What Brake Pads For An '03 Ls430?

PilotguyPA28

I'm going to get my brake pads changed soon. 55,000 miles and I'm sure the fronts are getting close. I want the best pads I can get and/or the MFG recommends.

Which pads will work best and where can I order them from? Also, I've heard some say to put new rotors on verses turning them. I've always turned but never changed brakes on a Lexus. What do you think on the rotors?

Thanks in advance.

I'm surprised your shop doesn't want to supply the pads and make a little money.

Parts.com has OEM pads for your LS430 for $44.88 -- don't know what shipping cost would be.

They have front rotors for $93.27/each.

Some people say they never turn the rotors, some say they always replace them. My mechanic always turns them and reuses. The total cost of a front brake job on my 00 LS400 a few years back was $220 including OEM pads and turning the rotors. It was done at an indie shop by a former Lexus dealer mechanic.

Replacing front brake pads on an LS is an easy enough job -- I've done it only once and regretted it due to not being equipped to turn the rotors and no longer having an extra car to run the rotors to a shop to have them turned.

The original front brake pads on my 00 LS400 lasted until over 71,000 miles when the brake wear sensor triggered the trip computer display. The sensor couldn't be saved so a replacement was an additional $55 (??? I've posted it before ... too lazy to look again). I think the wear sensors for the LS430 are a little more expensive.

I had my rear brake pads replaced for the first time a few weeks ago during the 120,000 mile service. The wear sensor hadn't hit yet and the thinnest rear pad probably could have gone another 10K to 15K miles.

OEM pads will give good performanve with low noise and dust. They will be very reliable and long lasting. I have EBC pads which are pure performance pads and stop QUICK! they stop significantly faster than my OE's did, however after about 1K miles they have noticable wear. Not to mention the noise and dust is horrible. My next set will be OEM for sure!

OEM pads will give good performanve with low noise and dust. They will be very reliable and long lasting. I have EBC pads which are pure performance pads and stop QUICK! they stop significantly faster than my OE's did, however after about 1K miles they have noticable wear. Not to mention the noise and dust is horrible. My next set will be OEM for sure!

Not to mention possible damage to the rotors. Brakes are simply energy converters. They transfer kinetic energy (energy of motion) into thermal (heat). If you transfer that energy over a shorter time (i.e. faster stopping) then the peak temperatures will rise and potentially damage the rotors (warp them or glaze surface). I'd stick with OEM, these aren't race cars anyway.