What Makes A Luxury Car A Luxury Car?

pj8708

Everyone knows the old joke about the man who claimed to know every thing. He was asked one day by an art collector if he liked his latest acquisition. The man replied, "I don't know anything about art, but I know it when I see it."

In an obtuse way the man's reply can be applied as well to the luxury products genre.

What makes a luxury car a luxury car? Can it be a ridged set of particulars or more of a personal perception.

I'm betting that given a large number of postings, there will not be anything close to a consensus. LoL

Give us your opinion!

Paul

Definition of luxury includes comfort or ease, and that beyond what is necessary (basic transportation). So in simple terms, a luxury car is one that provides comfort and ease (e.g. power seats) and appointments beyond the necessary (features like better seating, smooth ride, quiet interior). On that basis, a Chevy Malibu or Ford Fiesta could qualify as a luxury car in certain circumstances. Consumer's Report rated the top-line Chevy Impala as competitive with many luxury cars, as I recall.

So I'd qualify the automotive definition and say a luxury car provides an above-average level of reliability, safety, comfort, convenience, and controls, plus above-average power and clearly differentiated interior appointments (upholstery, dashboard material, etc), and exterior fit and finish. We might also include an above-average expectation for dealer service, attention to detail, and customer response.

For most of us, luxury may be better defined as sport-luxury, to which I would include the requirement for an exceptional level of acceleration, handling, and braking.

The Lexus line covers the spectrum, in my mind from the more purely luxurious to the more sporting. Think ES, RX, and hybrids on one end, for example, and the IS/GS/LS f-sport-equipped models on the other.

Luxury includes comfort, safety, lux features and amenities, quality, performance, and style to me. And brand is a factor (while some won't admit to this, successful automakers know very well it's critically important). I also favor the sports-oriented versions of these lux cars.

Some good points how many mainstream cars behaving very much like luxury cars. For example top of the line Accords, Fusions, Avalons, Passats, Impalas can be nicely loaded with nearly all of the amenities found in premium luxury cars, and certainly high levels of refinement.

So maybe we are talking about the subtle (and not so subtle like rwd vs. fwd platforms) differences that make a car truly a premium luxury car....

I think AWD vs FWD vs RWD is arguable. History is littered with drive configurations for luxury cars. Think of the Cord 810, or the Olds Toronado of the 70s -- an engineering tour d' force for its time, on a global basis. I think the Horch was FWD, and I think also the early Audi 100s.

Premium luxury cars make me think of R-R, Bentley, Maybach. What differentiates those cars besides drive configuration? Materials? Exquisite detail in fit and finish? Isolation from road? Two doors or four? Phaeton? Chauffer-driven or not? Range Rover?

I would also argue that sport and luxury are two different things. Sporting capabilities -- handling, acceleration, et al, may enhance luxury car qualifications, but they don't define it. An MGB is a classic sports car -- no luxury, and not super fast. But almost defines sports car in traditional terms. More modern example: Porsche 356, Boxster, any of the 911s; Mazda Miata, Corvette.

And if that doesn't confound the question, I cite my example again of our local business owner who has a Bentley -- bought new 2 - 3 years ago. What else has he go? LS 460 which I think he bought last year. Has the same Lexus salesman as me, and the report is that the Lexus is held in higher regard than the Bentley.

Both in one package? Please deliver the 911SC to my house. Whole deal may be in the eyes of he beholder.

• Like 1

Agreed, FWD vs RWD is arguable. I still prefer the steering feel and weight distribition/balance of rwd (versus fwd), and the premium car makers selling into middle-higher price ranges tend to agree. AWD done a nicely balanced rwd platform is expected at the very high end of the price scales for large sedans these days. Lexus and Mercedes have shown that FWD at the lower-priced end of premium car business in US sells very well (CLA, ES are great examples).

For sure, Porsche has mastered the sport end of lux, at a very stiff price today. They like to remind us they are selling "superior transportation", not just another sports car or another luxury car.

From a driving experience standpoint, they have may something there, even if they are over engineered versions of less than optimal configs in some cases (rear-engined). Like some of the best rides historically, their sporty cars are pleasurable and rewarding to drive even at moderate speeds, (not just at high speeds like typical car commercials). I feel that's an very important attribute btw.

Reliability of water cooled engines (spotty at best and some were horrible through 2008), that's another topic.

My two cents.

I think a luxury car is whatever you think it is. Makers and sellers help to create the "aura" of wealth and prestige and I confess I fall prey to that. As in almost anything in life, perception is everything. What you and I perceive to be a luxury car the next person see's as only mediocre. That, in my opinion is why so many badges exist year after year.

I've made up my mind that Lexus is not only a good value, but one that satisfy's all those "I want to be pampered" feelings.

Paul

Agreed, it's the owners/buyers that make final determination of lux. And when a automaker is successful at providing lux vehicles/experience they can consistently command a higher price.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I like Midwesterner's answer. Luxury goes beyond what you expect. It is sumptuous with thoughts given to aesthetics. It is defined by comfort and ease.

Here's an example of a compact luxury car I hope to drive later today. My wife took the Benz in for service today and got this loaner car (new 2015 C class). I assume it's the new C300 with the latest 2.0L turbo 4, sb about 240 hp and reasonably quick.

post-130421-0-61038100-1426269413_thumb.

Luxury and performance are often matched up in the same package but not always. Cadillacs, and Packards for instance were big cruisers. They could go fast on a highway but were never designed to be performance cars. My Lexus ES 330 is not a performance car in my opinion.

You can define it any way you want.

My car is neither fast nor luxurious, but she suits me to a T! I guess it is really all in the eye of the consumer. It is like my brother likes to say....that is why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors. :-)

Since the topic is "luxury" here I'll give my little report on the (loaner car) 2015 Mercedes C300 Sport 4matic that I put about 150 miles on over the weekend:

. Exterior styling is mini-S class which is a good thing for Mercedes as they compete with 3 series for best-selling premium compact sedan, even if a bit conservative (emphasis on luxury style). The trick LED lights front and rear are nice too.

. Interior looks elegant and is winning awards for good reason. This the best interior in class so far, Lexus IS second, BMW and Audi follow. Given the slightly bigger size of new C (versus previous gen), interior/trunk room is not much different but certainly adequate front and rear.

. Fit and finish is first rate and no different than German-built cars. I was pleasantly surprised since this is American-built (Alabama), the earlier ML SUVs that used to come from Alabama were crap quality in comparison.

. Ride/handling/noise levels are very similar to previous gen C-class and typical of this class of car, very good. The runflats (now improved and called extended mobility) seem to work fine without the usual harshness of old run flats. This car is equipped with 18's, (19's are optional). The usual ultra stiff chassis of a Mercedes, but that's expected.

. 2.0L turbo 4 banger is still up there with the very best from a NVH standpoint, very smooth to redline. Many will never notice this is a 4 cylinder engine. 30 mpg consistently at 65-80 mph was easy, and this was awd config.

. I enjoyed driving the car and passengers enjoyed the comfort and features including audio system, nav, pano roof.

Believe me, I tached that thing out in Sport mode a few times, no prob. Driving a dark steel gray color rather conservatively styled lux sedan is a good way to remain somewhat stealth. The people that tended to notice the car were mostly those driving older Benzs.

Interesting point about WHO looked Steve.

I've noticed that people tend to look at the vehicles most similar to those they have or are familiar with. When I drive my Lexus IS, the people that tend to notice are other Lexus owners and drivers of BMW-MB-Acura etc that a comparative models. Luckily (for them) I have the 250 because I do like to watch the tach swing to redline. Interestingly, when I'm driving my Chevy Silverado, the people that notice are mainly other truck drivers, primarily Chevy truck drivers. Why just yesterday I raced another SIlverado off the line at a traffic light. Talk about an invisible vehicle? try an old rednecky looking pickup.

That is why I have always said it is more fun to drive a slow car than a fast one. I can cut up in Lexie and nobody pays any attention to me. When I would cut up in my Z28 with the Borla exhaust, the whole world knew when I was.

It always tickled me how guys in other hot rods would pull up behind me at a light instead of next to me. They didn't want to get roasted by an old lady. Teeheehee

• Like 1

My Camaro was teal, very popular in the ''90s. I got more compliments on it. It was such a pretty car. Gosh I miss it. It is so pretty here today I was hoping I could catch a glimpse of it. I usually see it about twice a year.