Please Help, Wife Did Something Stupid

Wilson1911

My wife drove my 04' LS430 for a few miles with the parking brake all the way engaged before she noticed that the red brake light was on :chairshot: . When she got home and told me about it, I went into the garage and noticed this weird, almost metallic burning smell. The best way i can describe it is that it smells like an electric power drill or electric motor that's been burnt out.

I'm going nuts right now trying to think what that smell might be exactly, and if her careless and stupid mistake caused any damage. Anybody have any knowledge in this sort of thing/mishap? I can say right now, she's NEVER driving it by herself again :angry:

It means your rear brakes overheated, and POSSIBLY caused the rotors to warp, and/or the brake fluid to boil....both not good. I say possibly, because I once drove across a long bridge (could not stop on bridge, I would have caused traffic chaos) with a seized caliper. The rotor was glowing red when I stopped, but apart from a new caliper, nothing else needed repair. Have the brakes checked for sure, just to be safe, though.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I'm just curious, but how can I tell if the rear rotors are warped? I know the symptoms of the front rotors of a car being warped, but I've never had to shave or replace rotors for the rear wheels before.

Unless she was on the Interstate, I doubt if drivng around town for awhile would do anything other than shorten the life of your rear brake pads. I know exactly the smell. Why was the parking brake set? I have always found it a bad practice to use the parking brake unless you park on the side of a hill or something. The rule with parking brakes is use the all the time and jam them down good so you CAN'T move, or never use them.

I'd take the car to Lexus and tell them about the smell and have them figure it out. Since it's under warrenty, they won't charge you. If they ask you if you put the parking brake on, you can honestly say YOU didn't

Have them check out at your local lexus dealer. If your rear brakes are warped you will fell the vibration in the rear when applying brakes. I doubt it though. Good luck.

JPI

Also keep in mind that the Lexus' parking brake is a interior drum, not the exterior disc that you use for normal braking. So theres no way theres any damage to the actual service brakes, but there may be to the parking brake. Drive it around, test the parking brake for grab, if all seems normal than its okay. The smell is going to linger a while.

yeah ur parking brake is a drum and its not connected to your hidrauylic brake system. it uses the hand brake cable to engage and disengage the brake. so dont worry bout it. its nothing. just check if your hand brake functions properly - put it in neutral on a lil slope and thats pretty it.

Highly impossible to warp a rear disc since it is the drum and it is going to get heated evenly. You would have worn down the shoes inside and the e brake might need adjustment after. But you never jam the brake as hard as possible ,just enough force to make the car stop rolling.

Beside, your parking brake only needs to work once a year anyway. When you get your car inspected. That is the only times mine has ever been used.

that is an opinon ,not a fact or recommended by any professional.

but you are free to do what you please ,as it is your car.

Beside, your parking brake only needs to work once a year anyway. When you get your car inspected. That is the only times mine has ever been used.

What inspection? You have to get your car inspected where you live? I just have to go for emissions inspections every 2 years.