Should I Be Able To Squeal Tires On 92 Ls400

KEMMER

All I get is a 2 second chirp. This car has great power for 257 k's but I was wondering if I should be getting full wheel spin for like 4 seconds or so. Do you think brand new that it would have had a lot more spin? I just bought the car and am new to this forum. I'm in love with this car already. My nakamichi stereo system is amazing.

Any thoughts?

^_^

Why would you be wanting to squeel the tyres?

The LS400 is built for comfort and safety not drag racing, squeeling tyres means you are losing tyre grip, this on a 250BHP rear wheel drive car with no traction control is no fun.

BTW do you get free tyres?

Buy cheap skinny tires with poorer traction if you feel you have to spin them. All spinning tires do is wear them out.

The LS400 I bought new in 1990 could spin its tires because it came with 205/65-15 Eagle GA tires that had extremely poor traction. The tires were so bad a group of LS400 owners initiated a class action suit and, if I remember correctly, I received a settlement check for $200 to use towards the purchase of replacement tires.

Wait a few months until you have some snow and ice on the roads and you will be able to spin your tires all you want.

If you are in an area of Canada that gets much snow -- and where in Canada doesn't -- get an extra set of wheels and some winter tires with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall. As I found in driving one through 13 winters, the gen 1 LS400 isn't a very good snow car without snow tires. I've use winter tires on my 2000 LS400 too -- Bridgestone Blizzaks on extra wheels.

Why would you be wanting to squeel the tyres?

The LS400 is built for comfort and safety not drag racing, squeeling tyres means you are losing tyre grip, this on a 250BHP rear wheel drive car with no traction control is no fun.

BTW do you get free tyres?

I"m just trying to determine how strong the engine is on this ls400, and if I knew how much burnout power it had new, I could gauge the compression a bit better and engine wear. I was just a little confused with it being rear wheel drive with 200+ HP and lighter in the rear, I figured I should have a lot more ability to spin my wheels.

Buy cheap skinny tires with poorer traction if you feel you have to spin them. All spinning tires do is wear them out.

The LS400 I bought new in 1990 could spin its tires because it came with 205/65-15 Eagle GA tires that had extremely poor traction. The tires were so bad a group of LS400 owners initiated a class action suit and, if I remember correctly, I received a settlement check for $200 to use towards the purchase of replacement tires.

Wait a few months until you have some snow and ice on the roads and you will be able to spin your tires all you want.

If you are in an area of Canada that gets much snow -- and where in Canada doesn't -- get an extra set of wheels and some winter tires with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall. As I found in driving one through 13 winters, the gen 1 LS400 isn't a very good snow car without snow tires. I've use winter tires on my 2000 LS400 too -- Bridgestone Blizzaks on extra wheels.

Thanks for the info, I hope to move Back to British Columbia soon and They have short winters there especially in Osoyoos, the only desert in Canada.

Thanks for the info, I hope to move Back to British Columbia soon and They have short winters there especially in Osoyoos, the only desert in Canada.

I still want to know if I would be able to get a lot mor spin when the car was new or if this is normal. :D

You might want to research the 0 - 60 times back in the early 90's.....but I don't think a stock 250 HP RWD flagship with close to a 4,000lb curb weight was ever a tire smoker.

:cheers:

I still want to know if I would be able to get a lot mor spin when the car was new or if this is normal. :D
In my LS experience, my cars' ability to chirp the tires is related to how old the tires are. I used to be able to make my '99 chirp the tire for bit with VSC turned off, but after I put new tires on, I can't make the tire chirp any more. It sounds like your car is performing just fine, and considering the low km's on your car, it's still got a lot of life left!

The car has a tall final drive ratio, and a very low stall torque converter. Both contribute to the fact that the engine can't overpower the rear tires in a straight line. However, with the traction control off, punching it while turning left or right from a stop will light the inside tire briefly on my 92 LS. Makes far too much noise for a luxury car though.

My GS, with 300hp, and a short first gear, will light both tires from a stop, with the TC off.

The car has a tall final drive ratio, and a very low stall torque converter. Both contribute to the fact that the engine can't overpower the rear tires in a straight line. However, with the traction control off, punching it while turning left or right from a stop will light the inside tire briefly on my 92 LS. Makes far too much noise for a luxury car though.

My GS, with 300hp, and a short first gear, will light both tires from a stop, with the TC off.

Thanks you guys for the info, I now know that my compression is normal and I passed my emissions test today with flying colors. :D

Thanks for the info that really helps.

When I punch it in a straight line with the ect power button on, I get a small chirp so I`m happy with that. I didn`t realise the drive ratio and stall converter were sufficient enough to keep the car from lighting em up. :D

I never could get my 95' to spin the tires on dry pavement, going straight, either. The rear end would sit down too much on the tires, and it had new struts! I could though if it had rained, but as easily as one would of thought.

The GS, like SRK's, has the 4.3 engine with 300hp/325lb, and it's very capable to spin the tires on dry pavement. I need the traction control in that car when it's raining, otherwise I just spin spin spin with anything over a 20% initial throttle. It's got Goodyear GT3's on it, in good condition too. I can tell this car's going to be a !Removed! to deal with come winter time, even with "snow" setting on.

I think the squatting of the butt of the LS and the downforce associated with it, hamper the "burn out" factor, as does what SRK is saying as well.

You might want to research the 0 - 60 times back in the early 90's.....but I don't think a stock 250 HP RWD flagship with close to a 4,000lb curb weight was ever a tire smoker.

:cheers:

Thanks, I did check those times and I figured that most of the 4000 pounds would be in the front of the car. So I thought the rear would light up easier, but after reading the other posts I realise now that there are components in place to keep it from spinning its wheels as well. :cheers:

In my LS experience, my cars' ability to chirp the tires is related to how old the tires are. I used to be able to make my '99 chirp the tire for bit with VSC turned off, but after I put new tires on, I can't make the tire chirp any more. It sounds like your car is performing just fine, and considering the low km's on your car, it's still got a lot of life left!

It sounds like your car is performing just fine, and considering the low km's on your car, it's still got a lot of life left!

Awesome thing to hear, thanks. :D :snoooorrrtttt:

WELL..... I have owned 6 LS's, but have never even thought about burning off in one of them...

25 years ago when I was 50..... probably would have tried, but they were not around then..

and I am glad,

I bought a 1955 Olds 88 brand new, got two speeding tickets (over 100) taking it home..

wore it out in a year....

only photo of it

the baby in that photo is now my 54 year old son

post-5365-1250031230_thumb.jpg

Wow! I bet you wish you could get your hands on that 88 again! I'm 35, and starting to notice my attention is turning more and more towards the older, classic cars, then new ones. My dad still has is 73' Caddy, with something like 14k original miles on it, stored outside of Tulsa in the Grande Lake area. I keep begging him to not sell it, as I will take it off his hands one day... Just need a place to park a 21 foot, true land yatch! It's all original, and "cherry" in every way, except for the exhaust, which he had glass packs put on a few years ago to enhance that 9 mpg 8 liter V8 monster that lurks under the hood. I call it "the boner maker". :D

I never could get my 95' to spin the tires on dry pavement, going straight, either. The rear end would sit down too much on the tires, and it had new struts! I could though if it had rained, but as easily as one would of thought.

The GS, like SRK's, has the 4.3 engine with 300hp/325lb, and it's very capable to spin the tires on dry pavement. I need the traction control in that car when it's raining, otherwise I just spin spin spin with anything over a 20% initial throttle. It's got Goodyear GT3's on it, in good condition too. I can tell this car's going to be a !Removed! to deal with come winter time, even with "snow" setting on.

I think the squatting of the butt of the LS and the downforce associated with it, hamper the "burn out" factor, as does what SRK is saying as well.

That's my next worry. Winter is just around the corner and I've fishtaled once in the rain already by accident. Oh well, I guess I'll have to avoid snowy hills and icy areas, Which is going to be next to impossible with Ontario winters. Maybe I'll find some old studded tires somewhere. Are chains even a conceivable option, I hope it doesn't come to that. :huh:

WELL..... I have owned 6 LS's, but have never even thought about burning off in one of them...

25 years ago when I was 50..... probably would have tried, but they were not around then..

and I am glad,

I bought a 1955 Olds 88 brand new, got two speeding tickets (over 100) taking it home..

only photo of it

GOOD OLE DAYS HUH? :D hopefully i can't wear out my 92 ls. :rolleyes:

and I am glad,

only photo of it

GOOD OLE DAYS HUH? :D hopefully i can't wear out my 92 ls. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you cant, they are built MUCH better than Detroit cars were in 1955

nc211 here is a nice one out in Oregon..

post-5365-1250111565_thumb.jpg