1992 Ls 400 Black - Classic Car?

Adamster

Hello,

I am new to the forums and have some questions about a Black 1992 LS400 that I bought last year when I was searching for used car. I bought the car for $800 with 217k miles on it. Now the car has 232K miles on it. The car runs and does its job. However I have a few questions:

1. I heard that this car was now considered a valued classic car, is this true? If so, I might invest some money in restoration.

2. How much should I ask for generally speaking if I sell the car as it is?

3. I searched for a used engine for this vehicle, found one for $700 with 111k miles on it. Are there any places to buy a new engine for this vehicle?

4. There is a leak in the power steering. Any recommendation on how to fix this?

5. The Sun / Moon roof does not open or moves back and forth. What part do I need to replace? Any directions or suggestions?

6. The seats are torn with original leather, any suggestions on replacing the leather?

7. The power windows work only from drivers side for the rest of the passengers and the heating of seats does not work. Any suggestions?

8. From reading some of the reviews online, I saw multiple times that this car has the title of being the worlds most reliable car and long running, is this exaggeration or really true? If it is, I might just change engine and continue driving it.

Thank you,

Adam.

Wow Adam. Thats quite a list!

In order for you to collect answers for all that information your going to have to be patient. I say that because many of your questions can have multiple answers because they are so subjective. One person may tell you that replacing the engine is a must, but you should pay no more than &500. Your question regarding the collectability of your 92' LS400 is also subjective. To my knowledge, the LS of those model years are not considered classics yet because there are so many of them still on the road every single day.

However, of late, I have seen these Lexus early 1990's cars refered to as "Legacy" models. I imagine there will be others who will chime in here.

I would suggest doing searches of our data base where there are thousands of post on many topics.

Paul

• 3 months later...

3. I searched for a used engine for this vehicle, found one for $700 with 111k miles on it. Are there any places to buy a new engine for this vehicle? If the engine is running well I wouldn't try to get a used engine just yet.

4. There is a leak in the power steering. Any recommendation on how to fix this? Check the Oring below the PS reservoir, they are notorious for drying up and leaking fluid onto the alternator. # 44362A in the pic, actual lexus number # 9030111016

Drain the reservoir with a turkey baster and put a few towels underneath. There are 3 bolts that hold the reservoir in place. It can be removed without removing the PS pump. I took them off using a simple wrench and a 3/8 short socket and ratchet. After removing them jiggle the reservoir up and out.

450736A.jpg

5. The Sun / Moon roof does not open or moves back and forth. What part do I need to replace? Any directions or suggestions? Check fuses?

7. The power windows work only from drivers side for the rest of the passengers and the heating of seats does not work. Any suggestions? Check fuses again?