Is The Gs450h A Popular Car?

Hey guys,

I've been wondering, is the GS450h a big lexus seller? I've never actually seen one on the road, which is odd since i spot Lexus' like a hawk.

And this section of the forum is for the RX GS and LS hybrids, and there haven't been many posts about the GS hybrid.

I really like the GS450h and was wondering if there's a reason they "appear" to be so un-popular...

I think for the same reason the Honda Accord Hybrid didn't sell well - not enough gain in MPGs for most people.

By the way, I see at least 20X more RX350s than I do RX400hs. Most people don't think long-term or they honestly feel that it would take too long to recoup the hybrid's extra cost. Statistically, I believe the average length of ownership is about 6 years.

Yes, and that presumes one buys a hybrid for some esoteric recoup rational. I say, "what's the recoup on that harley?" ... "what's the recoup on the '58 impalla" ... or the vette ... or (put your favorite here) ... etc. Point being there's lots of other reasons to go hybrid ... or pure EV. There ya go ... "what's the recoup on the Tesla"

:P

but to stay on topic ... if you think the 450h is seldome seen ... I've only seen one 600h in the wild. Now THAT's got to be low production.

GS450h owner checking in! I absolutely love my car. As "SOMEONE ELSE'S GOT MY NAME" says, I really didn't care about recoup. Enjoyed the extra power and handling of the 450h and I never regret my decision. I've seen maybe 15 450hs and I'm in a very affluent and educated part of the country. The rarity is actually part of the reason I went to the 450h, it is very individual and personal. I think the main reason is because people a)want more gas mileage, or B) are immediately scared of the tiny trunk. Whenever I show my car to friends they call me crazy, (though they LOVE the way it drives and the power is intoxicating).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe I've seen a single 450h yet. 350's outnumber 400h's by a wide margin but there are quite a few 400h's around here. With the hybrid, you get to use the HOV lanes during rush hour, that's the primary reason we bought ours.

We added a second hybrid to the stable. We traded an old '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the cash for clunkers program on a new Prius. Got 55 mpg on the 2nd tank of gas in the Prius.

I recall back in the 60s and 70s when disc brakes were starting to get popular. May people continued to buy all-drum models, preferring the "wait and see" attitude to the trendsetter attitude. I think we see the same type of reservation, today as many folks are fearful that hybrids will be a fad and hence be hard to sell.

While I understand the conservative nature of many luxury car buyers, I believe the days of $1.50/gallon gasolene are over.

Yes, RX350s are much more common, but so were drum brake vehicles in the late 60s and early 70s.

I don't think its that, I think its cost. People buy as many Priuses as they can build. They sell less RX450hs that RX350s the same way they sell less GS460s than GS350s. Its more expensive.

• 1 month later...

I'm kinda glad they're rare...makes it more special, and i hope it helps with the resale value too. I live in Toronto and other than mine, i have yet to see a GS450H on the road. I have a pretty rare colour too, crystalline ice and it draws alot of positive attention. So yeah, it's rare and i'm glad!

I was considering the gs450h and test drove one and even made an offer for one but I'm glad I bought the RX400H instead. The boot was just too small!!. I made a comment to the owner that there was no way you could fit one standard size travel luggage in the boot and he agreed. he said he used the backseat for bigger items and I go Hmmmmmm...

Don't get me wrong, the gs450h is more updated than the pre-2010 rx400h with its keyless entry and start, more comfy seats, 3.5l motor etc... but being a one car family, it's not practical for us.