Prediction: Volvo & Mitsubishi Give Up U.s. In 2014

pj8708

This Blog writer quotes a Wall St. source that predicts that both Volvo and Mitsubishi will stop markrting their products in the USA by the end of 2014. Their doom and gloom is based on declining market share of both companies, as well as other financial factors. Remember Volvo was acquired last year by a Chinese Corp, Geely.

Are these guys on the money?.... or do you think the car makers can turn it around.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/27/volvo-mitsubishi-road-and-track-among-brands-predicted-to-disapp/?a_dgi=aolshare_email

I agree. The only Mitsubishi I ever owned was a '78 Dodge Challenger. I can't say it was that great of a car either. I stick with Honda, Nissan and now Lexus.

I have a 2007 Volvo S80 - 3.2 and frankly it has been a great car. I was like a lot of others in that I figured Volvo designers never owned a protractor with a curved line. They all looked like refrigerators lying on ther sides. The later models have been totaly different. The one we have, it is really my wifes love, has 18" low profile tires with spoked alloy wheels. It has nav, a premium Swedish Dynaudio sound system which has been rated by some magazines as better than Harmon, Bose, and Bang & Olfson. It also has variable suspension settings by pushbutton for hiway, sport, and xtra firm for difficult turns mountain type driving. ( haven't used that much here on the plains). You can also vary the steering effort for three different settings. Headlights follow the turns as you steer, and they are self leveling. Headlighs also have their own washing jets.

The Volvo is not everyones cup of tea. Volvos have a reputation for saftey and they are built like a tank. If high performance is what you want, then the S80 would not be your choice. Volvo is in the process of phasing out the S80 which has been their flagship product at about $40,000 to$$48,000. The ride is not as soft as the Lexus and the cabin wind noise is not as quite as the Lexus. We have 79,000 on ours and out side of regular maintenance and a flat tire, their have been no problems.

Certainly the top of line Volvos have many of the attributes expected, plus some (and somewhat taken for granted with many Lexus vehicles) of premium cars, very good competitive products. I still admire the positive safety influence of Volvo on Ford products.

But when comparing Volvo to Lexus (Lexus being an example of a successful premium brand in US market), not even close in terms of overall reliability across model lines, dealer service, resale value (which impacts greatly cost of ownership) and style .

Well, I've got a 2000 Mitsu Gallant as a daily driver. it is serving me well with 125k on the odometer.I dont think I will miss them in the U.S. market. Parts I think would still be available. I am originally from the Philippines and Mitsu products are well respected there for their realibility and lower costs compared to Toyota, Honda and Nissan. Just like here Mitsu is being choked out of the market by their Korean counterparts ... I guess it's survival of the fittest..

I also used to be a big Volvo Guy. Used to own 7 Volvo 240s..LOL. One for me, one for the wife and one each for my five kids! They all learned to drive in Volvo 240! Needless to say, I have spent many hours in junkyards pulling out relays, misc parts, ECUs and yes wiring harnesses!I lost interest in them when the FWD models replaced my beloved RWDs. Then Ford bought them out and that's when I stopped looking at those cars.My last Volvo was a 97 940 Turbo. Loved that car but I cant refused the trade for a 3carat solitaire diamond ring, rather my wife can't resist!LOL! Now Im retired and enjoying my 99LS and I wont be surprised if I end up with another Lexus.. Thinking of a GS????LoL! Not a bad move from Volvos to Lexus..

I'm loving my Lexus. Can you believe that I was actually looking at a Corvette when I stumbled upon this car. Teeheehee...quite a different animal for sure. I love a convertible but swore I would never have another ragtop. I had a Honda S2000 for 4 1/2 years. Once I saw this car, I knew I had to have it.

Mitisubishi should have brought in their diesels as in their trucks, that would have been an instant hit. As for Volvo, well the last one I like was the 122.....Maybe our government will give them a GM style bailout.