New Owner Of A 2000Rx300, New To Forum

piker

Hey there everyone! My husband and I just recently purchased our first Lexus....a 2000 RX300. We got a good deal on it, and it's not in pristine condition so we expected to have to do a some work on it. We've only had it for 3 days, but I already love it!

My husband drove it last night and noticed that the overdrive isn't working. I've been reading a bunch of things online about it, and it seems like everyone has a different idea of how to fix that problem. The car has about 190,000 miles on it, there are no "warning" lights on, and it seems to run great, other than the overdrive thing. We're hoping it's a simple fix like a knock sensor or something similar, and not some major, huge fix. Is there anyone out there who can help point us in the right direction. We'd prefer to fix whatever we can ourselves, we just need a little guidance here, if anyone is feeling helpful today!

Thank you very much, in advance, for your time!

Does your check engine light come on when you turn the ignition switch to the on position..? I hope the bulb is not burned out....Loosing overdrive as you have researched could be knock sensors, however they usually put a code out and check engine light. The dreaded transmission failure is another reason...Maybe you have a hidden code. worth trying a read on the car and see what you have.

No...there is no check engine light appearing. I guess we should just take it in an see what the pro's say? I was so hoping it wasn't the usual transmission failure. Arg!!!! Thanks for your help. If you have any other thoughts, please share them!