siddhartha

Check Engine Light And Cruise Control

ES 300 2003

My check engine light comes on. The code is related to the Knock Sensor. My mechanic (very trustworthy) says it needs to be replaced with the wiring harness (service = $900). Funny thing is, if I never put it in Cruise Control the engine light doesn't come on. When on the highway, and the engine light comes on while cruise control is enabled, and the engine downshifts going up a steep hill it then fails to shift back to OD, which I believe is a symptom of the Knock Sensor being bad. It is just odd that if i don't put it in cruise control it never does that. Does this mean my Knock Sensors aren't bad, but it is actually something with the cruise control?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By @lex
      Right after left gas cap loose (cuz the hook/wouldn't let turn much) the Check Engine light came on and remains on even after tightening gas cap.
      Where is the OBD port location on the 2007 RX400h?
      What Diagnostic Scanner tool (from ebay/amazon or similar in USA) is good for this Hybrid and how do I clear/reset the check engine light??
      Tanks!
    • By Martin7097
      So I have a 2006 Lexus ES330 with 83,000 miles.  It's been a great car so far.  I have noticed the acceleration slip that most people talk about but I'm ok with that.  I just had a new  battery put in three days ago under warranty because  my battery of less than two years completely died. I also had my inspection done at the same time and passed. According to Firestone they tested  my alternator and it was fine.   So now three days later I am driving and my car goes nuts like it's having a power surge, I can tell the accelerator isn't engaging, the dash lights (brake, ABS, check engine and a faint battery light) come on and my air starts blowing super high, then low and does this about 3 times before I shut it off.  I parked the car and after about 1 min all the dash lights go off but the check engine light.  I go to auto zone and have them run a diagnostic and it shows my vehicle speed sensor caused the check engine light to come on. Well that doesn't explain the power surge and my speedometer (which is usually the first to go if the sensor is bad) is working fine.  Any ideas???
    • By onnomvansanten
      From one day to the next my cruise control system does not work. When I engage it by pressing the button following message is displayed "Check Cruise System"
      It does not respond to pressing forward (to disengage the radar control and just go to regular - which I mostly use) or any variant thereof. so I am thinking that it could be a fuse. But my owners manual does not show what fuse it involved and where it is located, so maybe someone here know which would save me from checking every single fuse in the car.
      If you have any other solution....................please do say so. Lexus dealer is good, but they are waaaaaay overpriced (I was quoted 1050+ tax for a replacement of auto levelling sensor - did it myself for 305 in 15 minutes)
      Thank you very much
    • By jaredmac11
      1997 Es300.
      Several months back, my odometer, speedometer, and cruise control stopped working.  It was just a flash at first, maybe once a week.  Then it seemed to go out for a month then came back, then it went away for good.
      I replaced both vehicle speed sensors.  Both taken from a Lexus ES300 transmission from a salvage yard.  I also plugged in 2 instrument clusters from that yard.  Neither of these seemed to fix the issue.  I have read from ONE source that the ABS wheel speed sensor could lead to this issue.  I was working on the brakes on the driver front side a bit before this started to happen, so maybe the issue is tied together here.  The part is coming in at the end of the month.

Has anyone ran in to this issue?  What resolved it?  Google hasnt been all too helpful.  The issue seems to be sporadic from the 2-wire VSS, the 3-wire VSS (goes deep in to the transmission), or bad instrument cluster wiring
      Edit:  Only hesitation regarding the Wheel Speed sensor is that I only have the CEL, blanked odometer, non functioning Cruise control and a non-functioning speedometer.  I do NOT have any other lights, ABS or otherwise.
    • By joep54
      I have a 1999 RX 300 with 186k miles on it.  Kept getting code for knock sensors, so i had mechanic change the sensors as the car would no go out of overdrive.  Well had Knock sensors replaced and the P0325 and P0330 came back and car will not go into overdrive again.  Any suggestions on what else to try.  I have put in the Premium gas but that has not helped.  The car runs great but MPG is down and worry about log trips.  Will take any suggestions to help take care of problem or can i just  drive it like it is?