Sensors Not Beeping

KayDee

Hi,

I have 2007 ES350. The park assist sensors beeping is all gone. I don't hear any more beeping. Is the sensors gone and need replacement and how much would be job like this would cost. Any help is appreciated.

Herman

Hi,

I have 2007 ES350. The park assist sensors beeping is all gone. I don't hear any more beeping. Is the sensors gone and need replacement and how much would be job like this would cost. Any help is appreciated.

Herman

Is the system "on"? Easy test; Have someone sit in the car while it is running and in gear(foot on the brake). Slowly walk around the vehicle to confirm that it beeps as you pass the sensors. The sensitivity/volume is adjustable on the Nav screen. Usually, the only thing that ever goes wrong is after you damage a sensor(impact), it won't stop beeping.

Hi,

Herman

Are you sure the Park Assist button is pushed on and have you checked the fuse for that feature.

THANK YOU GUYS !!! THAT WAS IT !!!!

PHEW !! Goodness Gracious.....I am lucky I didn't take it to my local Lexus dealership. They are a big ripoff. Last time I was there for oil change, I mentioned this problem to them, they said next time I come for oil change they would look at the problem but the guy already warned me that it does cost a bit to replace those sensors. I am glad I found this forum before :) Everytime I go there for a simple oil change, it coast me almost $ 150, Last time the guy said I needed some rotating tires *BLEEP* and all other crap....I bought his BS and it cost me almost $ 300. Hopefully I would learn something on this discussion group to do things on my own. Found the one tutorial by this Russian guy to change the oil. I might just try it myself.

2007 ES350 OBSIDIAN ( bought from US and driven in Canada eh !! )

PHEW !! Goodness Gracious.....I am lucky I didn't take it to my local Lexus dealership. They are a big ripoff. Last time I was there for oil change, I mentioned this problem to them, they said next time I come for oil change they would look at the problem but the guy already warned me that it does cost a bit to replace those sensors. I am glad I found this forum before :) Everytime I go there for a simple oil change, it coast me almost $ 150, Last time the guy said I needed some rotating tires *BLEEP* and all other crap....I bought his BS and it cost me almost $ 300. Hopefully I would learn something on this discussion group to do things on my own. Found the one tutorial by this Russian guy to change the oil. I might just try it myself.

To be fair to your dealer, going just from your description I don't really see what they did wrong. Now, had you gotten there and they informed you that the system was simply off and tried to charge you a diagnostic fee or something, that would be one thing.

The tires need to be rotated regularly if you want to get maximum life out of your tires, and yes the dealer is expensive. What you have to realize is that using the Lexus dealer (or any luxury car dealer) is using a premium service, its like shopping at Nordstrom. Yes its more expensive, but (hopefully) you receive better service in higher quality surroundings than you would in a less expensive marque's dealer or independent shop.

Sounds like maybe you need a good independent shop...

The service is definitely better at the dealership, no doubt about that but you pay a lot more. When I asked them to check if there is a fuse that is gone or not, they were not very honest. They could have simply checked the switch to see its off but they told me to book an appointment to take a look at the problem. They would have charged me $ 80 for diagnosis and then simply told me that something was loose for a job they did in less than a minute. I would still be out $ 80. That's why I am here, you guys saved me $ 80 :) . I found one mechanic close to my house. He seems like a very honest guy. I might get my tires rotated from him too.

Thanks again

Sure...luxury car...luxury service...luxury price.

When I asked them to check if there is a fuse that is gone or not, they were not very honest. They could have simply checked the switch to see its off but they told me to book an appointment to take a look at the problem. They would have charged me $ 80 for diagnosis and then simply told me that something was loose for a job they did in less than a minute. I would still be out $ 80.

I mean...they're in business to make money. How were they dishonest? You have to understand that they can't just "check to see if a fuse is out" , they have to take it back into the shop, pull a tech off of something else to have him look at it, etc. There's a schedule, they have vehicles back there that are being worked on that need to be delivered when they were promised, they have to schedule you into that schedule, and when they use time in that schedule...they need to be paid. The service writers a lot of times don't know anything about cars. I've found maybe 1 in 5 service writers would even know where to find the fuses.

The question would be if they looked and saw that the switch was just off, would they still charge you a diagnostic fee? My guess is no. My dealer wouldn't. Even if they did though, thats not dishonest. You told them the system wasn't working, they diagnosed a problem...they're owed a diagnostic fee. If I owned the dealer I wouldn't charge for something like that, because its an opportunity to build trust and that trust is worth more than $80 to me. But...not everybody sees it that way.

I don't mean to sound like I'm raining on your parade, but I've found you wind up much more satisfied with things in your life when your expectations are set properly. I think people are overly harsh on the dealers and what they cost. In order to have the fancy TVs, marble floors, leather chairs, free cafe, movie lounge, mini golf course, indoor driving range (my dealer has all this stuff), a fleet of $40-60k loaner cars (my dealer has ES, GS, IS, HS, RX, GX & LS loaners, including a few IS-Cs)...someone has to pay for that, and the price of the service is going to be higher.

My independent mechanic charges like half what the dealer does, but its one bay with his little office next to the train tracks and the NTB, and I get a ride to the subway...in my own car. Dealer has a $140 labor rate...he is $85. So...its a different thing.

Points well made and well taken.

As I mentioned I have been going to my local dealership until now and I might go back again. I am not totally ruling them out but there are some jobs where you can save money. My dealership gave me an estimate for changing my rear brake pads. The cost was $ 350. I got the same pads for $ 50 online, went to the local mechanic who charged me $ 75 to install them. Also another time,the rear bulb was out on my car. I bought the bulb for $ 4 ( surprisingly ) from Dealership and installed it myself. I don't think the dealership would have charged me just $ 4 if I had asked them to put it in. Having said that, I totally agree with you where you are coming from but not all dealerships are same.

The cost was $ 350. I got the same pads for $ 50 online, went to the local mechanic who charged me $ 75 to install them.

Sure, and you took the time to do that vs the convenience of simply letting the dealer do it. Most of the dealer's customers don't even think about taking the time to take the car elsewhere.

Also another time,the rear bulb was out on my car. I bought the bulb for $ 4 ( surprisingly ) from Dealership and installed it myself. I don't think the dealership would have charged me just $ 4 if I had asked them to put it in.

Of course they wouldn't, they would charge you the appropriate portion of their hourly labor rate. Do you work for free? Can't expect others to work for free either.

Look...I'm not saying you should use the dealer...I don't use the dealer. I'm just saying there are reasons the dealer is more expensive...