Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rotated crank over twice (from what was thought TDC)  clockwise w/o timing belt and lined up the marks. Now when i rotate the crank over with timing belt it locks up about 10 degrees clockwise.

Wondering should I line it back to TDC marks and move the cams around a revolution and see what happens.

Any help appreciated thanks !

Be very careful since you can potentially trash the engine. It seems like the pistons are contacting the valves. I would make sure that everything is in the correct position before proceeding and I can't be sure without knowing what you did before you removed the belt. Are you using a factory service manual or one of the online tutorials?

• Like 1

I bought the chilton diy online manual for my lexus ls400 99 and it is pretty helpful but it doesn't give good details like the books and ive been trying to get as much truthful online info as i can. When I lined everything up to TDC the first time it lined up to a gash mark on the LH cam and not the normal 2 marks in the same linear spot that you'd normaly use to line them up so i used that the first time and put everything back together and tried to turn it over and only got clicks from the spark plugs then i took it all back off back to where the marks were thought to be TDC and lined then up to the factory marks and got the same thing, It will begin to crank but stops abruptly just a few degrees past thought tdc. 

I was getting help from my dad who didn't know jack about toyotas and rotated the crank over twice because he passed the mark slightly and didnt want to rotate it back which was all wrong. I was telling him that it's not okay to turn everything and you'll break it vvti, interference engine blah blah

I was assuming i was on a valve, so theoretically if the crank is at tdc or where the pistons were down i could rotate the cams and attempt to get the valves closed and rotate everything over 720 degrees with the belt and double check which i failed to do my first attempts. 

THANKS !!

On 1/17/2020 at 11:20 PM, Techy said:

Rotated crank over twice (from what was thought TDC)  clockwise w/o timing belt and lined up the marks. Now when i rotate the crank over with timing belt it locks up about 10 degrees clockwise.

Wondering should I line it back to TDC marks and move the cams around a revolution and see what happens.

Any help appreciated thanks !

This is the best online tutorial for your car that landar put together. Try to see what you have been missing.

98 1uz-fe Timing Belt And Water Pump Replacement How_to

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Bman6
      I have a 97 es300. Over 3 hundred thousand miles on it. Bought it for $600 top of this year February 2017 for those that ask. The last owner did not take very good care of the car at all but I needed a car to get myself to work & back home.
      Anyways, I know my struts are out but whenever I drive on dry roads the car is fine. But whenever it rains it gets stupid. The car would drive all over the place not staying steady. I'm sure I just gave myself a answer but keep in mind the tires are new. Shouldn't be a problem. However, when it did rain back couple of months back I would be able to drive the car fine aswell. This is why it's not making any sense to me. Can anyone help me out with this problem to why the car is doing this other than get new struts & good luck with that lol I know the mechanic wants $500 or more for the labor.
      Thanks in advance
    • By bloodF0XX
      HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
      Ok, so i pulled a dumb and challenged myself to build a car in 1 week, putting a Lexus 1uz onto a w58 into a Mk3 Supra,
      but I hit a major roadblock... My engine won't run, it'll crank but nothing more.  I've been trying to get my engine to run for the past three days, literally have been working on it for 10 hours each day at least, and have somehow gotten nowhere.

What I have -
      -I have the 1UZFE VVTi engine (I believe it came out of a 99-00 Lexus SC400) just the motor, no transmission
      -I have the ECU (that I believe is the original stock ECU)
      -I have the stock wiring engine wiring loom which came pre-plugged in and all that

My engine

My engine again

Wiring loom and ECU

ECU

What I've done - 
      -Connected the EB2 (2) wire which is black with red stripe (I believe is ignition 1) directly to the positive to the battery
      -Connected the EB2 (3) wire which is also black with red stripe but physically larger(I believe the starter power wire) directly to the  positive on the battery
      -Connected the IJ2 (11) wire which is black with orange stripe with silver dots directly to the positive on the battery
      -Connected the IJ2 (11) wire which is yellow with black stripe directly to the positive on the battery
      -Put in new SAE 5W-30 oil, there is an oil leak but it has enough oil to run

IJ2(11)

top left EB2(3), middle bottom EB2(2), top right EB1(4)

What I've tried -
      -Used starter fluid spray directly in the air intake, did NOT work
      -I plugged in a blade fuse in the power and ground wire(i think) of the transmission plug to try to trick it into thinking it was in park because maybe the ECU wouldn't let it run, did NOT work
      -Bought and connected a MAF sensor (from a junkyard Toyota) and plugged it right in without an air intake, i was told it would run without one but got one anyways because i also heard it the ECU won't let it run without MAF input, did NOT work
      -Looped (plug a wire in power running to ground) O2 sensors near transmission plug, tested with and without, did NOT work
      -Cleaned spark plugs for healthy ground
      -Tested power to ECU, it was receiving power (12.6 Volts approx)
      -Probably a lot more but writing this from my crappy memory now

MAF sensor plugged into MY engine

Transmission plug with blade fuse

Final words -
      - I believe the ECU is not sending signals to the spark plugs, therefore there's no combustion, I don't know why
      - I have spent hours and hours and hours on lots of forums trying to figure this out myself, obviously couldn't solve the problem
      - I may just be missing something important, honestly I don't know now
      - I tried to be as descriptive as can be because I know that helps others diagnose the problem
      - If you have a question just ask, and I'll answer it to the best of my capabilities or I will honestly tell you I don't know
      - PLEASE TEXT OR CALL ME AT 512-720-1166 IF YOU THINK YOU CAN HELP, OR HAVE A SUGGESTION

More engine photos -

• By AZcelsior
      Hey everyone, 1st post on this site because I need some serious help. I tackled the timing belt this weekend and am ready to install the new t-belt, but the cams moved on me. How can I move them back and where is TDC for this engine? Is it at the 50 degree mark or at the "T" mark? I've managed to confuse myself and want to be 100% sure as this is a critical procedure.. Thanks
    • By Holger
      Hallo together,
      first please excuse my bad English.
      My Name is Holger I´m from Germany and I did bought (may not a good deal) a 00 LS 400 with low mileage.
      but it seems the knock Sensor is not working.
      OBD Error: P0325 - Generic
      Type Powertrain - Ignition System or Misfire - ISO/SAE Controlled
      Description
      Knock Sensor 1 Circuit
      Location Bank 1 or Single Sensor I did found by searching:
      in http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/31948-replace-knock-sensors/

You can change the knock sensors and wire harness without removing the intake manifold. Remove the EGR valve, PCV hose and you can get you hand into the V area of the block. A 27mm socket and small rachet with a flex head and the job is done.
      and in an other board:
      "
      IThe good news is that I just finished changing the right-side knock sensor, and the problem is fixed (no more pinging). It was fairly easy to change the sensor. The whole job including test drives took about 1 1/2 hours. I removed a couple of the plastic cover pieces between the manifold and the valve cover, and with a long screwdriver, gently removed the connector on the sensor (accessed on the right side of the engine thru the small openings around the manifold). I removed the knock sensor using a long 3/8 extension with a universal joint and a 1 1/16" sensor socket taped together to hold the tools together. I installed the new sensor using tape on the socket to hold it in place. FYI - The sensors are very tight in the block
      Read more: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/183789-gen-1-ls400-knock-sensor-replacement.html#ixzz3sKFHmoMt
      "
      So my question i did not find an Answer:
      does this way to do the work similar with the VVTI Engine in the Late LS400? (Both up are for the older Engines)
      and may if any ever did change in the late Engine, did you use an OEM Part without Problems?
      Thank You!