Lithium-Ion Battery

I was reading a preview of the new Toyota Prius 7 seater which uses a more advanced lithium-ion battery pack in lieu of the nickel-metal hydride unit and it says"

"The technology, which is used on the Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf, packs more punch in a small package - Toyota says the new lithium-ion battery pack is half the size but pushes out the same amount of power, and is seven kilograms lighter than a NiMH pack, at 34kg.Overall, the Prius V is 135kg heavier than the regular Prius hatch."

I wonder if Lexus will offer a battery pack upgrade to the new lithium-ion for our RX400H. Not that they are cheap but for those who need to replace the battery, it would be nice to get the newer tech.

Lithium ion batteries in hybrid or all-electric vehicles have not been around long enough to prove that they last as long as NiMH batteries. The Li-ion batteries are much more expensive and are not easily recycled as are NiMH batteries. I'd wait a while before jumping on that bandwagon.

Agree, batteries are lighter, but hope they are better than tool batteries...They give no warning and just quit. The Nicads operate under a different curve, they go and give lots of warning when they discharge.

Agree, batteries are lighter, but hope they are better than tool batteries...They give no warning and just quit. The Nicads operate under a different curve, they go and give lots of warning when they discharge.

That is the biggest advantage of li ion batteries. They hold the output voltage until discharged. Instead of the tool slowly slowing down, it operates fully until the battery is dead. All li ion batteries do this.