No trunk access?

GrvyrdLS

I bought a 92’ LS400 about 4 months ago, I’m still figuring it all out. I do know that there is no key to my trunk. The key hole inside the cabin for the ignition key to unlock the trunk is also missing? Like someone took it out. I would love to actually be able to use my trunk but I don’t know what to do now. I don’t have a key fob, my ignition key is just a plain metal key 

So there is no switch to unlock the trunk? I never heard of using a key in the dash to perform that function. Normally the ignition key would be able to unlock the trunk.

At least that's how I remember it from many years ago.

If you have to, you can get a locksmith to make you a key for the trunk.

I have a '98 model, and haven't been inside a '92, so I'm not sure it'll be the same between the years, but in mine, the lock near the trunk switch is only there to disable the switch. You don't necessarily need a key to open the trunk unless that button has been depressed. If the lock cylinder has been taken out, you should be able to look in the hole and there's likely going to be something straight back or along the walls of the hole that can be manipulated with a screwdriver. Attached is just a quick video of how my own lock works; you can hear at the end when the trunk actually pops open.

Jeremy, is the key in the video specific for this function or is it the ignition key as well? Is there an external keyhole at the trunk location?

The key is my normal ignition key, and there's just the one key for both ignition and body locks for my car. There is also a lock for the trunk on my car located on the passenger side of the trunk, just below and to the left of the LS400 badge.

It sounds like the OP has only a valet key which cannot be used to unlock the trunk at the keyhole by the taillight.  The OP needs to get a master key which can be fairly expensive.  I think a master key can be obtained without replacing an expensive ECU as long as the owner has a valet key that can operate the ignition and allow the car to be driven.  The master key will have a button that can remotely lock and unlock the vehicle.  Unlike the master keys/fobs for second generation LS400, the master key for the first generation (90-94) has only one button. 

While getting a master key may be fairly expensive - up to several hundred dollars - it's critical to have at least one.  If you have only one valet key and lose it, you are SOL and may have to spend far more.  I was so protective of the master keys for the 1990 and 2000 LS400's I owned that I had extra ones that I kept in a fireproof safe. 

2 minutes ago, 1990LS400 said:

It sounds like the OP has only a valet key which cannot be used to unlock the trunk at the keyhole by the taillight.  The OP needs to get a master key which can be fairly expensive.  I think a master key can be obtained without replacing an expensive ECU as long as the owner has a valet key that can operate the ignition and allow the car to be driven.  The master key will have a button that can remotely lock and unlock the vehicle.  Unlike the master keys/fobs for second generation LS400, the master key for the first generation (90-94) has only one button. 

While getting a master key may be fairly expensive - up to several hundred dollars - it's critical to have at least one.  If you have only one valet key and lose it, you are SOL and may have to spend far more.  I was so protective of my LS400 master keys for the 1990 and 2000 LS400's I owned that I had extra ones that I kept in a fireproof safe. 

Hi.  I own a 1995. This was before the immobilizer era 1998 onwards that made things more expensive here ?  I had one master key but wanted two. Our keys here in Sweden do not have any buttons 1995. I have instead a separate little fob for the remote  lock stuff. 

I was told by my local key shop that there is one locksmith company in the area that has a machine that can make the  TOYOTA/ LEXUS keys for the older cars. When I got there they said that they could make a copy for me from the old key but IF I could produce the four digit Key code ( was in the papers I got with the car ) They could make a key that was OEM quality (on a TOYOTA blank).  It took a few minutes . Cost was 30$ . Could be that the dealer still can provide a key also.    

• 2 months later...

You’ll have have to pull the assembly where the lock is under your dash where the key insert for security goes and take the brass/golden looking ring pop it off the round piece inside and beyond that will be a small plastic piece that locks in place when u actually push the security switch in whether or not the key is inserted it will be able to be pushed in and this locks that piece, where u have to take a little flat head get in there an just push it slightly an it will pop back and at this point u should be Able to pop the trunk open! 

On 2/12/2022 at 7:50 PM, Jeremy M. said:

I have a '98 model, and haven't been inside a '92, so I'm not sure it'll be the same between the years, but in mine, the lock near the trunk switch is only there to disable the switch. You don't necessarily need a key to open the trunk unless that button has been depressed. If the lock cylinder has been taken out, you should be able to look in the hole and there's likely going to be something straight back or along the walls of the hole that can be manipulated with a screwdriver. Attached is just a quick video of how my own lock works; you can hear at the end when the trunk actually pops open.

This is a better explanation… way better than mine! You’ll have to pop off the dash underneath the steering wheel which isn’t to hard along with all the wire connections not to hard and don’t forget that there’s a piece at ur ignition switch that pops out allowing two screw placements to be accessed which will release that part of plastic paneling in order to get to the switch assembly behind the panel!