Gs400 Has "clear Title With Salvage History"

Hi Everyone...

I'm trying to get into a GS400...so far I haven't found any great great deals or anything.

There is this one GS400 for sale though. 1998 GS400 with 68K miles asking price is 15500 but he said he would take 15000 i might be abel to get him down some more.

But the guy said he buys lexuses and toyotas from insurance companies and fixes them then resells. them. according to him the front end damage wasn't too bad to begin with. silver in color.

what kinds of things am I going to encounter with this car if it has the salvage history? will the paint stay glossy like the original? Is the car's longevity affected? what do you think about the price?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay

Will the paint stay glossy? You really have no idea what you're looking at do you? If the paint is all you're worried about, then by all means go for it. I'd be more worried about "the little damage" that caused the title to be branded "salvage" in the first place. The damage had to have been substantial in the first place for the insurance company to declare "salvage" in the first place. On high valued cars such as these, the insurance companies just don't write them off for no reason.

Advice: Run away quickly.

Will the paint stay glossy? You really have no idea what you're looking at do you? If the paint is all you're worried about, then by all means go for it.

Man that is too funny... :D :D

Check it bro, there is no such thing as "little damage" if the insurance company paid the claim and took it from the owner.. That most likely means it was totaled out.. And another thing, if you have 15 grand or so to spend on a GS, buy a 98 GS3 and turbo it.. Or just keep on looking and while you wait just stack your funds untill you have enough.. Trust me, you'll find something.. Don't rush into it, if you do that you'll definitely regret it after you findout what you really bought.. Listen, don't be impulsive and if a deal seems to good to be true then there most likely is a good reason for that.. Goodluck with your search..

Thanks good idea. Never let yourself get taken out on an emotional sale.

I have another question. What are your thoughts on a GS400 or 300 with over 100,000 miles on it? Most cars with that kind of mileage wouldn't appeal to most people. But with Lexus I've heard stories that they can go for 200,000 miles easy. Do they lose performance or are there any costly repairs that are common with these cars after the 100K mile mark?

Thanks.

Jay, both those guys are super knowledgeable and completely right.

This car had to have been totaled. That doesn't mean a train hit it, just that the cost to rebuild was close to, or over, the average retail price of the car.

I agree, you should run from it.

btw, Toyota/Lexus engines are good for very high mileage. So are Honda/Acura engines and to my knowledge, certain Nissan engines. (not necessarily Mitsu though)

My 91 Acura has 168,000 and has never leaked a drop of oil. Runs like a champ.

My 99 Lexus GS400 now has 90,000 and as far as I am concerned, it runs and drives like new. :D

an insurance company will not cover a car that has been salvaged IF it is being financed. if you pay cash for the car then they will.

i bought a 98gs300 with 51,000 miles on it recently for 17K. it was super clean and i love it! of course it took me 2 1/2 months to find it but when i did i jumped on it.

take your time and do not settle for a junker with preatty paint.

• 4 years later...

u]Jay,

Run, dont walk away. Salvage titles are a NO GO.

About the only time you should consider one is if you were in the car when it was basically totalled or you are a certified mechanic who knows how to work on Lexus products. Insurance companies do not like to declare luxury vehicles total loss (same as Salvage). Too expensive of an adjustment for them,, they will do it more quickly with a Chev Impala or Taurus.

If the seller is downplaying it (ususally the case playing off ignorance),, be extremely cautious its the oldest trick in town.. If it looks to good to be true,,,, it is. Remember too, if you ever decide to sell it,, you will have the same issue regardless of how well the car is running. All astude, smart, and savy car buyers will never buy a salvage title regardless of how good the car looks. There are some buyers who look for salvaged cars, but normally will drive them into the ground or polish it and look for a simple minded buyer. Just 2 cents.

Nice of you to respond but the thread is old as dirt.... look at the date from the initial post...

i noticed that after reading a few..... wow that man sure brought up a blast from the past....i was wondering y someone would pay 15k for the gs400 n then i started noticing stuff!

hahaha ahhhhh a oldie