Any Interest In Nascar?

VBdenny

Since I know there are a bunch of car freaks around here I was wondering if anyone likes NASCAR. I just set up my (easy) racing pool with friends and was thinking of setting up a group for LOC.

Really easy, just pick the 10 drivers you think will win each week (or let your picks ride) and collect valuable points. Winner earns valuable bragging rights. Sorry, no cash rewards so prepare your brags cause that's all you will get.

Let me know and I'll set up a group on upickem and post the link.

Denny

For some reason, I have never liked NASCAR. Hours of watching rolling advertisements go round and round just don't do anything for me.

My sister's condo south of Daytona sits on the part of the beach that was the original south turn. You can walk up the beach to a cool restaurant called The North Turn. It has all kinds of NASCAR memorabilia. It is hard to believe that they origianally raced on sand.

Thanks for thinking about us though.

Like any sport, it is all about knowing the players. I've followed nascar for years and know all the playets. Of course being from Cslifornia things are very different there. I think nascar will cut the California race at some point as attendance is terrible. Having been to many races I will tell you they are exciting

This sounds way cool Denny!

Believe it or not, We have a NASCAR track about 40 miles east of Des Moines. When the NASCAR races are on you couldn't get any more people in the stands with a shoe horn. It is very popular here in the Midwest.

I'm like Becki in that sitting there all afternoon watching the cars go round and round and the noise level feeling like a spike through the ear is just not one of those things I don't have much ofany good or bad.

But looking at the races from a different perspective, you can't help but be impressed by the skill of the drivers and the technicians who build the cars. Maintaining their place and pace at 150 mph is very amazing when one little slip from side to side can kill you almost instantly.

If you decide you want to go with your idea, let me know what I can do to help.

Paul

NASCAR attendance is declining and TV ratings are slumping in many if not most parts of US, it's been going on for several years. I'd like to hear how they plan to stop the decline, huge swaths of empty seats on weekends are often visible.

Well looks like my shot in the dark missed its mark. Probably many people from the west coast on here. Due to a lack of good ole car loving southerners, guess I'll bag this idea. I kind of thought most Lexus drivers were above NASCAR which is confirmed.

If you can watch basketball and find it exciting, but NASCAR not, you have a much different perspective than I. Watching people running back and forth throwing a ball to me is just as exciting for y'all watching cars go around.

Go drive a few laps in one of the cars and you will find it snything but boring. All in the knowledge and atmospheres.

Like I said, I'm sure I would like it in person. Same with basketball. It isn't really fun on TV.

I always loved that last yellow light, the front end starting to lift and full throttle for about 8 seconds. I don't like drag racing on TV either.

You have to have the smell of tires and clutches burning to really get the experience.

The decline in NASCAR attendance is pretty much nationwide, not just a west coast trend where it's obviously more pronounced. They are removing seats and covering them with tarps in order to mask the trend.

Driving race cars for a few laps is not the same experience as watching them. I've watched NASCAR and Indy cars (and dragsters) live and prefer the Indy cars ( the exotic sounds and smells alone are more intense ). US car racing in general faces the difficult challenge of keeping fans actively involved.

Agreed, knowing the players and drivers makes a difference in any sport. Talk about people running around chasing a ball (like basketball), I watch pro tennis and know all the top 20 players, both men and woman. I've actually met some of them at special events. I play amateur tennis on regular basis so I know the sport very well. LEXUS (and Mercedes and Porsche) is a high profile sponsor at many tennis events, they seem to know what they are doing.

I always followed Grand Prix racing, been to races in Barcelona, and Watkins Glen NY. More into autocross, rallys, and hill climbs. (old Sports car days)

Bottom line is I enjoy driving more than watching ANY sport in person or on TV. I have good luck with my license and bad luck with tire wear. Watching sports in any form is still watching

• Like 1

I have the same bottom line preference, I enjoy driving and playing tennis more than spectating. I am an actual doer on a regular basis, I cross train some to stay in shape to continue doing.

From a Car Chat perspective, I have a long history of driver-oriented cars, even with my Lexus included. I like to be hands-on in the enjoyment of fine machinery, love the look, feel, sound.

That is exactly the way I think Steve. I like DOING stuff, not watching people do stuff. Drives my wife crazy that I don't sit still and watch NCIS with her. Nope, I'm in the garage waxing my car and watching the weather channel.

I used to do autocross, hill climbs, road races, over in Spain. I drove a Triumph TR250, but the cars my friends drove ranged from Triumph, MGB, Alpha Romeo, Seat Mini coopers, Fiats, and One lone prototype Ford Matra. One of the guys I worked with brought over a Datsun 240Z from Guam, and do to support from Bre Datsun and many mods was able to even beat the local Porsche teams as well as everybody else. Oh those were the days, drive to track and pray your car would take you to work the following day.