Smashed The Back Of The Ls

killerFatty

if you count insurance money, I'm into my car $8500, yikes I just relized that.

all the sudden i feel really good about being into my 94 for $4700...lol...

listen, kid, slow down. you dont know me, but if you did, you'd listen. i've been there and done that have the t-shirt the police report and the time spent waiting outside emergency rooms to prove it. i'm only 11 years older than you, and what you said about learning more in the last year than in all other years combined, it's probably true, but what you'll learn in the next 5 years will have you looking back wondering how you survived those years being so uneducated about life, and hopefully if you make it to 27 you'll be somewhat humbled like me, understanding that even then, you still know very little, and what you have to learn will always dwarf what you already know.

dont take your guns to town son, leave your guns at home bill....dont take your guns to town- johnny cash

(btw i'll make you an offer on your car, i could use a parts car, which is what you now have)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea... If I were in your position I'd cut my losses and just pick up another one. You can find really nice LSs for a reasonable price, just taking a quick look at autotrader.com I found a '96 with only 96k miles (haha a 96 w/ 96k miles) for around $6k but I'm sure you can talk anybody down on price. Then you could probably recover some of that by selling the parts from your current LS.

Ouch! I didn't know they had airbags in the trunk either! :lol:

KF, even if you did have collison coverage, the insurance company would total this one out too, because the cost to fix it would easily exceed 50% of today's general market value for the car.

Even if you did fix the cosmetic damage, the mechanical will probably haunt you for a few thousand dollars more. That's just not a shot to the sheet metal, but a shot on that back corner piece of the frame that most likely jolted through the entire car. You've probably got some weakened, if not broken, mounts and such. I'd be willing to bet that back wheel has some control arm, half shaft, and possibly differential damage hidden now too. It's almost better to take a hit on the front of a rear-wheeled drive car, and vice versa.

Sorry man! Oddly enough, more first cars end up like this than not. That's why most 16 year olds get the family hand-me-downs or older cheaper cars to start out with, because at point, odds are, it's going to get damaged during your learning curve behind the wheel. Good thing here is that your folks allowed you to get a big and heavy cruiser that can take a hit. Can you imagine what a hit with this kind of force would have done to a civic or VW Golf? You might have been hurt!

Even if the damage was half that it'd be a total, Lexus parts aren't cheap and quarter panel labor is murder. Part it out, make a few bucks, buy a cheaper car so that next time you crash it you're not out so much money. Because as you've proven, you will wreck again.

don't let them talk ya down killer fatty, we all mess up at one time or another in our life. just let this be a lesson to you, move on and just be a really defensive driver. that's what my mom has told me since ive been driving, and believe you me, i almost got killed by some *BLEEP*er running a light at 100mph (and he was going a hundred it was like a flash) and they woulda smashed right into my driver side door and i probably wouldnt have lived. i smashed the brakes as i saw the car coming outta the corner of my eye, and was wishing right then and there (the only time i ever have) i was a police officer.

Miracle!! I secured all the parts I need, trunk 1/4 panel bumper assembly exhaust etc. all for $300 off another '93. I am friends with a body guy that has a frame machine and he is going to take a look at it tomorrow. If the labor is more than $2000 I'll consider something else, but we wont know till tomorrow. The car still rides the same, and no fluids of any kind are leaking. I might just keep it the way it is and drive it if I absolutly have too.

hey killer, def. got hit hard a good bodyman could fix the rear quarter for you...do you have a tecnical high school near you ?? the bodyshop could do the work for free and you just pay for the parts!!!...as for the rear bumper you can buy a body kit for it and get front & rear bumpers and side skirts body-kits.com got them for as cheap as $500.00...you got to paint it anyway...might as well do it right from here! Even if you have to drive it primered for a while til you save up $$$...

Miracle!! I secured all the parts I need, trunk 1/4 panel bumper assembly exhaust etc. all for $300 off another '93. I am friends with a body guy that has a frame machine and he is going to take a look at it tomorrow. If the labor is more than $2000 I'll consider something else, but we wont know till tomorrow. The car still rides the same, and no fluids of any kind are leaking. I might just keep it the way it is and drive it if I absolutly have too.

Dude, you can't do that. It's not street legal to drive like that! Your taillights and turn signals are destroyed!

If you drive it around like that, chances are you'll end up in another accident! I think you should enter it into a demolition derby.

You know what Killer...fix that car and show everyone that a big dent and a broken light doesn't mean you junk a car!!! If you love your Lexus then fix her up and work out a deal with the people who you need to fix the things you can't!!! EVERYTHING is fixable...you may have to pay for it....but hey your only 16 years old...work the labor off at the body shop!!! True car lovers will help each other out...not talk sh*t about how you could afford a Lexus or even how you should drive your Lexus....but offer you help and connectections to help put your baby back together again!!!

I pretty much have all the parts, and believe it or not all the lights still work. Just the right side lenses are broke. All bulbs still intact. Thanks for the tip randy I'll call my local high school body shop buddies. BTW I don't plan on driving it anywhere I don't have to. I, like you said amcdonal, don't want to be in another accident.

Hey folks those of us who are a little gray around the temple area should pause for a moment and remember some of the shenanigans we pulled as kids. I must admit though I never had a car as nice as his when I was his age. Fact of the matter is I didn't have a car at all! However, when I bought my first car with my own money, boy oh boy did I try and make up for lost time. After countless trips to traffic court my parents dropped me from there insurance policy (after they were threatened by their insurance company with cancellation). Not to be dissuaded I continued to drive with my foot right smack in the middle of the 406 tri-power Ford I was running, up until the point I was hauled in once again and the local judge got out of bed to come hold court at 11:30 PM. I was given the choice of 30 days in jail or 90 days without a license, which at that young age was tantamount to solitary confinement in not being able to act like the typical teenage idiot dragging main. Yes we used to drag main back then. Anyhow after a short period of time I worked out a deal with the president of the local draft board and the judge and after showing him my draft papers I was given my license back. Wound up serving over 20 years and retired from the Army and did a lot of growing up in a very short time. My point I guess, is that we all go through this in one fashion or another. Young man, heed some well given advice from some of these kind folks who post here. Like you I made light of things and also like you it was always someone else's fault. Take heed and pay attention to some of the solid advice that has been proferred here. We would much rather have you alive and able to post here than lying out along the road somewhere or perhaps someone else as well. Before you know it you'll be my age, but only if you take just a moment and reflect on your actions. Sorry to hear about your car and I wish you well. Brett

Thanks, I am taking my car to the body guy I know after school today. He already told me that unless the car is smashed all the way past the A-piller, which its not, he can usually repair the 1/4 panel. He also said that it would save a lot of lbor if he dosn't have to. I post more info afterwords.

Hi KF,

When you get the deck lid open I would like to see some pictures of the floor and right frame rail, top and bottom if you can. I want to see what your bodyman friend has ahead of him.

If he fixes it, I want to see after pictures also. I know it's hurt, just curious.

There is no way I would let some high school kids try to fix this. This is professional stuff only.

Jerry

Agreed. No one said it couldn't be repaired, but for the amount of time, effort, money, it's pointless. A competent body man would want a serious favor to even begin pulling that thing straight, and you'd need to owe him for life afterwards. Anyone else is just going to a horrible job.

Anything can be fixed given enough time, money, parts and labor. It's up to the one dishing out the money to decide whether it is worth it or not.

I have fixed cars in much worse shape than KF's LS.

Back in late 1984 I had to repair a brand new 1985 Audi 5000 that was T-Boned in the side. It was the biggest job I ever had with 160 labors hours just for bodywork. Not painting also, just bodywork. The paint was probably another 25-30 hours labor.

When I set the car up on the Blackhawk Bench alignment system there were 21-24 alignment points for this car. Only 3 of them fit. This car was a mess. I worked on this car a solid 2 weeks.

This car was so new they weren't even making some of the replacement parts yet. We ordered the Lt RR door inner trim panel and they said they would not be making them until February of 1985. So when the car was finished, the man left with his old broken trim panel.

About mid-February we got the part in and it was stamped "Feb 3, 1985" on the back of the trim panel.

One time I even had to change a firewall on a BMW. When brand new expensive cars get hit hard, they just don't total out.

One time I had a brand new Honda Accord hit hard in the rear. I had everything cut off of the rear of the car except the Lt RR frame rail which I repaired. The rear panel was gone, both 1/4's were gone, the rt inner and outer wheel housings were gone, the packing shelf was gone, even the floor was gone all the way up to the back of the front seats. I was holding up the roof with a pole.

The customer came in to look at her car and she just broke down and cried. :(

JP

It's goin to the frame shop tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully the 1/4 panel can be saved. The trunk floor was pretty well crunched up I'll try to post pics tomorrow. I just pulled the trunk lid and bumper off the donor LS. Man those bumpers are a pain to get off.

So do you have a quote? Why are you acquiring parts and having work done blindly without having any sort of plan? This is a great way to waste tons of money that you probably don't have.

Anything can be fixed given enough time, money, parts and labor. It's up to the one dishing out the money to decide whether it is worth it or not.

Back in late 1984 I had to repair a brand new 1985 Audi 5000 that was T-Boned in the side. It was the biggest job I ever had with 160 labors hours just for bodywork. Not painting also, just bodywork. The paint was probably another 25-30 hours labor.

When I set the car up on the Blackhawk Bench alignment system there were 21-24 alignment points for this car. Only 3 of them fit. This car was a mess. I worked on this car a solid 2 weeks.

This car was so new they weren't even making some of the replacement parts yet. We ordered the Lt RR door inner trim panel and they said they would not be making them until February of 1985. So when the car was finished, the man left with his old broken trim panel.

About mid-February we got the part in and it was stamped "Feb 3, 1985" on the back of the trim panel.

One time I even had to change a firewall on a BMW. When brand new expensive cars get hit hard, they just don't total out.

One time I had a brand new Honda Accord hit hard in the rear. I had everything cut off of the rear of the car except the Lt RR frame rail which I repaired. The rear panel was gone, both 1/4's were gone, the rt inner and outer wheel housings were gone, the packing shelf was gone, even the floor was gone all the way up to the back of the front seats. I was holding up the roof with a pole.

JP

True, and I've seen cars like that fixed a lot, but it was because they were new and the insurance wasn't ready to write it off yet. I wouldn't want a car that had that much work done, no matter how skilled the repairman is, and I certainly wouldn't keep a nearly 20yr old car that would require that kind of work. The repairs on this car are easily double what it's even worth. If some guy is going to do favors and cut cost, cool, but cutting cost also means cutting corners.

Wow, sounds like you know your bodywork. I have some rust repair (caused from leaky windows that the early 70s GM cars were known for!) that I need you to conduct on my 72 Chevy wagon I am restoring. :) lol. Seriously, its not bad, but I know nothing about these things. Nothing new though. lol.

JP

Yes, I fixed many of those rusted out GM back windows. It took them about ten years to figure out if it holds water it's going to rust. I think it was 1977 when they finally came out with the new Impala that water from the back glass drains down the trunk channels.

Vinyl roofs were another rust problem. Very seldom if ever do you see new cars with vinyl roofs anymore.

It seems to me that engineering cars is a lot of trial and error. There are some things you do not think about until the car starts to age.

The chevy VEGA was probably one of the wort cars GM ever built. Very seldom do you ever see a chevy Vega anymore. They have all rusted away. Though they did make a good place for fish to spawn if you threw them in a lake.

But the absolutely worst car ever was a YUGO. These cars were terrible. I was working at a dealership that sold them and these cars were junk. You would roll up the window and the handle would break off in your hand.

They paid their factory workers about a dollar an hour to build them but warranty at the time was about $35.00-$50.00 an hour. YUGO went broke fixing their cars under warranty.

It was so bad, I heard a dealer in Houston had about 20-25 units left and he put them into a warehouse and refused to sell them because he was getting such a bad reputation from the troubles they were having.

JP

But the absolutely worst car ever was a YUGO. These cars were terrible. I was working at a dealership that sold them and these cars were junk. You would roll up the window and the handle would break off in your hand.

JP

YUGO was bad, but LADA was badder! Don't know if you had them in the States. In Canada, these Russian cars started rusting even before the roads were salted for the winter. In the spring you'd see all the patchwork owners were doing to stop the spread (futile). In the parking lot at the studio, there was this one guy who was constantly trying to repair the corrosion that was in the cheap metal from day one. Every 3 or 4 months you would see some fresh paint in the problem areas. Resprayed the whole car twice in 2 years until he realized it was a losing battle and just let it rust. In 6 mths the rust took over almost the whole car. Finally got rid of it and what did he buy ... a Pinto! :chairshot:

lol. Well as a owner of two early 70s GM cars and many in the past and a fan of these, I know. Thankfully I have not had to deal with that on any of mine except this 72 wagon. It has the "clamshell" gate and that weather seal has leaked, as have the cargo area windows and it has rusted out the spare tire area and the mounts that hold the 3rd seat in place. :rolleyes: My moms cousin owns a body shop and I am gonna get him to fix it for me. Other than that, the floors are solid as rock (but the windshield also leaks now, so I keep it undercover). The rear window was resealed on the 73 Pontiac and no other leaks so far and its as solid as a rock, but these are southeast cars, so not exposed to salt - but speaking of vinyl tops, this car has one and its starting to bubble up underneath, despite the top not that old.... I have gotta rip it off and repair I guess. I had a 72 Buick Electra that was 100% rust free, but the back window had started leaking and I had to have it resealed. <_< Dang, I miss that car!

Yes, I fixed many of those rusted out GM back windows. It took them about ten years to figure out if it holds water it's going to rust. I think it was 1977 when they finally came out with the new Impala that water from the back glass drains down the trunk channels.

Vinyl roofs were another rust problem. Very seldom if ever do you see new cars with vinyl roofs anymore.

It seems to me that engineering cars is a lot of trial and error. There are some things you do not think about until the car starts to age.

The chevy VEGA was probably one of the wort cars GM ever built. Very seldom do you ever see a chevy Vega anymore. They have all rusted away. Though they did make a good place for fish to spawn if you threw them in a lake.

They paid their factory workers about a dollar an hour to build them but warranty at the time was about $35.00-$50.00 an hour. YUGO went broke fixing their cars under warranty.

It was so bad, I heard a dealer in Houston had about 20-25 units left and he put them into a warehouse and refused to sell them because he was getting such a bad reputation from the troubles they were having.

JP