have a power steering leak. They said I will need to replace the pump and some high pressure lines or something. The total cost...$1660

Just wondering if this is a reasonable price before I have the work done.

Also, I know a pretty good mechanic that has done work for us in the past. Are there certain things (like this or anything else) that should only be done by the dealer or is it ok to have a local mechanic do the work?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

gs--

i just hate to hear stories like this. 1600 big ones to do a job which

i would think probably only involves a small pump leak which could be repaired with a couple new o-rings. ask your dealership specifically

where the leak is. i'm betting it is a am

gs--

i just hate to hear stories like this. 1600 big ones to do a job which

i would think probably only involves a small pump leak which could be repaired with a couple new o-rings. ask your dealership specifically

where the leak is. i'm betting it is only the pump and if you have a

fairly competent local mechanic, he could do a seal replacement

job for the cost of the seal kit...$30 and whatever labor cost he

charges ...i doubt over $300 at most.

there are big ripoffs with dealers re replacement parts u dont need.

they get their markup for the parts (not needed to begin with) and then charge u to install more stuff u dont needl..if they ever get installed.

remember, sales are sales whether it is the suede shoe operators out

there trying to sell you a car or someone selling services. they have their quotas to meet..lot of pressure.

dont fall prey,

lexie

Wow. I'm glad I checked here first.

I will definitely have our mechanic take a look at it. Is there anything that should only be done by the Lexus dealer or is it pretty much ok to have a local mechanic do any repairs that come up?

I appreciate everyone's responses. These forums are so helpful!!!

gshawns,

Our LS400's have this little "solenoid screen" - which has gotten a lot of press lately and could be an instigator of these leaks. It's located on the steering rack as it heads up into the steering column. It will have some electrical connection to it.

Anyway, the solenoid can be removed to access this screen. Since your going to get it worked on anyway, I highly suggest taking a look at this screen.....if it is full of gunk, this "back pressure" could help cause the leak.

Look up "solenoid screen" or similar on the search engine - a discussion is on the LS400 board.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I took my car to our mechanic and asked him to estimate what it would cost to fix the power steering leak.

Turns out I don't even have a power steering leak! A few months back I had my valve cover gaskets replaced because they were leaking. Turns out that what the dealer thought was a leak was just left over oil from the valve cover gaskets.

Wow! I just saved $1600! Thanks to everyone for your advice. This site is definitely proving to be valuable!

you should go back to the dealership/service manager (do not let them know that you already determined the source of the leak) and ask what happens if you have it done and the leak still remains. Ask them if they will refund you $1600. If they say no, then tell them it is a good thing that you asked cause they would have screwed you.

Then explain that you had another shop check it out, it wasn't a power steering leak and that it would be a good idea if their tech that performed the initial diagnosis on your car get a little more training.

Believe it or not, but service centers DO need feedback of this sort so that they may improve their services.

Ok, ok, you don't have to be as cynical and sarcastic as I would be, but sometimes it is fun just to see their faces. :whistles:

steviej