'07 Ls460. Passenger Seat Misteriously Moves.

This evening the passenger seat of my '07 LS460 moved backward, with no one at the controls. 5 minutes later it did it again. 25 minutes later it again moved, and again a few minutes after that. Then, the seatback moved backward, almost to a 45* angle. After the third time, I jiggled all the side levers to make sure they were in the neutral position. It still happened. Any thoughts. I plan to take itto a dealer tomorrow. Concerned possible electrical fault may heat up wires or harness, and be a potential fire hazzard.

Any help if others have experienced this problem.

Cody Marine 0333

Wow, I've never seen anything like this before. This gives a new meaning to "Fly by Wire".

Mike,

Actually it was weird...but my thought was if the driver's seat did the same at max (legal) speed, this would not be a pretty picture. I take ittothedealer tomorow morning. Threee things: Seat movement; Terrible navigation system...always takes you in the wrong direction...but when you get within 300 yrds. it starts working: and third: the 'oil change' lights are opn at 2800 miles, and I have synthetic oil which should be good for 7,500 to 10,000 miles. I see the same problems all over the Forum.

Cody

After I get the word from the dealer tomorrow (Friday or Sat?) I will post the dealers response. When I called to get the appointment, the service guy said he had never heard of this before. It may be BS, but will find out.

After I get the word from the dealer tomorrow (Friday or Sat?) I will post the dealers response. When I called to get the appointment, the service guy said he had never heard of this before. It may be BS, but will find out.

I don't think its BS...I've never heard of that happening before either...

Picked up the car today and the service manager gave me a printout of the analysis. No electrical faults on any system. Dealer reported to corporate and they had no record of any other problems like I described. However, they did open a "TAS" file and number...which I assume is now allocated to this anomoly...if another one shows up in the future.

I am not imagining this! It happened when my daughter was in the front seat, and also happened to me. I am not about to drive 80 minutes r/t on an imaginary problem. I asked about a possible over-amped wire cross-connection, and he said it is covered by a ten amp fuse. We have 18K on the car without a problem...so this may be a one time conundrum.

Picked up the car today and the service manager gave me a printout of the analysis. No electrical faults on any system. Dealer reported to corporate and they had no record of any other problems like I described. However, they did open a "TAS" file and number...which I assume is now allocated to this anomoly...if another one shows up in the future.

I am not imagining this! It happened when my daughter was in the front seat, and also happened to me. I am not about to drive 80 minutes r/t on an imaginary problem. I asked about a possible over-amped wire cross-connection, and he said it is covered by a ten amp fuse. We have 18K on the car without a problem...so this may be a one time conundrum.

I can't tell, from what you have said so far, if you are aware that there are two sets of controls for each seat. From the perspective of someone sitting in the front passenger seat there are controls along the right lower side of the seat, between the seat base and the passenger door and another set of controls, on the opposite side of the seat back very near the passenger's elbow. Each of these control clusters are capable of moving the seat as you described. The driver's seat has a similar set of controls - mirror image arrangement. Is it possible that you had something like a coat of a package on the center console and that was pressing on the controls? And it is also possible for someone sitting in the back seat behind the driver to access the controls for the front passenger seat.

I can't tell, from what you have said so far, if you are aware that there are two sets of controls for each seat. From the perspective of someone sitting in the front passenger seat there are controls along the right lower side of the seat, between the seat base and the passenger door and another set of controls, on the opposite side of the seat back very near the passenger's elbow. Each of these control clusters are capable of moving the seat as you described. The driver's seat has a similar set of controls - mirror image arrangement. Is it possible that you had something like a coat of a package on the center console and that was pressing on the controls? And it is also possible for someone sitting in the back seat behind the driver to access the controls for the front passenger seat.

No, there was nothing on the consol. I am aware of the inside seat controls. My daughter did not have a bag or purse resting on it. When we came back from the airport, I was in the passenger seat...nothing on the consol. Actually the inside seat controls are too high for an elbow to 'inadvertently' contact those controls. These movements were abrupt!

But see my next post about the parking brake problem yesterday. I am not an automotive hypocondriac. These things are happening, and have nothing to do with Toyots' recent problems.

• 1 month later...

So the seat mysteriously moved vertically/horizontally AND the upper half tilted?

If this only happened either laterally or by rotation alone, i'd say maybe a faulty switch, but for both movements to be moving mysteriously... it's just not probable that two separate switches are failing at the same time.

So the issue must be with the computer... I hope it's just a random thing! :wacko:

Well the poster posted April 17 he seems to be the only one in the world that had the problem it is now the start of May. If no problems reported I think we can call this one of those things that could be intermittent or customer induced. Whatever it is a non issue at this point.

...? :huh: