So, I'm Thinking Of Two New Cars Too

nc211

Ok, since buying my 01 GS back in March, I've driven it a grand total of 2,383 miles (approx 59k on the clock). However, the 4runner is quickly approaching 80k on the clock. I'm thinking of making some shifts in my garage inventory.....

Since I don't drive my car nearly as much anymore, at all, I'm a little tempted to tryout some other types of cars that normally I was a little to affraid to take on, BMW and MB. And, seeing as how I do a 10 mile lap from home-office-home 5 days a week only, I'm thinking I'm overpaying for that service with the GS. I'm thinking of ditching the GS for a higher mileage 325xi, and then trading the 4runner up to a 05-06 GX470. All-in, would save about $1,000-$1,500 a year. I'd simply hand the keys to the GS and about $5,000 over for the keys to a 03-04 325xi with about 80k miles. Hand the keys to the 4runner and about $21-$22k for a 05' GX470 with about 50k miles. I'm seeing them list for about $28k around here. Probably $3k equity in the GS, probably $4k in the 4runner, which would pencil the GX at about $26k, all-in. We bought the 4runner at 52k miles, and it's been perfect. I can only imagine the same results on a GX, since so much of the two share components.

I've always wanted to try a BMW, and seeing as how I'm not all that dependant on a car these days, I not all that picky if something rattles or wiggles. Up here, everything rattles and wiggles on these roads! So, whatcha' think?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NC, that's not a bad strategy at all. What year BMW are you looking at? Is it BMW 328 specifically? or the best bang for a price bracket?

Do you have the time as well as the interest to take on more maintenance and problems that will invariably come with a higher-mileage vehicle, especially a BMW? If that doesn't bother you, then I see no other reason not to take a shot at your idea considering your annual driving mileage seems to have decreased dramatically since your move to Chicago....

Speaking of that, early this year (pre-move if I remember correctly) you said that you saw it as essentially a 3-year commitment before you would be able to find a way to get back to North Carolina. Is that still your perception?

Thanks guys, I'm seriously considering doing this. The only problem, is my wife isn't a car nut like I am, and says she doesn't want to replace the 4runner. I can't blame her, as it's been down-right flawless. But, she hasn't been inside of a GX470 either. The only way I'd do this, is if the 4runner gets upgraded, because there are times when I'll need a big-boy businessman vehicle, which the GS430 serves quite well. A 325xi won't fit that bill, as it's too small.

Smooth, my approach is really more bang for the buck, and AWD. I know the GS is going to be a hassle at times this winter, even with the "snow" option activated. And I'm not going to put nobbies on it either, that just bugs me. I'd rather replace the car, then spend the next 6 months driving around with Mickey Thompsons on a Lexus.

When I was searching for a replacement vehicle for my wife's Honda Civic (ended up to be the Mazda), we were seriously considering a 3 series. I remember talking to a few people at gas stations and parking lots that had them, asking them how they liked theirs and if problems were an issue. Everyone said they loved theirs, had no major problems, and all were in the 100k+ mileage area. One guy had a 330xi with over 300k miles on it! And said it's the best car he's ever owned. They're basically the European Honda Civics, from what I can gather. Top Gear said the same thing. So if I found one with about 80k miles, had it checked out by a pro mechanic (there is a german shop two blocks from my house called Gearhead http://www.gearhead-autorepair.com/ that everyone raves about in town), then I'd be ok with it. Considering the mileage that's going to be put on it, I'm not too worried about wear and tear from me. At this rate, I'll be changing the oil in the Lexus once a year!

RX: I don't have the time to do anything these days! :lol: I've got about $900 worth of new parts for the Lexus sitting in my garage, that I ordered back in July (brakes, ball joints, plugs, pads, ball joints, fan belt) that I just can't find the time to get to. Our 3 year plan still exists, pending the economy will allow it. But, probably won't be NC anymore, thanks to Charlotte being wiped out by all of this. We're looking at Atlanta instead. But, if my company decides to go back to the east coast, which I'm 90% positive they will, then I'm the logical pick to run it. But, rumor has it, they'd like NYC or DC. NYC is a no-way in hell option. DC would be tough too, but it depends on the salary bump, which will have to increase dramatically for us to agree to it. For some reason, they're just fans of the southeast. Funny, considering everyone BUT us has a dedicated office in Atlanta. I was in Raleigh last Wednesday to inspect one of our assets downtown. I had dinner with some folks, and all I can say is the pieces to puzzle to execute the 3 year plan, are in play. The questions that remain is where, and the economy. Commercial Real Estate is being chatted up as the next shoe to drop. I don't believe the news reports at all, but I do think it'll take a hit, but not like what these "expert" idiots are saying everywhere. Too many lessons learned in the early 90's, too many tools put into place back then, for the industry to faulter like that again. Heck, we're two years into this recession, and it remains healthy, the only healthy sector left actually. Indications from the past few months on the bond markets certainly suggest a strong belief in the sector from investors, given the billions of dollars raised by the REITS via unsecured bond offerings, and coupons lower than mortgage rates. They put the offering out there, and investors snap it up faster than a Taco Bell drive-thru.

So...we'll see what happens, on all fronts. First thing, is getting the wife to check out a GX470 and get on board with this.

Thanks guys, I'm seriously considering doing this. The only problem, is my wife isn't a car nut like I am, and says she doesn't want to replace the 4runner. I can't blame her, as it's been down-right flawless. But, she hasn't been inside of a GX470 either. The only way I'd do this, is if the 4runner gets upgraded, because there are times when I'll need a big-boy businessman vehicle, which the GS430 serves quite well. A 325xi won't fit that bill, as it's too small.

Smooth, my approach is really more bang for the buck, and AWD. I know the GS is going to be a hassle at times this winter, even with the "snow" option activated. And I'm not going to put nobbies on it either, that just bugs me. I'd rather replace the car, then spend the next 6 months driving around with Mickey Thompsons on a Lexus.

When I was searching for a replacement vehicle for my wife's Honda Civic (ended up to be the Mazda), we were seriously considering a 3 series. I remember talking to a few people at gas stations and parking lots that had them, asking them how they liked theirs and if problems were an issue. Everyone said they loved theirs, had no major problems, and all were in the 100k+ mileage area. One guy had a 330xi with over 300k miles on it! And said it's the best car he's ever owned. They're basically the European Honda Civics, from what I can gather. Top Gear said the same thing. So if I found one with about 80k miles, had it checked out by a pro mechanic (there is a german shop two blocks from my house called Gearhead http://www.gearhead-autorepair.com/ that everyone raves about in town), then I'd be ok with it. Considering the mileage that's going to be put on it, I'm not too worried about wear and tear from me. At this rate, I'll be changing the oil in the Lexus once a year!

RX: I don't have the time to do anything these days! :lol: I've got about $900 worth of new parts for the Lexus sitting in my garage, that I ordered back in July (brakes, ball joints, plugs, pads, ball joints, fan belt) that I just can't find the time to get to. Our 3 year plan still exists, pending the economy will allow it. But, probably won't be NC anymore, thanks to Charlotte being wiped out by all of this. We're looking at Atlanta instead. But, if my company decides to go back to the east coast, which I'm 90% positive they will, then I'm the logical pick to run it. But, rumor has it, they'd like NYC or DC. NYC is a no-way in hell option. DC would be tough too, but it depends on the salary bump, which will have to increase dramatically for us to agree to it. For some reason, they're just fans of the southeast. Funny, considering everyone BUT us has a dedicated office in Atlanta. I was in Raleigh last Wednesday to inspect one of our assets downtown. I had dinner with some folks, and all I can say is the pieces to puzzle to execute the 3 year plan, are in play. The questions that remain is where, and the economy. Commercial Real Estate is being chatted up as the next shoe to drop. I don't believe the news reports at all, but I do think it'll take a hit, but not like what these "expert" idiots are saying everywhere. Too many lessons learned in the early 90's, too many tools put into place back then, for the industry to faulter like that again. Heck, we're two years into this recession, and it remains healthy, the only healthy sector left actually. Indications from the past few months on the bond markets certainly suggest a strong belief in the sector from investors, given the billions of dollars raised by the REITS via unsecured bond offerings, and coupons lower than mortgage rates. They put the offering out there, and investors snap it up faster than a Taco Bell drive-thru.

So...we'll see what happens, on all fronts. First thing, is getting the wife to check out a GX470 and get on board with this.

:rolleyes: Start with flowers first.

I loved the 03-05 BMW model design. The headlights and body flow on that car are just beautiful. lexirx got a great deal on an (05?) X5 loaded, and he's lovin it. And as I already said, those were the best looking designs so far in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like the current look, but I can't help but ooohh a little more over those. And I've always wished the interiors were a little more "Lexus" like, for the lack of being able to find a simpler description. If I were "up north", I think I would be doing or have done exactly what your trying to do here. One big capable and "luxo" SUV for the family and professional needs, and the "toy" car for all the other "needs." LOL! I do understand not wanting to give up a great running truck though. But it's not like you trading in reliability for looks, you actually trading up the ladder in both. Just take her car shopping with ya. ;) Once the bug bites theres only one cure for the fever.

I know several people with GX470s and all of them are very happy with them.

The 3 series BMW has never done anything for me though. I have a friend that loves them and has had 3 or 4, all converibles and the convertible is sharp, but the sedan has always looked dumpy to me. No way I'd trade a GS for one, JMHO.

In terms of reliability, the 3 series seems very reliable. Its the 5 that has a lot more issues, I have a buddy with an 03 530i that he put $10,000 into last year in repairs...

I can't imagine the cost of living here would be that much worse than in Chicago...

I don't mind the style of the 2003-ish BMW 3 series sedans, i think they look very classy.

If you want it and can afford it, i say go for it. Like i said before, you only live once. Even if it didn't turn out, not the end of the world.

As for the wife, if she's anything like my girlfriend (or like any girl for that matter), car's don't mean much. She'll probably find it hard to spend more money for a GX when she's "ok" with the 4Runner. It seems for most women (not to be sexist :P ) car's are just a means for getting around (as horrible as that idea seems lol)

It would be like your wife trying to get you to spend more money on "designer" clothes. :P

Let her spend the extra money on something she likes- i mean, the 4Runner is safe and reliable, it does the job for someone who doesn't like cars...

NC. I love my LEXUS...But I love driving my BMW. This thing is on rails. Just run a car fax if it is a clean car it is a clean car. They are expensive as hell if something goes up but pick up an extended warranty or buy cpo. Hell I bet you can find a CPO on a dealer lot, tell the dealer you don't want the CPO to remove it from the price of the car and get it darn near thrown in free. They will tell you how much time and money that they put in the car to CPO it, just keep telling them you aren't interested in their warranty and that you can buy better ones for far less money...they will keep the price coming down. One of the big things that got my 06 X5 down was that they had the same exact X5 on the lot that they could not CPO because it had missed a service. Well kept telling them that was the one I wanted...and the price I wanted. BMW would not give the .9% on it because it wasn't CPO...so I kept insisting that they sell me the CPO for the same price as the non CPO. Well got it there took about 5 days.

The other option in my thinking is to keep the GS for a lot longer. Originally purchased to be the "chicago" car, which was to be dumped upon our exit from the area in a couple of years, now with such low mileage being put on it, I could simply keep it with the thinking of not dumping it when we leave. It doesn't even have 60k miles on it, and when the glorious day comes for us to head back south, it'll probalby barely have 70k miles. I must admit, it's held up pretty well up here, especially given the fact that it's 8 years old now. The only sign of the winters is some rust on a metal strip along the underside of the rear spoiler, that's it. Oh, and the stabilizer bars look like hell. If I go the BMW route, it's pretty much a given that I'll have to replace it in a couple of years, which could erase the financial benefit of the plan. I'd have a higher payment on the GX in place, and looking to buy another car.

I think I'll just sit tight for a bit and see what unfolds, see how I manage with the GS over the winter. Oh, and just in case if you forgot how much I love chitcago (that "t" isn't a typo), it's going to freakin' SNOW this weekend!!! DAMN :chairshot: !Removed! :chairshot: DAMNIT TO :censored: :chairshot:

BMW, honestly, if you're starting with a high mileage one, and you are coming from Toyota/Lexus, you might have a bad experience with Bavarian Motor Works. BMWs at high mileage are costly. They don't last as long as Lexus and high repair bills usually result from them. I have an 09 528i now and I don't plan on keeping her after the lease is up. If I want a BMW after the lease is up, I will have to lease a new one again. <_<

GX470s are great! I agree with SW LOL :cheers: They have problems also, but not very major ones. Find one without the clunk (you know, you drive a 4Runner) and a GX470 will serve you until you get really sick of it because of high mileage and trying to kill it but it just won't die on you ;)

There might be specials on remaining 09 BMWs... There might be an 09 328i available at your local BMW dealership and give that one a try in terms of a test drive and some $$$ figures.

I've decided against this idea. After the weekend, having some time to sit still and think for a few minutes outside of the office, it just doesn't make sense to do this. I've got two very nice cars, that I know I can depend on, and cover all the bases for what I need out of a car. I just can't justify letting the GS go. Not with less then 60k miles, and only needs the normal routine maintenance of a brake job and a slight tune up from sitting for most of it's life. Age is it's enemy, not wear and tear. Who knows what i'd end up with in BMW'ville. My GS came to the market due to the current economic conditions, the previous owner couldn't afford it anymore. I doubt a high mileage BMW would have the same backstory to it. And if I decided that I didn't like it, and already had the more expensive GX in the garage (and on the books), i'd be worse off financially, because i'd have to replace the bmw with what I would assume would be a more expesive car, because I doubt I'd go back into the sub 10k$ again. So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Got no problems with my set up now, both mechanically, functionally, and financially. No need to change up the line up.

A very smart, consider-the-economics-first decision. Exactly what I thought you'd conclude after a few days of thinking about it. In this economy, why make any changes if what you have is working for you?

• 1 month later...

....well, after installing the new lower ball joints on my GS a couple of weekends ago, now I have a poping noise coming from the front when I put the car in reverse and turn the wheel (backing out of a parking space, for instance). Why do I have the feeling that ole' theory of "a new part shows the weaknesses of the old part" is starting to creep up again......

I'm not going through this again with Lexus, period. Not after I sunk thousands into my LS chasing this kind of crap. I like the GS, but by no means do I love it. I think the handling is horrible, the steering is floaty, and the overall feel of this "sport" sedan is nothing more then a shorter version of an LS. If this is the case, then I'm giving BMW a try. A solenoid here, window switch there, I can handle. But no more of this soft rubber suspension bushing hell. That ultra quiet, smooth ride comes at a price, one that I'm not willing to pay to maintain, again. Not for a car that I view as nothing more then just a "car". This might be my last used Lexus for a while, until I'm ready to score another LS, no older than 3 years with less then 40k miles.

I'm beginning to think in all honesty, that these ultra brands (Acura, Infinity, Lexus) of the mothership aren't really worth the premium. Not when my 80k mileage 4runner drives like brand new with needing nothing more then a normal brake job. Or a 04' Camry with 90k miles is smoother and nimbler then my 01' GS430 with 60k miles.

As I've gotten older and wiser, it has become increasingly difficult for me to justify purchasing ANY high-end vehicle. I certainly won't buy new (and haven't in more than 15 years), and I won't purchase a high-end, electronically-complex vehicle unless I can practically steal it (as I did with our 2005 Jaguar S-Type last December). The cost to maintain, insure, and keep in top condition becomes more than I'm willing to pay these days. That's one of the many reasons that I still love my 1999 Dodge Ram 5.9-liter V8 pickup - it is bulletproof and so inexpensive to fix on the rare occasions it requires something other than routine maintenance. So I hear you loud and clear, nc211....

By the way, the S-Type has proven to be a great car for us. A superb highway cruiser that approaches 33 mpg on my wife's solo trips back and forth to Tampa to visit her elderly parents, and a great all-around sport sedan for doing just about anything. Very elegant and refined, and very comfortable even for my 6-foot-7 frame. Bought it at just over 18,000 miles last December and she's more than doubled that mileage since we brought it home. I've researched the hell out of it and purchased the JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information Systems) maintenance CD (found it on ebay for less than $6) and done most of the work myself (especially since the factory warranty ran its course back in mid-July). I continue to hope that the extremely complex electronics don't eventually wind up biting me in the !Removed!....

Your GS is going on 9 years old...driven in Chicago...you're going to have worn suspension components...thats just a given. Has nothing to do with Lexus. Your 4Runner is made by the same company...and its much newer...and it was housed and driven mainly in a better climate with better roads. Just because the Lexus is a "Lexus" doesn't mean that its never going to need repairs or upgrades. This was why I suggested you spend some extra and buy the GS in NC before you left for Chicago. I bet had you done that you wouldn't be having this issue now.

My ES has 135k miles and the rear door lock and the front lower control arms and ball joints are all being replaced next week. Doesn't bother me...its 7 years old...enough mileage to have been around the world 5 times...its going to need repairs.

You sure are "uppity" lately...whats up?

I think the 4runner has held up so much better is because it's built for off road ruff n' tuff that make the normal potholes and such seem like childs play. Ever seen some of the photos on one of the 4runner forums that some of these guys do with their 4runners, truly amazing!

I'm disappointed with my GS for a few reasons. Granted, you're right that it is approaching 9 years of age, and has lived it's whole life in Chitcago. I can understand a ball joint prematurely wearing out up here, or a mount or two, or even a control arm or two. But, just about all of them? Maybe so, but dang if that doesn't bring back some frustrating memories of my former LS. I'm not saying the GS is a bad car, but after 8 months and only 3,000 miles (just hit 3k today), I can say that I really don't care for it. Had I gone from my LS to the GS, might be a different story. But after about 2 years of zoom zoom fun with the Mazda, I'm missing the "fun" aspect of getting behind the wheel. I find my GS, with the big V8, to be lumbersome, not peppy and zippy, and honestly, just flat out boring. Plus, the steering set up is horrible, a fact that SK (or SRK, I get them mixed up) can attest to as well.

Overall, I give my GS a grade of "C". Which when faced with the real possiblity of either having to spend another weekend busting loose rusty bolts to replace a control arm, or fork over a grand plu$ for someone else to do it, my little inner voice shouts "for what?" The car was maintained by a dealership. It's been driven a whopping 6,600 miles a year, average. And I'm facing suspension repairs already? I can understand your ES Steve, at 130k miles, those repairs are normal. I think the problem with the GS430 is that the V8 is too heavy on the front, and produces too much power which puts too much stress on the bushings. That car will rocket when asked. I remember driving a GS300, an 02 I think, that felt much nimbler and balanced.

Plus, when you're only driving a car about 450 miles a month, and payments are less than a fun weekend at Bernies, you kind of get the "itch" to trying something different. I certainly won't discount this fact with me. Although my gripes are valid, I certainly won't argue against the theory that I'm trying to talk myself into it too! :lol: And I'm doing a pretty darn good job of it too!

Sorry if I'm uppity lately. The stress level in my life jumped 3 fold with this move to Chicago, and my patience level has fallen 3 fold as well. I'm trying to calm down a bit, but someday I get a little sharp! Some things that I use to enjoy, now just annoy the hell out of me. Like garage time with the shop TV on football as I replace a heavy duty part on the car. My frame of mind these days is "if it doesn't work, then get it out of my way and give me something that does." I'm trying to fix this thinking and get back to my old ways, but not having much luck.

You need to convince the powers-that-be to let you move back here to the Triangle and run their East Coast operations from here. I have a feeling that your demeanor and quality of life would immediately jump five levels higher. And I'm sure your wife would be thrilled to be able to come back home and stay put....

Just think what your going to look like after 9 years in Chicago! I would give the GS a B+ considering!

And I thought they had a 80's Cadillac factory just south of Rosemont. Maybe you should get one of those and step into some real class low maintenance vehicles...lol!! Atleast the parts are cheap.

Maybe you should just have 2 4Runners? 1 really loaded and nice one, (for the wife of course), and the one you have.

Hahaha!! Good point Smooth, good point! Nothing that lasts 9 years up here is going to look good, including me! Ok, I'll consider the "curve" and give my GS a B. It just doesn't excite me like I thought it would. That's a very good point about another 4runner. Clearly the best car to have up here is an SUV. The further from the pavement, the better. I've thought about a 01-02 Sequoia with about 70k miles, and might give them a look. I have no fear with a Toyota V8 engine, at all, especially their 4.7. But, that nagging sense of curiousity still exists about a BMW. I've never driven one that I didn't love. And my wife feels the same way. We just feel that now is a good time to "play" with the second car, since not much is going to be demanded from it. I don't budget beyond $13k for it either. I shoot for asking prices in the $17k's, toss them the keys and a check for $13k all-in, and go about my day. Basically swapping the "potential" of my trade for the "potential" of their offering. Since I don't believe in "equity" of a depreciating asset, my focus is only on the $13k. Drive it for a year or so, balance is down to about $11k, and do it again. Payment stays the same throughout.

RX, believe me amigo, if we could, we'd be out of here faster than a !Removed! in a hurricane! But the economic "channels" are still blocked for such a move. Things are starting to wiggle loose a bit, but still got a long way to go. Honestly, I think it's either going to be DC or Atl for us. The level I play at now in the commercial real estate world, just isn't supported in RDU anymore. My average investment size is around $100MM, and I'm spoiled by it. We (the company) were there in the first place only as an "accomodation" to the most senior guy in the department. They went to him in 1995 (running the fields at the time from California) and said "we've got to return to the East Coast. The office is yours if you want it, where ever you want it." That became Chapel Hill, and he retired there with no plans to leave. No doubt Chitcago has taken, and is taking, it's toll on me a bit. But, sometimes you've just got to do what you've got to do. I know this is leading to a comfortable place for not only my wife and I to stand on for the rest of our lives, but more importantly, a foundation for our kid(s) to stand upon too when it comes time for them to start on their paths as providers too. That's my top priority, from here to the day my ticket get punched by the big guy. ;)

By the way, how's the market treating you these days? You "up" like its pace? I know you read all the financial stuff too. I'm reading some pretty scary articles these days about this whole up-swing possibly being a "bubble" fueled by the continuation of the low fed rate. Some pretty negative tones out there right now about this...

What about getting a good "deal" on a 4Runner or descent enouph "office transporter" that you know is reliable and a little later just getting a BMW as a weekend frolic machine? That way if it needs work or has some expensive parts that take a bit of saving up to get then it's no big deal. Also if the 4Runner goes to the shop for awhile it's always nice to have an extra car around. I know it's become a God send around my house. Having that 98 Nissan around came is sooooo handy more than a couple times.

I figured it had something to do with your move. Hang in there...

One thing I've learned is that buying things and making changes that I think will relieve some of my stress and make me happier doesn't...and when I do things and they don't help it just makes it worse. I've learned to sit back and relax and enjoy what I do have and its made me feel a whole lot happier in general.

I sympathize, its been really stressful this year for me too. I've actually had a really good year, but everything is 4 times as hard and as stressful as it was and I don't feel as well off as I actually am because of that.

Come on down to DC! I'll help you find that "power-home" that you won't be able to die to stop paying for and we can be miserable together! ;)

I've never been a huge fan of the GS personally so I see your point, but you're just going to be trading one headache for another...

I heard from the BMW forums that door handles and fog lamps STILL fall off current BMW models :huh: lol. I thought that was only an 01 BMW thing, but sadly still exists till now.

Get a clearance deal on whatever BMW model (car preferrably, BMW SUVs are no good at all because they're cheap quality and you dont get the real BMW experience) and have that as a weekend car someday. B)

Or how about a 5th Gen 4Runner ;) Those don't look too bad and they are really made for any type of terrain (even pot-hole filled streets)