2 New Engines Coming!

pj8708

A few days ago, Dec 3 to be exact, Lexus filed two new engine Trade Marks making two new models open for scrutiny. The two car models involved will be the LC and the NX. Both are badged as 500 & 500h. Based on Lexus tradition, the 500 nomenclature would mean 500 hp. The 500 h would gain 1 liter of displacement.

IMO these are exciting tile for Lexus. The efforts they are making will move the cars from stale to market makers.

Paul

What do you think?

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/12/04/lexus-trademarks-lc-500-lc-500h-canada-usa-australia/

I read the article, but did not get the same message. First, the story appeared to me as speculative; the information is not yet documented by Lexus. Second, as I read it, the 500 designation refers to displacement, not hp. For example, my GS 350 is 3.5L but delivers 306 hp.

A 5L engine would be consistent with many modern high-performance engines, but wouldn't necessarily have to deliver 500 hp.

Finally, as I read it, the effect of the hybrid system (electric motors) adds the equivalent of 1.5L displacement, or whatever the figure was, but doesn't represent a literal increase in displacement. Doesn't seem to make sense to add displacement to a hybrid system when the objective is to augment the gasoline engine with electric power to reduce fuel consumption. A literal increase in displacement for the gasoline engine would appear to work against fuel efficiency and the objectives of a hybrid..

500 hp or more is a lot to put through the drivetrain and on the pavement in any car, and in many cases is not very usable -- at least not in normal driving. So, are we talking about 500hp options for the average guy who can pay Lexus dollars for his ride, or are these to be showcase models that wind up in limited production and are pretty much aimed at the track and winning the power propaganda wars? If the plan is to produce a 100 or so ground-shaking European supercar killers just for bragging rights, it doesn't do much for me as a potential buyer of the mainstream offerings.

If the intention is to produce a car I'd buy, I'd really rather see a choice with outstanding road manners and handling, with a smaller, high-efficiency (maybe turbocharged engine) that would deliver stellar mid-range response.

2.0 L turbo is latest new engine. In premium car business you need to have a very refined one since it should sell in high volume (predominate engine in the small-mid vehicles for fuel efficiency).

Has anybody driven Lexus 2.0L turbo yet?

The model numbering will probably end up like Mercedes and BMW with little relationship to horsepower or displacement, more to identify pecking order or position from a performance standpoint.

Examples: C300/C400 320/328/335 528/535/550

It will be interesting to see how Lexus produces the horsepower in its highest powered / low volume models. Maybe some new technology (or mix of technologies) to get there as hinted at in article?... Long term I don't see normally aspirated 5.0L V8 fitting into many of their newest plans. I agree that Lexus might be coming out with some bolder engine technologhy, it's been a while.

• 4 months later...

Steve, now that you mention it, I have never read or heard of any diesel mated to a Lexus. I suppose it could be something that might sell in Europe where there is a strong market for diesel engines, but the big L would have to put zillions of euro's into making a showing .

Looking back over the previous threads, I too wonder what America wants the car manufacturers to make in the future, given the schizoid market we have now. For those of us who went through the "gas lines" during the 1970s, you'll remember that after that smoothed out mandatory fuel standards increased. In terms of market share of high consumption muscle cars , they too continued a healthy life.The following years were again filled with a healthy demand for horse power and high performance. (underline Performance).

There is a continuing demand for more power and speed. I am impressed with the R&D car companies have come up with to satisfy the customers need for speed, while also meeting Federal rules for fuel consumption, collision requirements, and a recall in the millions of units for every floor mat and hiccup. I don't think the market for high performance will ever go away.

Lexus was a step ahead with avoiding diesels, in Europe the slow steady decline of diesel cars has already started.

To make diesels run cleaner, they become increasingly expensive to build and maintain, more complicated, less powerful and less efficient.

Notice how Lexus is not wasting any resources on diesel engines for its passenger car/SUV fleet.

The diesel Lexus IS220d that was sold in the U.K. and Europe for a number of years was discontinued in 2012 and essentially replaced by the hybrid IS300h.

It was in the news a few years ago that Toyota was going to focus on hybrids for the Lexus brand. I'm surprised that the LS460 is again available in countries where formerly the only LS being sold was the LS600h.

Diesel engines continue to be available in Europe in a number of Toyota branded vehicles - sedans, wagons, SUV's and trucks.