$ Gasoline This Fall- Below $2.?

pj8708

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving around New Hampshire yesterday I saw regular prices from $2.11 to $2.57. Way way up in the mountains it runs a little more at some places. Average looked about in the $2.30s - $2.30s

$1.739 per gallon of regular at Costco in Des Moines, Iowa this morning. $1.689 per gallon of regular at Costco in Lenexa, Kansas this afternoon. The price has been dropping by about 10 cents per gallon every one to two weeks.

I remember when regular leaded gasoline typically sold for 19.9 cents per gallon in the late 1950's and early 1960's and sometimes as low as 15 cents per gallon during "gas wars" as they were called when filling stations sold gasoline at or below their cost to "steal" customers from their competitors. And don't forget all the free stuff you got with every fill-up ... glassware ... dishes ... and other crap..

I remember the horror when "Clark Super 100" (leaded, supposedly 100 octane super premium gasoline) topped 30 cents per gallon in the 1960's. NOOOOOOOO!

Around here the increase in traffic is mainly due to strong and growing economy with associated job growth, the cheaper gasoline has much less impact. Of course oil companies and related stock prices have felt negative impact.

It will be interesting how much longer gasoline price drops continue.