2000 Ls Remote-key

billydpowell

Hi guys, I bought a 2000 LS400 for my sister-in-law, and the key does not have the push buttons in it to lock/unlock the doors. and we want one

I have extra 97 LS400 remotes, do you know if this can be programed for the 2000 models?

it looks like 97 is the end of separate remotes and 98 is the begining of the buttons in the key head.

anyway... I need some answers if you have any..

thanks.. bp

post-5365-1266874545_thumb.jpg

I've never seen anything about being able to program a 95-97 LS key fob remote to work on a 98-00 LS. Attached are the instructions for programming a new 98-00 LS key.

FYI: The 90-94 LS had its single lock/unlock button on the master key before they apparently went with a key fob remote for the 95-97 LS.

1998_LS400_key_programming.pdf

I seriously doubt they'll work. What's the FCC ID on your '97 fob? This is what I have on my '99 key: HYQ1512V. I bought a second remote master from Sewell for $110, and they cut it for free. I'll attach the transponder programming instructions to go along with the remote instructions that Jim posted.

Transponder_909rk.pdf

They're not going to work...

Does the key you have have a black head or a grey head? If its the grey head its the valet key and its going to be hard to program new master keys...

I'd keep the 2000 and give her one of the 97s ;)

I seriously doubt they'll work. What's the FCC ID on your '97 fob? This is what I have on my '99 key: HYQ1512V. I bought a second remote master from Sewell for $110, and they cut it for free. I'll attach the transponder programming instructions to go along with the remote instructions that Jim posted.

thanks guys, I got both downloads.

my fcc is different HYQWDT-C.

PARK PLACE wanted $650 to reprogram a master key with the doorlocks.

Does the key you have have a black head or a grey head? If its the grey head its the valet key and its going to be hard to program new master keys...

its a black head, does everything except no buttons

PARK PLACE wanted $650 to reprogram a master key with the doorlocks.

$650 must include a new ECU. Programming a new master or valet key in a 98-00 LS takes about one minute each for someone who does it a lot -- I watched a Lexus dealer service writer program four keys (2 masters and 2 valets) for free but I did spend a few hundred $$$ buying the keys at the dealership.

Billy would be overwelmed by the technology in the 2000 LS. ;) "VSC? We don't need no stinking VSC!"

I already am overwelmed...... and what is VSC? (I know I shouldnt ask)

you are so right.

it didnt work

I haven't done this for a Lexus but I have two Fords that I purchased blank keys on eBAY and had them cut at local hardware store for $0.50 and then programmed them myself on the car. Cost me about $10 a key all in vs $45 dealer wanted. Worse if you don't have two working leys then it costs over $100 as they have to attach a computer and go through an elaborate programming process. With Fords if you have two working leys you can add additional keys by just following a procedure where you put in two good keys a certain way then plug in the new one and the computer learns its code so it becomes a valid key.

Maybe there is a similar procedure for Lexus. This guy is selling blank Lexus keys on ebay and offers the instruction with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-1999-2...sQ5fAccessories

Nice! Glad it worked out with the key, as long as its the black head thats the master key...

Thanks for all the advise....

both keys are black and perform all Key functions and the new one locks/unlocks doors and trunk.

for me $200 was a bargain. Sewell also pulled up the history from 6 miles to the 77K, it has been dealer serviced in Tulsa from day one and the carfax backed this up.

happy campers.......

but you know what??? it dosent run any better/quieter/smoother than my high mileage 97's

but my sister-in-law (widow lady) is pleased.

oh, anyone 60 or more looking for a wife?? (she's a looker for 60+)

No, already got a 60+ year old wife. One is more than enough. ;)

Billy, I didn't have my reading glasses on when I read your latest post and I swear I thought you were telling us that your sister-in-law is a 60+ year old hooker. :lol:

No, already got a 60+ year old wife. One is more than enough. ;)

Billy, I didn't have my reading glasses on when I read your latest post and I swear I thought you were telling us that your sister-in-law is a 60+ year old hooker. :lol:

WELL...... I havent followed her around, ...... maybe ..... naw I dont think ......

Hmmmm ... I forget ... what is a hooker??? I think she crochets some...

• 1 year later...

JUst got '99 LS with one master key so got another transponder key online and it came with instruction. Had the key  cut and tried the instructions that came with the key. No luck. Tried the PDF instructions attached earlier in this thread and they  are totally different from the instruction I got with the key. So now I'm really confused. In the PDF instructions, Section A, 2 and 3, are these steps done from inside the car or outside the car? In section B, I assume this part is done with the unprogrammed key but it doesn't say that anywhere. Has anyone, other than a Lexus technician ever programmed a key successfully? I think Lexus not only gives out bad instructions but also pays the online key sellers to send bad instructions so you have to go to Lexus and pay the money. But then, maybe that's just me and my frustration  talking.

Thanks for any help and if you have programmed a key successfully, you are my idol!

1st question: Yes, outside the car.

2nd question: Yes, the unprogrammed key.

No, I didn't do it myself. I watched a Lexus dealer service writer do it just after I bought my 00 LS400 in 2003. He flailed around like a demented psycho while programming it. The guy had so much practice that it seemed automatic and he didn't have to follow any written instructions.

The 3rd set of keys for my LS is stored in a fireproof safe.

Many people on Lexus forums have successfully programmed keys using these instructions. I'm guessing that your new key is aftermarket and incompatible. If it is aftermarket, don't blame the Lexus instructions.

I didn''t know that the aftermarket keys were incompatible. If they are, I would think that the sellers would be guilty of fraud for selling them. I went on the net and have found, so far, four different sets of instructions so I am guessing this is not an exact science. So would I be fair in saying that the money I spent on the key and cutting is down the drain and that the only way to get a programmed key is by going to the dealer? If that's true then I'll just have to suck it up. It also may explain why I have never been able to program a key for my wife's Miata. Wondering how the Ebay sellers get away with selling incompatible keys and why ebay doesn't crack down on them? Oh well, thanks much for the info as always.

It is a very exact science to program an OEM Lexus key and it sometimes takes more than one try to do it right. It has to be exactly according to the instructions and there is no room for error. Aftermarket keys that work properly are available -- contact the eBay seller and report the problem you are having.

OK, so my face is red. I was actually able to find some instructions that worked so I programmed my key and it will start the car. There is a separate set of instructions to program the remote and I'll tackle that later. At least I have a spare key that will get me into the car, manually, and start it. I was so stunned that the key worked that at first I didn't believe it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so my face is red. I was actually able to find some instructions that worked so I programmed my key and it will start the car. There is a separate set of instructions to program the remote and I'll tackle that later. At least I have a spare key that will get me into the car, manually, and start it. I was so stunned that the key worked that at first I didn't believe it.

So I am trying to do the same. I have a 99 LS 400 with a single master key. The remote has been dead for the last couple of years - tried replacing the battery and that didnt work either so the remote has gone bad. Recently the plastic casing broke as well so I need to buy new keys. I can buy the keys online (ebay) for about $80. But then how do I get them cut? Also will I be able to program the remote without the original remote in working condition?

@David - What set of instructions did you use? My key FCC Code is HYQ1512V. Thanks,

The instructions I used were from keymam.com and you can find them on the net. Don't know if you can program the remote without a working original. Probably any of the vendors on the net can answer that.

Hope that helps.