Check Cruise System message

onnomvansanten

From one day to the next my cruise control system does not work. When I engage it by pressing the button following message is displayed "Check Cruise System"

It does not respond to pressing forward (to disengage the radar control and just go to regular - which I mostly use) or any variant thereof. so I am thinking that it could be a fuse. But my owners manual does not show what fuse it involved and where it is located, so maybe someone here know which would save me from checking every single fuse in the car.

If you have any other solution....................please do say so. Lexus dealer is good, but they are waaaaaay overpriced (I was quoted 1050+ tax for a replacement of auto levelling sensor - did it myself for 305 in 15 minutes)

Thank you very much

• 3 years later...
On 4/18/2020 at 7:01 PM, DSetliff said:

I have exactly the same problem on my 2005 Lexus LS430.  Anyone out there with suggestions?

A common cause of the problem is a damaged or misaligned laser or radar unit depending on which cruise control type you have.  You have the radar version if your car has the Pre-Collision System (PCS) which was optional only on the 2004-2006 LS430 with the Ultra Luxury or Custom Luxury package.  The LS430 owners manuals makes it confusing by using the word "laser" to refer to both cruise control types.

The laser unit on the lower grill seems to be particularly subject to damage from road debris.  The radar unit behind the "L" emblem on the upper grill is much less subject to damage but still can be damaged or knocked out of alignment by an impact.  Both unit types must be kept relatively clean.

Diagnosing the problem is best left to a Lexus dealership or a independent repair shop that specializes in Lexus.  When my wife trashed the radar unit on her car, the replacement radar unit had to be aligned/calibrated by the dealer.  Even the Lexus dealer's own collision repair facility couldn't do it.  

• 2 years later...

I had the same problem on my 2001 ls430, but mine was caused by a cracked lens and moisture accumulation behind it. Dealer wanted $1200 just for the part. I bought a used one from yahoo.jp for about $90 shipped to the states and it works fine. I had to take off the front bumper cover and the impact bar because the radar is mounted behind it, but it is definitely do-able yourself.

The only issue i have is it is calibrated for a right- hand drive car so sometimes it detects a car on my right during a curve and disengages, or downshifts to slow down, but if I shorten the radar distance it doesn't happen as much. I like to hang back from other cars to avoid rock chips.