Drove A 2010 Es350, Hyundai Genesis & Lincoln Mks Back To Back To

SW03ES

I was up-county yesterday with some clients and we finished early and I figured I would pop by the old Auto-Mall and see what I could see. I had the opportunity to test drive the 2010 ES350 as well as the 2010 Hyundai Genesis and the 2010 Lincoln MKS. I found it a very eye opening experience for me and thought I would share my thoughts with all of you. Please comment!

I'm going to break it down into several sections and declare a winner in each section, at least as pertains to myself.

First let me say that all of these vehicles are extremely well built and with very high quality materials. Lincoln has really come a LONG way in this regard as has Hyundai. Really and truly...there is very little quality difference between them and the Lexus, and in some areas they really excel.

The vehicles I drove were a 2010 Lexus ES350 with navigation (US Spec loaded, MSRP just over $40k), a 2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 (loaded with the tech package, MSRP about $42k), and a 2010 Lincoln MKS (fully loaded with AWD, EcoBoost engine, all the toys MSRP about $55k). The Lincoln is the one of the bunch that really stands out in terms of price, but a 2WD MKS without the EcoBoost engine can be had for $46k. Still the most expensive of the bunch.

Exterior Styling

The most subjective area to be sure. I thought all three vehicles looked fresh and modern. The Genesis is definitely an attractive car but nondescript. Hyundai deliberately left their emblem off the car everywhere but the rear decklid, and even that dealers sell a Korean-market Genesis emblem kit to replace it, as well as one for the hood and replacement wheel caps. They even offer a replacement airbag with the KDM Genesis emblem. The car I drove had this emblem kit and you would never know it was a Hyundai to look at it. To me though this is the only drawback to the car, part of owning a luxury car is being proud of the brand you have bought into. It almost becomes a lifestyle, with the Genesis you really are giving that up. The Lincoln is also an attractive car, large, awkward at some angles. The Lexus remains fresh with the 2010 update and, although the design is older than the other cars still holds up very well. 1: Lexus; 2: Genesis; 3: Lincoln

Interior Styling and Quality

This is where we really see the inroads both Hyundai and Lincoln have made on Lexus. As all of you know the ES350’s interior has always been a sore-spot for me, and while the additional trim and material upgrades for 2010 help, it still feels to me a little bit like a “stripper” when compared to its competition nowadays. The wood trim is high quality and the OLED GPS screen is sharp and bright. Seats are comfortable and supportive, all the switchgear move with Lexus precision. The Lincoln’s interior is also mostly high quality with BEAUTIFUL wood trim that looks like it’s from fine furniture, very nice Bridge of Weir leather, high quality carpeting. Far better material quality than the Lexus. The MKS gets new electroluminescent gauges for 2010 which are a huge help, and also features a high quality GPS screen. The Lincoln lags behind the Lexus and Genesis though when it comes to switchgear quality and placement as well as the readouts such as the driver information center which is a Ford parts-bin item. It definitely feels American, everything is thickly padded, leather, wood or chrome, and the steering wheel is large. This is where the Genesis REALLY shines though. The overall feel is very Lexus-esque. Leather quality surpasses the Lincoln and far surpasses the Lexus and borders on some of the softest leather I’ve felt in a car. Leather trimmed dash, nice quality carpets. The gauges are very familiar to Lexus owners and to my eye are the most expensive looking of the lot. All the switchgear is excellent as is the nav screen. All controls are routed through what I think is the best dial controller in the business. The seats are firm but comfortable and there is not a low grade plastic in the entire car. The Genesis also features by far the best rear seat of the bunch with enough room for the person behind to cross his legs. They say interior volume is more than the LS460, and while I don’t quite see that its definitely better than the ES or MKS. The whole thing just screams quality…the only downside is Hyundai’s decision to use imitation wood trim on the interior. To me that is a HUGE shame on such a beautiful car. 1: Genesis; 2: Lincoln; 3: Lexus

Audio & Nav

To me this is the biggest area where the Lexus is insufficient. The Lincoln features a 16 speaker THX surround 7.1 channel audio system that is excellent, built in XM radio and HD radio. The Genesis features an incredible 17 speaker Lexicon system (a brand only shared with Rolls Royce) with XM and HD radio…and the Lexus has a no-name stock system with no available premium upgrade save the ML on the special order only UL package. Inexcusable Lexus… The GPS system in the Lexus is the standard Lexus setup, albeit with sharper graphics and a new interface and is excellent, the Genesis also features an excellent system that also allows destination input while driving. All feature real time traffic. 1: Genesis; 2: Lincoln; 3:Lexus

Ride & Drive

This remains the area where the Lexus really shines still. Nothing rides quite like the Lexus and the ES350 is the indisputable ride leader here. All 3 ride VERY well, and while driving you think to yourself "this car rides great", but then you get into the Lexus and the refinement and smoothness of the ride is really on another level. Even my old ES surpised me with the difference when I got back in it to go home. With 140k miles it still rides a lot like the new 2010. In terms of noise isolation I’d say all three are similar. The Lincoln rides somewhat firmer than the Lexus, although my tester had 20s. The Lincoln drove very well with very neutral and nicely weighted steering. This is one sticking point for the Genesis, while it is VERY quiet and rides smoothly, the suspension is quite firm and the ride can get a little bouncy at times. Supposedly the suspension for 2010 is improved, and I have not driven an ’09. I would not call it rough or harsh, the car is valutlike solid, but it is definitely firm. New tires or lower pressures may help, but the issue is there. Power wise it is no contest, the RWD setup and 4.6L V8 on the Genesis simply dwarf both the Lexus and Lincoln. The power delivery on the Genesis reminded me a lot of the Lexus LS, it doesn’t bury the tach when you hit the gas, the power builds through the RPM range making the delivery very smooth. Transmissions on all were very smooth, although the Genesis demonstrated a little more e-throttle lag than the Lexus or Lincoln. All cars idled very smoothly although again the Lexus really shines here. You can tell that the Lexus ride was what both Hyundai and Lincoln were after. 1: Lexus; 2: Lincoln; 3: Genesis

Prestige

As I have said before, part of owning a luxury vehicle is buying admittance into an exclusive club. Some may try and down play this but really, at the crux of it, this is a big part of why we buy luxury vehicles. The Lexus clearly dominates here, and in terms of dealer quality Lincoln and certainly not Hyundai can come close. The Genesis has me really wishing Hyundai had not taken the cheaper road and created a “Genesis” brand. Like I said Hyundai sells “Genesis” specific badging, and its attractive but part of buying a luxury car is not having to feel the need to hide the manufacturer who makes it. 1: Lexus; 2: Lincoln; 3: Genesis

Value

This is a no brainer, for $42k in the Genesis you get RWD, a V8, keyless entry, an incredible audio system, super high end materials, dynamic cruise control, an incredibly well built car. You can reproduce all of those things on the Lincoln, but its going to take you to $55k which is absurd for the car. The Lexus is a great car as we all know, but from a feature-per-dollar standpoint the car is the clear loser and by a mile. Now, when you start to consider resale value the Lexus rebounds significantly. Many of the high-tech features on the Genesis and Lexus simply are unavailable on the ES at any price. 1: Genesis; 2: Lexus; 3: Lincoln

Would I buy a Hyundai Genesis? No. The long-term viability of the model is too uncertain as is the resale. However, they have some VERY attractive lease deals that basically amount to the car being $200 less per month than an ES350. It is a very hard argument to make IMHO than the ES350 is worth $200 per month more than the Hyundai Genesis, and I would seriously consider leasing one and trying it out for 3 years. Would I buy a Lincoln MKS? No. Same situation though, Ford has some good subsidized leases. Lexus offers no special lease options for the ES, or any Lexus. Buying for the long term, I would still choose the Lexus but they are going to really have to step up their game in 2012 when they do a total revamp of the ES…

Feel free to post comments or questions!

Nice write up Steve...I am going to check all 3 of those of very closely at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto next month...I have heard dozens say great things about the Hyundai...I also like the fact it's offered with a V6.

It might sound silly to some perhaps...but I have even read in a couple of auto mags come out & state...why would one pay $25k+ for the Lexus LS when you can get pretty much all the same toys in the Genesis (kind of the same when Lexus hit N.A. shores back in '89 & they compared to all the European Luxury brands...and handed them their own butts in the process)...I'd like to take both out for a drive to see for myself...can one justify that much extra coin for the Lexus now?

Would make for an interesting comparo...don't you think? ;)

I hear you about the 'image' & styling thing though...why does Hyundai not seem proud showing who makes their 'flagship' vehicle except on the trunk lid? One needs to wonder. :huh: And for me, it does look a bit like a cross between a Benz & an LS IMO...from the late 90's / early 2000's however....but they definately have come a long way.

:cheers:

Have you ever seen those ads where they show a car but they don't want to pay for the rights to show a specific brand so they put a bunch of parts of different cars together and make a car they don't have to buy the rights to? Thats kind of what the Genesis looks like to me lol.

In terms of the LS, its not an LS. Toys aside the LS is more refined and rides MUCH better. Now when the Equus comes over here it might be another story.

Should we merge this thread with the one in the general discussions? lol

And I know it's not the LS...not a half bad 1st attempt by Hyundai though as just on the styling alone they were influenced heavily on the LS styling & I think they thought it was 1989 all over again. ;)

:cheers:

Excellent write up.

The Genesis is a nice car,no doubt.

I just can't see me plunking down $40K+ for a Hyundai.Maybe in the future but certainly not now.

The resale value of Hyundai's have been awful.Let's see how the Genesis does.

I live in the NYC metro area and have seen maybe 3 Genesis' on the road.I don't think they're selling well.

I like the Genesis interior except for the dash look.

Hyundai annouced that the Genesis line will have it's own showrooms in the near future which should help sales.

Hyundai is where Toyota was in the early 80's.They'll be a big player in 5 years or so.

The Lincoln is a nice car also but for $55K,there's mnay other cars I would choose.

The ES 350 is a bland car.It's not perfect.The stock audio system isn't great and should be better but the car rides great,comfortable,peppy and reliable.I do like the '10 refresh enough to cause me to buy one.

I know, I broke the rules. Now I've lost all credibility ;)

I just can't see me plunking down $40K+ for a Hyundai.Maybe in the future but certainly not now.

Thats why I would lease one.

I know, I broke the rules. Now I've lost all credibility ;)

Thats why I would lease one.

No credibility lost at all,Steve. :lol:

Yeah,leasing probably would be the only way to go.

Now I have been in both cars, MKS and Genesis, although I have not driven either

Exterior styling: I agree the Lexus wins out hands down, The ES exudes a quiet, rich and sophisticated elegance, and it has a very beautiful stance. I keep my 09 very clean and polished and I always get questions like “What kind of car is that?” The Lincoln has a nice exterior but it seems heavy and bulky. The Genesis seems to be a ‘knock’ off an older Mercedes and the back looks like the Acura RL design. I would place the Lincoln at #2 though.

Interior Styling and Quality: Lexus #1, Now the Lincoln has indeed come a long way, but the gauges remind me of the 70’s. They still have the same look!!. I I’m a Detroiter who worked in the factory, and I can see what I saw in the 70’s. The radio and center console knobs are small and a little ‘busy’. The big Lincoln emblem seems like an afterthought or like ‘filler’ Quality of materials is definitely an improvement from previous Lincolns. The leather was excellent.

I was definitely not feeling the Genesis, the interior IMO seemed a little low grade, definitely not Lexus or even MKS competitive. The entire dash and center console design seemed incoherent without any design ‘theme or personality’. However, the leather was excellent agreed. The ES has an excellent interior design theme even in the absence of all the wood that the MKS/Genesis have. It has a beautiful center console flow and the entire dash is coherent, with a very good logical layout. The quality of material is “Lexus” like, need I say more? To rate Lexus last IMO is an insult, but of course I’m taking everything in good cheer. Even Lexus’s harshest critics rate its interior above all in its class. (BMW/Mercedes, Infiniti, etc) The Big Three is stepping up their game but their interiors are still not on par with Lexus, Mercedes or BMW, but you can tell that they are starting to put more money into their interiors instead of giving us the ‘bling’ with no substance. Chrysler however has not learned yet unfortunately. The CTS is definitely moving up.

Audio and Nav: On audio Lexus lags here, I have had Lexus salesmen admit to me that Lexus skimps here. The speakers are bought from a low grade China supplier. I’m not sure why Lexus cheaps out on its audio system, especially considering that the ES is their bread and butter. I would rate Lexus last here as well. The Lincoln THX system rocks!!, and the Genesis system is even better. The Navigation IMO is good I don’t have a problem with being unable to set destinations while driving, I tend to get nervous if I spend too much time looking at the screen, while driving, so I see this feature as good. I would rate the Nav about equal here, giving the ES a slight edge.

Ride and Drive: I can’t compare as I did not drive either the Genesis or MKS. I do know however that the ES has a ride that is smooth as polished glass. Even my wife’s 05 ES 330 rides like a dream. That car rocks!! My wife and I test drove a 08 Infiniti M and we noticed right away that the ride was not on par with the ES. It is not hard for me to accept your rating here, but I can’t speak with any ‘authority’.

Prestige: You are dead on with your observation that a person when buying a luxury vehicle buys into a lifestyle or the ‘brand’ and here Lexus dominates, you really have to compare the ES with the BMW or Mercedes IMO to come close here.

Agreed Lexus hands down. They have a very well established brand and lifestyle and its dealership experience is a very important component of the ‘lifestyle’. Let’s face it, when I walk into my dealership in ATL, I feel like I have ‘arrived’, and that I’m in a special class of car. I know Lexus wants its customers to feel that way. You feel like you’re walking around with people with money. Compare that to walking into a Lincoln or Hyundai dealership.

Value: Well that’s what’s determines value IMO, it’s not just the initial cost, but resale value. A high resale value keep the price of the car high and thus adds ‘value’ to ownership. Ponder the Honda’s and Camrys and of course BMW and Mercedes. Selling a car cheap hurts its overall value, no matter how many options it has. Yes agreed the Genesis has a lot going on, and with its V-8 it should not be compared with the ES, but with the LS, where it would fail badly. The Genesis has “super” high end materials?? I wonder what car I was sitting in?? .I know you have some issues with the Lexus interior, but the interior is universally marveled at by all its reviewers, but that does not negate your concerns at all. I just didn’t see the Genesis topping out the Lexus.

Does the Genesis have power telescopic steering?, No it does not, a feature that can only be found on a BMW or Mercedes, 5 and E series respectively. What about puddle lamps??....The ES has keyless entry, so the Genesis doesn't get any points here. If you want to compare the Lexus to its ‘class’ you really have to step up to a BMW or Mercedes. Time will tell how well built and reliable the Genesis is, the jury is still out for a few more years. IMO the only competition the ES has is from the Germans. Yes, BMW and Mercedes. They both compare favorably with the Lexus in terms of build/interior quality, but fall short in overall reliability.

I appreciate your analysis and certainly your final conclusion….... Thanks for the review!!..... :cheers:

I think you might be a little bit biased.

Read the reviews of the Genesis. You won't find one reviewer who felt the materials in the interior were anything but excellent. The materials on the ES350 are fine, but they are a downgrade from the materials the car used to have. Thats my issue moreso than how the materials themselves fare compared to the competition.

You're not allowing yourself to get past all the intangible BS the Lexus brand affords you. You've bought into it, which is fine I also enjoy it. When you take the lifestyle out of the equation though and just look at the merits of the cars you simply can't come to the conclusion that the ES and the Genesis are on the same level. The Genesis is much more car, for less money. Plain and simple.

Interior Styling and Quality: Lexus #1, Now the Lincoln has indeed come a long way, but the gauges remind me of the 70’s.

You must have sat in a 2009, lots of them on the lots. They added a three pod optitron gauge cluster for 2010 which is much better. Keep in mind that part of Lincoln's overall styling theme these days is that the cars are supposed to be a little bit retro...

Yes agreed the Genesis has a lot going on, and with its V-8 it should not be compared with the ES, but with the LS, where it would fail badly.

How can you not compare two cars that are exactly the same price? Remember also that the Genesis also comes in a V6, and with the V6 and no tech package (which would compare to the loaded ES350) it is cheaper than the ES. With the V6 and the tech package it is cheaper than the ES and has WAY more features. I promise you ES350 buyers are driving the Genesis. Even if you compared the Genesis to the LS, where the LS would be smoother and quieter but offers no real option benefit, the same performance, and slightly less interior volume for $30,000 more! You could buy a Genesis 4.6 sedan and a Genesis coupe for the weekends for the price of an LS460. You could buy a Genesis and join a Country Club and get all the haughty nonsense you want for the cost of an LS460. You have to look at what you get for that $30k over the Genesis, you get a better riding and quieter car, and Lexus prestige. Thats it...even with the LS. Wait until Hyundai rolls out the Equus...your argument is exactly what everyone said when the LS400 came out in 1989 at a similar price savings to Mercedes and BMW...and look what happened.

Does the Genesis have power telescopic steering?, No it does not, a feature that can only be found on a BMW or Mercedes

Yes it does, just like the Lexus....and the Lincoln...and the Acura...and the Infiniti. Everybody does.

What about puddle lamps??....

Yes it does, just like the Lexus....and the Lincoln...and the Acura...and the Infiniti. Everybody does.

IMO the only competition the ES has is from the Germans. Yes, BMW and Mercedes. They both compare favorably with the Lexus in terms of build/interior quality, but fall short in overall reliability.

I could not disagree more. In fact I don't think the Germans have anything to compete with the ES, the C and 3 are too small and too sporty, and the E and 5 are too expensive. I don't really think ES buyers are shopping the Germans, but they are looking at the Genesis, the Lincoln MKZ and MKS, the Acura TL, and the Infiniti G and M.

The competition is fierce in this segment now, and the ES is outdated and under equipped. The only thing you can give it nowadays is it rides really well and is really quiet, its very reliable. These alternative brands are catching up on prestige, quality, reliability, and dealer experience. Pretending Lexus doesn't have come catching up to do doesn't help them. We all want them to keep making the best cars on the road but I think its becoming apparent that they have been resting on their laurels for the last 5 years or so. Lexus and Toyota both. Go sit in a Rav 4 and a Hyundai Santa Fe...or the new Hyundai Tuscon, the Rav4 feels pathetically cheap in comparison, for MORE money!

Hyundai is building the kinds of vehicles Toyota used to build, and look at the sales figues. Hyundai is one of the only companies who'se sales figures and market share have GROWN during the recession. Toyota has lost 30%, Hyundai is up 10%. Value and quality is very important in this post-recession world an Hyundai is making all the right moves. It seems to me more and more Toyota is making all the wrong ones...

I would be really hard pressed to buy a Toyota today over a Hyundai. The Sonata is much more car than the Camry and cheaper, the Santa Fe and Tuscon are much more car than the Rav 4. The Elantra is much more car than the Corolla. The Highlander is still a great vehicle but its WAY WAY too expensive. and cheaper. The Sienna van...but I'd rather have a Honda Odyssey. The Prius is still in a class of its own.

Well of course I'm biased!!...otherwise I would not have spent nearly 40K on the car. I looked at that the Genesis and had the opportunity to buy one...I can honestly tell you I just didn't feel the same enthusiasm you have....but isn't that what life is about 'choices??....I had my choice and I decided on Lexus..."Everybody" has Power telescopic steering??...it's a nice feature IMO.....but all the cars you named simply don't have it...and not the Genesis..please recheck this...as far as the intangible BS...well that's just another name for 'marketing...we all buy into it on some level or another...but agreed we must get past it to make a rational decision and that is exactly what I did. I have no desire to make this a 'tit' for 'tat' dialogue, I do respect your observations. I just don't share your zeal for the Genesis. Yes I did sit in the 09 MKS, but I'm not into the retro stuff that comes out of Detroit...LOL..maybe I've seen too much of it. Anyway I appreciate your comments...and indeed criticisms...Peace

I think you might be a little bit biased.

Read the reviews of the Genesis. You won't find one reviewer who felt the materials in the interior were anything but excellent. The materials on the ES350 are fine, but they are a downgrade from the materials the car used to have. Thats my issue moreso than how the materials themselves fare compared to the competition.

You're not allowing yourself to get past all the intangible BS the Lexus brand affords you. You've bought into it, which is fine I also enjoy it. When you take the lifestyle out of the equation though and just look at the merits of the cars you simply can't come to the conclusion that the ES and the Genesis are on the same level. The Genesis is much more car, for less money. Plain and simple.

Interior Styling and Quality: Lexus #1, Now the Lincoln has indeed come a long way, but the gauges remind me of the 70’s.

You must have sat in a 2009, lots of them on the lots. They added a three pod optitron gauge cluster for 2010 which is much better. Keep in mind that part of Lincoln's overall styling theme these days is that the cars are supposed to be a little bit retro...

Yes agreed the Genesis has a lot going on, and with its V-8 it should not be compared with the ES, but with the LS, where it would fail badly.

How can you not compare two cars that are exactly the same price? Remember also that the Genesis also comes in a V6, and with the V6 and no tech package (which would compare to the loaded ES350) it is cheaper than the ES. With the V6 and the tech package it is cheaper than the ES and has WAY more features. I promise you ES350 buyers are driving the Genesis. Even if you compared the Genesis to the LS, where the LS would be smoother and quieter but offers no real option benefit, the same performance, and slightly less interior volume for $30,000 more! You could buy a Genesis 4.6 sedan and a Genesis coupe for the weekends for the price of an LS460. You could buy a Genesis and join a Country Club and get all the haughty nonsense you want for the cost of an LS460. You have to look at what you get for that $30k over the Genesis, you get a better riding and quieter car, and Lexus prestige. Thats it...even with the LS. Wait until Hyundai rolls out the Equus...your argument is exactly what everyone said when the LS400 came out in 1989 at a similar price savings to Mercedes and BMW...and look what happened.

Does the Genesis have power telescopic steering?, No it does not, a feature that can only be found on a BMW or Mercedes

What about puddle lamps??....

IMO the only competition the ES has is from the Germans. Yes, BMW and Mercedes. They both compare favorably with the Lexus in terms of build/interior quality, but fall short in overall reliability.

I could not disagree more. In fact I don't think the Germans have anything to compete with the ES, the C and 3 are too small and too sporty, and the E and 5 are too expensive. I don't really think ES buyers are shopping the Germans, but they are looking at the Genesis, the Lincoln MKZ and MKS, the Acura TL, and the Infiniti G and M.

The competition is fierce in this segment now, and the ES is outdated and under equipped. The only thing you can give it nowadays is it rides really well and is really quiet, its very reliable. These alternative brands are catching up on prestige, quality, reliability, and dealer experience. Pretending Lexus doesn't have come catching up to do doesn't help them. We all want them to keep making the best cars on the road but I think its becoming apparent that they have been resting on their laurels for the last 5 years or so. Lexus and Toyota both. Go sit in a Rav 4 and a Hyundai Santa Fe...or the new Hyundai Tuscon, the Rav4 feels pathetically cheap in comparison, for MORE money!

Hyundai is building the kinds of vehicles Toyota used to build, and look at the sales figues. Hyundai is one of the only companies who'se sales figures and market share have GROWN during the recession. Toyota has lost 30%, Hyundai is up 10%. Value and quality is very important in this post-recession world an Hyundai is making all the right moves. It seems to me more and more Toyota is making all the wrong ones...

I would be really hard pressed to buy a Toyota today over a Hyundai. The Sonata is much more car than the Camry and cheaper, the Santa Fe and Tuscon are much more car than the Rav 4. The Elantra is much more car than the Corolla. The Highlander is still a great vehicle but its WAY WAY too expensive. and cheaper. The Sienna van...but I'd rather have a Honda Odyssey. The Prius is still in a class of its own.

Part of reviewing something though requires you to detach yourself from the emotion you feel for your vehicle. I spent $40,000 on the car too.

"Everybody" has Power telescopic steering??...it's a nice feature IMO.....but all the cars you named simply don't have it...and not the Genesis..please recheck this...

I drove two seperate Genesis (a V8 and a V6) for 40 minutes each...the Hyundai Genesis ABSOLUTELY has a power tilt and telescoping steering column that operates with the ignition the same way Lexus does. The Lincoln ABSOLUTELY does too, I drove it for 40 minutes also. Honestly, almost every luxury branded car has this now.

Go on the www.hyundaigenesis.com website and do the interior virtual tour, the first thing it shows is the power tilt/telescopic wheel coming down into place.

Aha! Figured it out. You must have driven a completely base car. As per Hyundai's website the power tilt/telescoping steering column is part of the Premium package, which is the base package without even navigation. The only Genesis without that feature is the base car with no option packages.

Hardly a fair comparison to the ES350...you need to look at a car with the tech package. That car doesn't even have the upgraded audio and is nearly $10,000 cheaper than the ES.

Check it out: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis/pricing.aspx

On the Lincoln you can clearly see the control for the power tilt/telescoping wheel on the column...and this MKS is completely basic...

4744104_24.jpg

OMG that Lincoln interior looks hideous! Look at that fat patch of black seat controls on the tan leather seat. I would exit the car stage left, immediately, if I saw that in person.

I sat in a Genesis and thought the leather felt really cheap/thin? (Like the ES350!) Do they put cheaper leather in the lesser Genesis'? I like the looks of the Genesis – I don’t like that the front doesn’t have he “H;” reminds me of going to a friend’s house and them asking “Hey, want a Mountain Dew(?)” and them handing me a “Green Lightening.” Hyundai has a long way to go in the brand image dept. Just own your former-cheapassness and change it and make it better, don’t try to bamboozle me by leaving your italic “H” in the parts bin.

You have to see the Lincoln's interior in person...it shows much better than in pictures. Its different than the Lexus, its much straighter and more "American" and that either appeals to you or doesn't.

As for the leather in the Genesis the upper models do have better leather, its probably close to the best leather I've felt in a car...

You can't blame them for leaving the H off the front ;)

No emotion here at all....I simply stated that being biased is not a 'negative'...this is not a 'blind'...irrational bias....certainly we all are biased when we choose one brand over another....because that brand has convinced us its the best choice...so that's good bias...remember when I wrote that I made a rational choice...well that's exactly what I did....I studied the auto market for 2 yrs before deciding on a car...and guess who came out on top??...the Lexus ES 350...this was not an "I'm hot and bothered'..so let me go out and buy a car..No...I did my research...and picked at lot of brains....my second choice would have been the M35...but I soured on it's poor gas mileage....after I spoke to a few owners....but it was very close...ruled out BMW and Mercedes because of owner maintenance costs...Yes...looked at the MKS....drove the Caddy CTS....very nice car (Wow!!... now that concept caddy XTS Platinum is simply wicked!!) but not enough to convince me to choose it...as for the Genesis..and I realize you really like this car...I just don't...not my 'flavor'...it has some excellent features too...as you noted.....and at the end of the day you stayed in the Lexus column...

I looked at the tech package....great features...it's an attractive car....but IMO the Lexus looks better....and Lexus has (although they need to really tighten the anchors and step up their game)...one of the best reliable ratings and resale values in the industry....Now for the power telescopic steering....So does that initiate automatically when the car is started to the setting the driver has set??....I'm looking at the picture you provided....but it looks like the telescoping is set 'manually'....I didn't see on Lincoln's web site where it's listed as power....it just mentioned tilt-adjustable...but it could be...though and perhaps you're correct.....and they just didn't list it as such...I'll say this...I would wait a few years and then come back...and take another look...at the Genesis...but I can tell you this...if GM puts that XTS Platinum on t the market...it might be hands down....that car super sharp....looks like Big D is finally finding it's groove!!....didn't mean to diverge and get off topic....but link is here... :cheers:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/12/detroit...to-replace-sts/

Aha! Figured it out. You must have driven a completely base car. As per Hyundai's website the power tilt/telescoping steering column is part of the Premium package, which is the base package without even navigation. The only Genesis without that feature is the base car with no option packages.

Hardly a fair comparison to the ES350...you need to look at a car with the tech package. That car doesn't even have the upgraded audio and is nearly $10,000 cheaper than the ES.

Check it out: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis/pricing.aspx

On the Lincoln you can clearly see the control for the power tilt/telescoping wheel on the column...and this MKS is completely basic...

4744104_24.jpg

So does that initiate automatically when the car is started to the setting the driver has set??....I'm looking at the picture you provided....but it looks like the telescoping is set 'manually'....I didn't see on Lincoln's web site where it's listed as power....it just mentioned tilt-adjustable...but it could be...though and perhaps you're correct.....and they just didn't list it as such...

The power tilt/telescoping steering wheel works exactly the same way in the Genesis and the MKS as it does in the Lexus. Almost all luxury cars have that feature nowadays...which is why they really don't talk about it. This is 100% accurate, I know because I drove both cars and experienced it working in exactly the same way as the Lexus.