2006 ES330 had a power surge

So I have a 2006 Lexus ES330 with 83,000 miles.  It's been a great car so far.  I have noticed the acceleration slip that most people talk about but I'm ok with that.  I just had a new  battery put in three days ago under warranty because  my battery of less than two years completely died. I also had my inspection done at the same time and passed. According to Firestone they tested  my alternator and it was fine.   So now three days later I am driving and my car goes nuts like it's having a power surge, I can tell the accelerator isn't engaging, the dash lights (brake, ABS, check engine and a faint battery light) come on and my air starts blowing super high, then low and does this about 3 times before I shut it off.  I parked the car and after about 1 min all the dash lights go off but the check engine light.  I go to auto zone and have them run a diagnostic and it shows my vehicle speed sensor caused the check engine light to come on. Well that doesn't explain the power surge and my speedometer (which is usually the first to go if the sensor is bad) is working fine.  Any ideas???

Martin7097,

Pep Boys, AutoZone, and similar are in business to sell parts, and they do DTC code scans as a free service to hopefully sell those parts. Unfortunately their expertise and the kind of low level scanners they use don't get to the specifics needed in some situations, such as you experienced.

You need to get the car to a good mechanic with professional scanning aids that can zero in on the actual cause of the code. They alone can point to bad circuits, under voltages, ohm readings out of specification and so on. As a last resort, even a Lexus dealership, but be prepared to pay a much higher shop labour rate. Good Luck!