Windows 7

nc211

Well, I'm thinking it's about time for me to go legit, and pay "the man"..aka..Bill Gates, and upgrade my bootlegged XP Pro to Windows 7. I've had this version of XP for 9 years now, and with DC's help, got upgraded to SP2 "love ya' DC!" But, I've got to make sure nothing ever goes to microsoft's site to update anything. If it does, the evil force knows i'm not 2 legit 2 quit, and next thing I know, I'm swamped with popups from them. So, instead of spending several hundred, if not a cool grand+ to replace my newly upgraded desktop with a Mac, I'm thinking about going with the $150 Windows 7 Pro.

Anyone experience this new OS yet? Any comments? Yes, I know, it's Windows...glitches here and there. But, I've been Windows for 2 decades, got too much invested in that platform, and not willing to steer away and make that kind of investment. When XP came out, it was a whole new Kernel platform from 95/98/Me/NT. Then they made Vista on that Kernel, and killed it. Anyone know if 7 is entirely new Kernel? Or just more lipstick on XP?

Thanks my LOC amigos!!!!

I love Windows 7. I'm a Mac guy at heart but Windows 7 has some features I wish OS X had. I've been using 7 for at least six months (in beta) and I have to say it's pretty slick, it's Vista done right.

However if you are going to purchase 7 and want to be totally legal you need to buy a FULL version, not an upgrade (the upgrade is a P.I.T.A from XP anyway). You can get an OEM copy of 7 Pro from newegg.com for $140.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116756

BTW correction in your post, 95/98/ME shared the same kernel, NT was on a TOTALLY different kernel than those, as was Windows 2000. XP was the NT kernel for home use and that is what Vista and now 7 are based on.

Thanks Kyle! If a Mac guy says he likes it, I'm sold! I won't do the upgrade either. I remember the nightmares of the "upgrade" on past OS platforms (Me). I'll buy the professional - complete package.

I love the marketing platform of Windows 7 "we asked you to tell us what you want, and we listened". Why do I have a feeling most of those comments were "we want a Mac!" :lol:

I love the marketing platform of Windows 7 "we asked you to tell us what you want, and we listened". Why do I have a feeling most of those comments were "we want a Mac!" :lol:
I know, I have noticed that Windows is starting to look more and more like Mac OSX. And, that's fine by me, I want the market share of OSX to stay low so that we continue to be overlooked when it comes to viruses and such--why terrorize 5% of the market when you can get 95%??
Apple is the VW of the computer world!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Except Apple is extremely reliable and dependable, and overall, VW is not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm using it as I type this, on my father in law's new HP TouchSmart (touch screen) computer. I love it, I'm buying it this week when we return to Chitcago! I LOVE the computer too! Touch screen technology is fantastic! Love the "all-in-one" set-up too. Only one wire for the machine, the power cord. Everything else is wireless. I'm a fan, for sure. 7 is very nice, and will be a nice upgrade from my XP. Connected my new HD camcorder to this machine with no software, and pulled down the videos straight to the machine. My computer at home requires the Cannon software that came with the camera to do this, in several steps.

I'm sold on Windows 7.

I've been running it for a couple of months now (we're a MS partner) and it seems fine, it hasn't crashed yet. The only problem that you might run into is hardware compatibility - check to make sure all of your hardware has Vista/7 drivers available, especially printers/scanner/etc. Oh, and make sure you have a lot of RAM.

Good luck!

grondie, you're a Merkur fan I see! I think you're the only person I know to have not one, but two XR4Ti's! Personally, I love those cars! I think they're very cool!

On the Windows 7: I bought the home premium FULL (not the upgrade) disc today at lunch. Will be installing it on my home desktop (currently on the bootleg XP) this weekend. It's going onto a machine that had a new motherboard/processor/ram installed exactly one year ago (I rebuilt it from 2001). I have no idea if I have a 32 bit or 64 bit system, probably 32 bit. I do have a "dual core" processor, if that means anything to anyone? It's an Intel widget. I think I've got 3 gigs of ddr ram in there too, can't remember. All I know is that it should be a lot faster than it is right now, so I'm thinking this Windows 7 might be the ticket to clean it up. With our new hard drive camcorder (3rd one in as many years, thanks to me frying the 1st one in Sydney, buying another in Sydney, only to learn what PAL and NTSC mean after getting home), and all the pictures of our son growing up, being on the bootleg XP platform just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies anymore. Yes, I have an external hard drive I plug in and copy everything onto, that lives in our safety box at the bank.

So, we'll see how this goes. I'll post up my results later. I guess NC-Hammer became too legit to quit afterall, eh' DC!?!? :lol:

Kyle: I looked at your link to buy the software. I don't know what "for System Builders" means, in comparison to the full retail version?

Update: I love it, it rocks, very happy with the $200 investment!

I am taking your word on this one Nc ;) I will take the plunge :cheers:

I think you'll be very happy with it DC! Granted, it's not a Mac, and after spending a few minutes toying with the $799 iMac - 20 inch, computer this weekend at Frys Electronics, it's pretty clear Microsoft still has a ways to go before they hit "Mac Status". That iMac was amazingly fast, smooth, and beautiful. But, $200 to get your rocks off, or $1000 to update/upgrade from a PC platform (plus the learning curve to gain the same comfort level you have with a PC already), just stands in my way of making that kind of investment.

At the end of the day - I'm quite satisfied with my decision and purchase of Windows 7 Home. Now, granted, I'm coming from a platform that was non-upgradable due to the nature of the system (bootlegged), so I gain some extra comfort with Windows 7 in that respect. But, the home networking set up is very easy, the graphics are very nice, and the overall operations of the system is noticably smoother and faster! Plus, I haven't had to load up a bunch of 3rd party software to use my attachments, like my digital cam-corder or printer. Windows 7 already had all the drivers needed.

However, be warned, you'll need to buy Office 2007 if you want to use Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc... The old platforms don't work on Windows 7, or at least my old platform of Office Pro 2000 wouldn't. You can pick up a Business/Student version for about $100 bucks at the stores.

I also ditched my 3rd party antivirus software for Microsofts Security Essentials instead. This has made a huge improvement in speed, and it's free!

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us

lexfourcam: Thanks for the offer! I believe my system can run the 64 bit version, as the Windows 7 Advisor program did suggest it could. The problem at the time was my hard drive, which was an older PATA system with adaptors to run in the faster SATA environment. Those little adaptors kill the transfer speeds that 64 requires. Since installing the OS, I have added a new 1TB hard drive, that is true SATA, but have already installed the OS on the older HD (have both hooked up). Maybe one day I'll get around to the 64 bit setup, but just don't have the time right now to redo everything. 32 bit is plenty fast for this limited computer goober!!

glad you're satisfied with windows 7. This makes me wanna fix my liquid cooled super computer. Yes sata is much better than pata i belive it's around a 160mb/s transfer rate. If you had two identical hard drives and your system supports raid you should consider it. Instead of reading and writing to one hard drive it does it off of both! I had it setup one time and oh man does it make a difference. Glad to hear windows 7 is a big improvement over vista though!

• 1 month later...

Update:

I now have Windows 7 Home Premium on my Acer netbook too. I had to purchase a new activation code online for about $70, but didn't have to buy another $200 Windows 7 disc. I upgraded the ram from 1gb to 1.5gb. Got my netbook as a christmas gift in 2008. Windows 7 works flawlessly on it, not a single problem or glitch.

I learned a very cool trick recently that I tought I would share with you fellow Windows 7 users (or future users)

Create a new folder on your desktop and name it this:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

It will change the look of the folder to a control panel. Go inside and see almost every setting you can set on your computer in one easy to scroll format.

Did this last night on the netbook, and it works great! You can manage everything about the computer from here..

• 1 month later...

Are you serious?? Use a Mac, people :)

I have W7 installed on my 13" Macbook Pro and I use Windows about once a day, to play GTA SA-MP. But I'm very used to OS X now and wouldn't want to use Windows as my main OS anymore. OS X is much smoother and more natural for me.

And XP is so 2002

Are you serious?? Use a Mac, people :)

I have W7 installed on my 13" Macbook Pro and I use Windows about once a day, to play GTA SA-MP. But I'm very used to OS X now and wouldn't want to use Windows as my main OS anymore. OS X is much smoother and more natural for me.

And XP is so 2002

Yes, I am serious :blink: As my computers age and go by the wayside I will only buy a Mac. Until then The machines I have are perfectly fine. And by the way, W-XP is still one of the most reliable and stable OS MS ever produced IMHO :cheers: