Updated Gps Disc?

redgardencat

I updated my 4th Gen GPS by buying a disc on Ebay. I installed it, but it looks exactly like the display of the original. I thought it would have a different appearance, since a friend's new Toyota GPS does.

Did I GET an update, or was I scammed? The only way I can figure out how to test it is to drive somewhere about an hour away where there are (more recent than 2006) roads that should appear on it, and I don't really have two hours to do that.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

I updated my 4th Gen GPS by buying a disc on Ebay. I installed it, but it looks exactly like the display of the original. I thought it would have a different appearance, since a friend's new Toyota GPS does.

Did I GET an update, or was I scammed? The only way I can figure out how to test it is to drive somewhere about an hour away where there are (more recent than 2006) roads that should appear on it, and I don't really have two hours to do that.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

Hi Redgardencat and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

Well, your situation does sound a little confusing. First of all, why did you decide you needed to buy an update for your GPS? Was it becoming inaccurate in plotting destinations, or did your friends appear to have updated features?

Even though Lexus is a division of Toyota, it does not follow that the nav. units are identical. When you pay the bucks for the Lexus you also get some features and goodies that the Toyota badged cars do not get. So, it's not suprising that your two nav units may have different color backgrounds or icon shapes, road lines, etc.

In order to check it's accuracy you may not have to play "the Amazing Race" TV show and travel halfway around the world.

Are there suburbs in your area that have newly built homes or business since your last GPS update was issued. I would think you should be able to put some of those brand new address's into the nav unit and take off. You might come up with a better idea.

If I've made a wrong assumtion about what you wrote or misunderstood your question, please let me know.

Please write back and let us know how things work out.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for writing! Here's my story: I wanted an update because after five years owning my 06 SC430, last December I tried to find a gig location and there was a whole new freeway going into Brentwood, CA - I got totally confused and lost and was late for my caroling gig, which, when you are a professional musician, is about the WORST thing that can happen!! Meanwhile, my friend and colleague bought a new Prius in the spring, and I noticed that his GPS has a display with higher resolution than my old 2006.

So, I thought, an upgrade (update?) is in order. Unfortunately, I live in Oakland, CA, and there are no new streets here or anywhere nearby. It's an old SF Bay Area town, as are most of the surrounding towns. Perhaps if I went out to Brentwood again, I could determine whether this is really an update or not. Brentwood is about an hour and a half from here. That night it took me 2.5 hours, because my GPS led me astray!! I guess that may be my only solution....

Happy Thanksgiving!

carole

Updating the NAV will not change the way it looks. It will only update new roads, POI's and such. You should be able to tell what version that you are running. I honestly can't remember how to get to that screen but play around with your NAV buttons and you can find a screen that will tell you what version you are running. The other thing I don't think the disc would have loaded if you got scammed. One last thing are there any new restaurants around...see if they show in your POI?

Welcome to the Club! :cheers:

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for writing! Here's my story: I wanted an update because after five years owning my 06 SC430, last December I tried to find a gig location and there was a whole new freeway going into Brentwood, CA - I got totally confused and lost and was late for my caroling gig, which, when you are a professional musician, is about the WORST thing that can happen!! Meanwhile, my friend and colleague bought a new Prius in the spring, and I noticed that his GPS has a display with higher resolution than my old 2006.

So, I thought, an upgrade (update?) is in order. Unfortunately, I live in Oakland, CA, and there are no new streets here or anywhere nearby. It's an old SF Bay Area town, as are most of the surrounding towns. Perhaps if I went out to Brentwood again, I could determine whether this is really an update or not. Brentwood is about an hour and a half from here. That night it took me 2.5 hours, because my GPS led me astray!! I guess that may be my only solution....

Happy Thanksgiving!

carole

There's your problem....when you loaded your new update, you probably transposed it into F-flat instead of the standard Japenese key of B#. Next time when you enter your destination, try "The Hotel California". (from an old musician to a young one.) LOL

Thanks! I think the new restaurant search will be the a really good way to tell. That's a great idea!

I did fiddle around with the NAV and couldn't find the version listed (Doesn't mean it's not there, of course)!

To old musician: I'm not such a young musician, believe me! Heh-heh.