So I have a 2006 Lexus ES330 with 83,000 miles.  It's been a great car so far.  I have noticed the acceleration slip that most people talk about but I'm ok with that.  I just had a new  battery put in three days ago under warranty because  my battery of less than two years completely died. I also had my inspection done at the same time and passed. According to Firestone they tested  my alternator and it was fine.   So now three days later I am driving and my car goes nuts like it's having a power surge, I can tell the accelerator isn't engaging, the dash lights (brake, ABS, check engine and a faint battery light) come on and my air starts blowing super high, then low and does this about 3 times before I shut it off.  I parked the car and after about 1 min all the dash lights go off but the check engine light.  I go to auto zone and have them run a diagnostic and it shows my vehicle speed sensor caused the check engine light to come on. Well that doesn't explain the power surge and my speedometer (which is usually the first to go if the sensor is bad) is working fine.  Any ideas???

Martin7097,

Pep Boys, AutoZone, and similar are in business to sell parts, and they do DTC code scans as a free service to hopefully sell those parts. Unfortunately their expertise and the kind of low level scanners they use don't get to the specifics needed in some situations, such as you experienced.

You need to get the car to a good mechanic with professional scanning aids that can zero in on the actual cause of the code. They alone can point to bad circuits, under voltages, ohm readings out of specification and so on. As a last resort, even a Lexus dealership, but be prepared to pay a much higher shop labour rate. Good Luck!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JDent
      My car wont start.  I checked the battery and was only showing around 5 volts. I charged it overnight and it was still showing 5 volts. I took out the battery and had it tested, it was bad.  I put in a new battery and the car still won't start.  The battery light and service engine light are on and the dash lights won't go out when the battery is connected. With all that the car won't even turn over. I could use some help if you have any ideas!  Thanks.
      James
    • By Strappedforkash
      I'm ordering KYB GR-2/Excel-G's for replacement on my 2006 ES330 that has AVS .  I am replacing the mounts as well. 

1) Is there any reason to replace the coil spring insulators and the front coil spring seats?  

2) Does anyone sell the KYB Excel-G's fully loaded with springs for the ES330? I haven't found them. (They do show them for 2006 Camry)

3) Will the 2006 Camry KYB excel-G fully loaded application work on the 2006 ES330?  If so, do they need to be ordered for the 4 or 6 cylinder?  They show different part numbers.

Thanks.
    • By @lex
      Right after left gas cap loose (cuz the hook/wouldn't let turn much) the Check Engine light came on and remains on even after tightening gas cap.
      Where is the OBD port location on the 2007 RX400h?
      What Diagnostic Scanner tool (from ebay/amazon or similar in USA) is good for this Hybrid and how do I clear/reset the check engine light??
      Tanks!
    • By dreiding
      I have an early model 2004 RX330 (built in 2003) - No Nav system.  I replaced the radio a few months back.   I am now having air conditioning/heater issues.  I have to keep the A/C setting to LO to get cold air.   The air isn't cold until the car is moving.  When I stop moving the A/C no longer is cold.   The issue on the other end is the heater.  Hot air is not supplied until the temperature setting is 85 of greater.  It used to work great. The store I purchased the radio from said that a resistor jumper was needed if my car had a Nav and appropriate wiring harness.  My radio wiring harness doesn't need a jumper and should work properly. Wrong!
      Any help in fixing my climate control appreciated.
    • By airdog99
      Hey Guys,
      After turning on the a/c you can feel the engine idle down (a/c clutch engaging) and after a few seconds the "Check air conditioning" message starts to flash on the Nav screen. I checked all fuses and even replaced the a/c clutch relay with no luck. I also ran the a/c diagnostics on the Nav screen and got no error codes. 
      So I decided to take it to the shop this morning. 10 minutes after I dropped the car off the mechanic called and said I need to come back as they already found that the compressor was seized up. I was hoping that wouldn't be the problem but I kind of figured it was after what I was seeing during my troubleshooting. 
      Now I am being told that since the compressor has failed that I will probably have to replace the entire system... a/c compressor, all lines, evaporator, condenser, valves... everything! The master mechanic said that because the compressor failed it has probably introduced metal particles into the system. He said there is no filter or anything to catch these particles in this 2007 GX470 a/c system and it can't be flushed. Replacement is the only option.
      They said it will be a major job requiring the removal of the dashboard and will more than likely cost between $4500 all the way up to $7000. Needless to say, I was floored!
      Does this sound legit? Is there a way to flush the system and just replace the compressor itself?
      Please help and give any advice you may have... thanks in advance!