alecxjk

1992 es300 misfire when idling

So basically here is whats happening. I own a 1992 es300 with 112,000 miles on it. I bought the car about 3 months ago with 105,000 miles on it. All in all its a pretty decent set of wheels for a poor 22 year old college student, however it has a couple of problems. The primary issue is this. When I stop at a light and the car is idling it will idle at about 750rpm, however after idling for a couple of minutes it will drop to about 500rpms, and this is when a single misfire occurs. The misfire is completely random, and sometimes doesn't happen at all, however i noticed when the A/C or heater or just the fan for the vents is on, the misfire seems to be more consistent. The car does not misfire while driving, only when idling or after freshly shifting into gear. This problem is driving me crazy, Ive replaced the O2 sensors, the spark plugs, and got a complete tune up done. There is no check engine light. Ive done a ton of research and from what I can tell it is either the ignition coils failing, or something to do with the fuel injectors. But before i shell out more money that I dont have I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the issue or has experienced a similiar issue themselves? Also i feel it neccecary to mention the transmission is slipping, not all the time, but sometimes it does slip, im taking it to get looked at next week. Its a great car and honestly Id hate to get rid of it so soon.Thanks in advance for anyone who responds, i really appreciate it. Also I read on here that i should be using 91 octane fuel instead of 87 is this true?

Is your car new enough to have a diagnostic port you can plug into and check for error codes? I would think the transmission slipping could be a bigger/more expensive job than the misfire in my opinion.

Premium fuel is generally a bit better in that it also uses detergents too, so it can help to keep everything clean. Personally, if you're having problems then using better gas might not be a bad idea anyway just to see if it helps.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By SvpremeKai
      Hello everyone! I’m pretty new here, and before I ask my question, yes I’ve been throughout forums seeking answers and have tried a few things but now I feel as though I need advice. 

Recently grabbed a ‘93 LS400 that’s been misfiring. I just had the alternator and belt tensioner replaced but the car did stall out on me due to very rough and low idle. Check engine code comes up for the mass air flow sensor and TPS, both of which were replaced and recently adjusted by my mechanic. I had heard that if the catalytic converters were glowing red that means that they were possibly clogged, possibly oil in the cylinders leaking(?). I’m not sure, I’m fairly new to these vehicles in general. 
      One thing to keep note of is, the check engine light is illuminated. When I give the car gas it shows major power loss, however halfway thru second gear the car starts to pickup/ maintain speed and the check engine light goes away. Once I come to a stop, or even let off the gas for a bit the CEL comes back. Complete stop brings the rough idle back. I did read that the ignition coils could be to blame as well. I changed the one dead center in the engine, but not the second one by the battery.

My question is should I be weary of the cats? My plan was the yank them and simply straight pipe the car on back. However efficiency is all I want now considering I haven’t had time to even enjoy the car since I purchased it 😟 

1993 LS400 
      188,114 Miles

• By BeachBumForever
      2003 ES300 - The passenger side light on the trunk is not lighting and indicator on dash shows it is not working. I found the replacement bulb (7440 single filament) but have no idea of how to remove trunk liner for access to the bulb. Trunk liner seems to be held in place with plastic push pins and I don't want to break any. Any advice will be appreciated.
    • By JADV
      2002 ES300  175,000 miles  Has problem with intermittent exhaust smoke at start up.  Not always, mostly after highway driving.  Uses 1 quart of oil between 3,000 mile oil changes
    • By RicoRx
      2 different issues here. I have a 2001 rx300 with 176k.  
      Issue 1:  Recently I had my exhaust completely replaced.  After it was replaced, I noticed it was hesitating to accelerate. Doesn't do it all the time but noticeable. Did not happen prior to exhaust replacement.
      Issue 2:  At the same time I have noticed it was hard to break. Breaks got really hard to stop. Sometimes at a full stop and car in gear after about 10 secs or so the break pedal wold push a little further down. As if some pressure was released. I checked fluid and thats good. No leak from calipers. Pumped breaks when car was off until it got hard.  Turned car on and got travel of the break pedal, so I assume my booster and MC are still functioning.  Any help would be appreciated.  
    • By BeachBumForever
      What do you all suggest as the best pure synthetic oil for a 2003 ES 300 with 209,000 miles? Runs perfectly with a very small (weekly drip) using Mobil 1 (5W-20). Also, what filter is recommended. Located in NC Piedmont region. Car is only driven <5000 miles a year.