Steering Wheel Cover

Joramy3

I notice most luxury cars have a complete soft cover (leather or other fine fabric) aound the entire steering wheel, whereas Lexus is half hard leather and half hard plastic. I am used to the softer, complete steering wheel cover; also, it's warmer when starting up in northern climes. Anyone with experience on after-market steering wheel cover? Obviously would want something of high quality for the car. I searched the internet and found several companies; but it looks not that simple to put it on right? Any ideas?

Thanks,

I notice most luxury cars have a complete soft cover (leather or other fine fabric) aound the entire steering wheel, whereas Lexus is half hard leather and half hard plastic. I am used to the softer, complete steering wheel cover; also, it's warmer when starting up in northern climes. Anyone with experience on after-market steering wheel cover? Obviously would want something of high quality for the car. I searched the internet and found several companies; but it looks not that simple to put it on right? Any ideas?

Thanks,

steering wheel is part of the look, I suspect most people think it is a plus, but agree that it should be heated

can't help regarding cover

good luck

I notice most luxury cars have a complete soft cover (leather or other fine fabric) aound the entire steering wheel

What "most luxury cars" have steering wheels like that? I've owned a few and driven a number of high end cars and have no idea what you are looking for. The wood/leather steering wheels on most current Lexus vehicles are quite typical IMO.

If you want a leather steering wheel cover: http://www.wheelskins.com/

Thanks,

The Lexus steering wheels are made of hand selected wood, laminated to a metal core. Not plastic. My wife drives a luxury car with a leather covered wheel. I find it very comfortable. But over a long drive I prefer the wood and leather of the Lexus for its sure grip and hand cut-out fit. The LS460 offers a heated steering wheel as do other higher end Lexus models. I've attached a video of how the Lexus steering wheels are made. Good luck!

https://secure.drive.../Steering-Wheel

(I can't make this link work from this thread, although I know it works from anothe posting. I'm going to try and direct you to another site for this link. Please be patient.)

Try this!!

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/magazine/articles/Vehicle-Insider/Steering-Wheel

Thanks,

Those steering wheel covers must be laced on, using a thick lacing thread/cord and a special lacing needle. It's not that difficult, but it takes a bit of time and you must be very careful how much you tighten the thread/cord as it's real easy to overtighten and cause some puckering at the seam. With a bit of care, they look good and don't slip. I've done several.

I forgot to mention that you need to be aware that most of the after-market, lace-on wheel covers are NOT padded. They are just a thin leather cover. I've never seen a padded one, but I'm sure they must be available somewhere. What this means is that your steering wheel will still be hard to the touch as leather doesn't have much give to it. You may be better off with the factory all-leather wheel cduluk recommended, but I hope you have deep pockets. Good luck!

could you live with the wheel if the wood was replaced with the "hard leather"? Lexus does offer an all-leather wheel for the ES350, but it's going to feel the same as the leather portions already on your current wheel-which you claim are too hard.

Any "aftermarket covers" are going to look ridiculous. Your other option is to have a custom leather shop do the conversion for you... but take out your wallet.

Here's the factory all-leather wheel for the ES350. One might show up on eBay, and if so, it'll probably go for ~$200.

k1v47m.jpg

drcbqr.jpg