Dash Lighting

I own a 96 ES300, the dashboard lighting has begun to diminish over the past year...first it was the middle, then the upper right..now only the top is on..at night time , you can only see the speedometer, and not the level guages or anything else..is this a fuse problem? i have heard rumors that it cost LOTS of money from the dealer to get this problem repaired? any suggestions?

This will help , contact lextech.org you will be able to send your existing cluster to them and they will put in new backlights and rework your needles to a desirable color [ yellow , red , or stock amber ] the cost is around $120.00 for the yellow and more for other colors . Y ou can drive the es without the cluster just make sure that the tank is kept full and follow traffic for speed [ I know this sounds weird but it is true ] . I had my wifes 93 es done and everything is like new . I have a extra cluster if you need one to get you by for the rebuild it takes about 10 days from shipping to receiving your rebuilt . just trying to help you out I went through 4 clusters from ebay and boneyards and there is not a like new cluster used that you can buy outright , they all need work. pm or e-mail me with questions if you want the interim cluster . I can also give you all the removal and install instructions that you need . I FEEL YOUR PAIN

dc-- some comments from a previous post i made

----------------------------

i was doing some research on replacing the bulbs in my dash and went to the clublexus forum for any info that might help re this subject. i found this series of posts and strangely enuf the first post asked the following question:

"It looks like 2 bulbs have burnt out in my cluster....the one that lights up the 60 and 80mph areas on the speedometer, and then I have one burnt out at the 5-6k range on the tach. Does anyone have part numbers for these bulbs? Id assume they are the same bulb."

these were the exact same bulbs (area) that were dark on both my speedo and tach. well, the next post gave the part number and another the oem bulb price and another commented on buying replacement bulbs for 2-3 bucks at auto zone and a few more posts about replacing the bulbs and then this guy posts a real bomb.

he says, "you may be supprised but if you just give your dash a couple of hard pounds, this can revive the lights". so, the guy apparently followed his advice and lo and behold his lights came back to life.

i couldn't wait to get to my machine ('93 sc400..same as the guy above) and try this masterful stroke of genius. i fired the car up and, altho i am not one for beating on any part of the car, i gave the dash a nice volley of blows and would you believe... both dark areas came to life. the originator of this unique cost saving approach to dash light repair also said that most likely the lights will fade again but a occasional nice blow will restore them. no problem with that.

hey, there is more. i go back in the house and am pondering what more i need to do to have my total lighting system back to complete normal. well, there was only one other area that was dark(1/2 out) and that was the a/c led display, which seems to be another vulnerable spot for my model car.

back out to the chine, crank it up and lay a couple of nice ones to the area just above the a/c display and for the first time in 4 yrs, the whole unit came to vibrant life.

guys, tell me... can it get any better than this considering i was just about to pull the dash out for bulb replacement and also redo the a/c display, which i think requires soldering to correct.

-----------------------------

it may be worth a try on your part.

lexie

This will help , contact lextech.org you will be able to send your existing cluster to them and they will put in new backlights and rework your needles to a desirable color [ yellow , red , or stock amber ] the cost is around $120.00 for the yellow and more for other colors . Y ou can drive the es without the cluster just make sure that the tank is kept full and follow traffic for speed [ I know this sounds weird but it is true ] . I had my wifes 93 es done and everything is like new . I have a extra cluster if you need one to get you by for the rebuild it takes about 10 days from shipping to receiving your rebuilt . just trying to help you out I went through 4 clusters from ebay and boneyards and there is not a like new cluster used that you can buy outright , they all need work. pm or e-mail me with questions if you want the interim cluster . I can also give you all the removal and install instructions that you need . I FEEL YOUR PAIN

thanks for the advice..when i get home tonight...i will test out the "beating and pounding" technique...but i have heard rumors that the problem can be fixed thru the FUSE box..my dad owns an LS400 but he has never had this problem..then i have heard rumors that you have to take the actual display glass off to get to the problem...but tonight i will try all the techniques out

Beating on it works...temporarily...it'll last till the next time you beat on it :lol: As for the fuse box fix, I doubt that; it's a bulb problem from my experience. I replaced 2 of them, close in location to the ones you said in fact, and now I have 2 that are this nice crisp bright bluish-white color and the rest are a faded dim offwhite, ivory perhaps. I'm the only one who can see it though apparently b/c I've asked everyone who's been in my car and they all think I'm crazy...maybe so :rolleyes:

those are characteristics of bulbs. They behave such because they are on the verge to becoming dead. The hitting and beating or shaking works only until the bulbs get real bad enough .... id replace them... cause sooner or later youll have to... Unless this is a connection problem... which i really doubt

OK , here is the real deal the bulbs have two contacts on the base , they plug into the socket that fits into the circuit board with a 1/2 turn , the contacts get worn and weak from agitation , and expansion and contraction over time and the only way that one is going to control this activity is to pry ever so slightly the contacts of the bulbs out to make sure that they are in full contact with the base that holds them in the circuit board [ see attached pix ] the replacement bulb # is 8640 EIKO BULB , I have them in front of me as I type , sku # 3129340982 these are the replacement bulbs for every backlight in the cluster there are 4 lights behind the tach and 4 behind the speedo in the 92-96 es300 I HAVE REPLACED THE BULBS MYSELF AND HAVE ALL AND EVERY PIX FROM START TO FINISH FROM THE REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE , [ the file pix are too big to post , if you want them e-mail or PM , IF YOU NEED THE NEEDLES REWORKED THERE IS THE KLUDGE FIX -PAINT THE NEEDLES FLOURESCENT AND WIRE A COLD CATHODE TUBE [ BLACKLIGHT ] UNDER THE FACEPLATE / there is a thread that explains this in great detail or have lextech.org do them for you THIS IS NOT ADVERTISING , just the only guys that will do this that I know of .

post-7-1084771679.jpg

I fyou don't have any commercial photo editing software, (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc), MS Photo Editor is a cheap alternative that is shipped with Office. If it basic but will resize a standard jpg or gif picture. 600 x 450 pixels is a good size for posting. Save it in the highest compression that is allowed.

If you download to the gallery, then form a link in your post to the gallery, the pics will be immediately viewable in your posts. No clicking on an underline title of the pic.

steviej