Front Main Seal Replacement On 1991 Ls400 Question

_mach_

The front main seal in my 1991 LS 400 is completely blown out, pouring oil out the timing cover. I am just trying to get the car to where it doesn't leak and sell it. I am wondering how difficult it is to replace this seal, and what type of seal it is. I know how to remove all the covers and timing belt, but am unsure how the seal comes out because i've never torn that far into my lexus before....my experience is mainly on older domestic cars with the dreaded Rope seals. Is it a tap in seal? Any advice or a link to a Shop Manual would be much appreciated!

Just wanted to point out that sometimes the crank has a groove worn into it, Dont panic, you could emery cloth it or use a crankshaft saver (a stainless steel cover that slides over the groove and is glued in place) They work great for this repair if you run into a bad groove where the seal contacts the crank

mach,

for manuals for LS400 try the website

www.tradebit.com

in Power Search box..... click on pull down box...... click on "Documents/ Ebooks"......in keyword type...."Lexus Ls400"

You might find what you are lookinf for there......very inexpensive for factory shop manuals....downside is they are in .pdf format.....I like having the actual books myself.....you can find them on Ebay maybe....but more expensive for hard copies...

Just wanted to point out that sometimes the crank has a groove worn into it, Dont panic, you could emery cloth it or use a crankshaft saver (a stainless steel cover that slides over the groove and is glued in place) They work great for this repair if you run into a bad groove where the seal contacts the crank

Where would I acquire a crank shaft saver? Is it something I can get from the dealer, or have to dig around online to find?

mach,

just saw on ebay 1991 LS400 Repair manuals Vol 1 & 2...starting bid $ 139.00...no bids......not a bad price.....will save you thousands in the long run if used to complete repairs....

Just thought I would let you know....

Jeff

Thanks for the heads up. Although I am looking to sell my LS ASAP. I picked up a 2007 Subaru WRX STI Limited as a daily driver...not a bad upgrade from a 1991 LS!

I really don't want to put any more money or time into the Lexus, and wanted to sell it with the blown seal for like 1500-2000 bucks, but so far, no luck...people get scared when the engine pours oil. The car is in great shape with 176k mi. The pain is a little faded on the center of the hood, roof and deck lid, but has never been in any major accidents, and to the best of my knowledge the only thing wrong with it is that the front main is blown out. If I fix the front main and really buff the paint, what would you guys suggest I ask for it? It's a Texas car, so it has absolutely no rust, and I live in Massachusetts now (yes, it made the 2000 mile drive up here just fine!) Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

Grayson

Ok, I have another question. After quite a few hours replacing the front main and timing belt, the car won't start. I followed the instructions at http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html but apparently I didn't do something right. I lined up both cam marks and the crank marks, rotated the engine twice and the all lined back up. I did this several times to make doubly sure, but the car still won't start. The sound when cranking is a little different, and it seems like gas vapor is coming out the air filter hose, could I have been off some how? All of my experience is with domestic V8's (much simpler) I have a feeling I am going to have to re do the timing belt...Could I be missing some sensor, or plug, or something stupid like that that could be messing things up. I have confirmed that i have both fuel at the injectors, and spark at the plugs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ok, I have another question. After quite a few hours replacing the front main and timing belt, the car won't start. I followed the instructions at http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html but apparently I didn't do something right. I lined up both cam marks and the crank marks, rotated the engine twice and the all lined back up. I did this several times to make doubly sure, but the car still won't start. The sound when cranking is a little different, and it seems like gas vapor is coming out the air filter hose, could I have been off some how? All of my experience is with domestic V8's (much simpler) I have a feeling I am going to have to re do the timing belt...Could I be missing some sensor, or plug, or something stupid like that that could be messing things up. I have confirmed that i have both fuel at the injectors, and spark at the plugs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Double check all your connections and that nothing was damaged.

She runs! It turns out that i am retarded when it comes to old OHV motors. Now all I have to do is replace the cam seal, button it all back up and she's ready to sell. Thanks again for all your input and advice, it's great for us n00bs! Anyone wanna buy a 91 LS with 176k? It's in Mass, but spent all its life in Texas. Pm if interested

Grayson

• 2 years later...

Well my 93 has the same oil leak. Front Main Seal (AKA Crankshaft Seal) In the shop now. We ended up replacing the valve cover gaskets(they were leaking also) , alternator (Beck/Arnley) , Crankshaft seal (from lexus) , camshaft seals (both from Advanced auto) , Timing belt and water pump (these came from advanced auto also) , ...... My car has 220K miles and hopefully now that I have replaced the entire front of the motor, she will run another 150K.....Hopefully!!!!!!

...... My car has 220K miles and hopefully now that I have replaced the entire front of the motor, she will run another 150K.....Hopefully!!!!!!

Keep your hopes up!! there is no faith without them...

Hebrews 11:1

King James Version (KJV)

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

be blessed.