My First Lexus Experience

I've been doing my homework for weeks now to make sure I'd be happy with my first Lexus. I've owned BMW's & Porsches but never a Lexus. I needed something small & classy that had good gas millage for my trips back and forth from Orlando to Tampa. The IS250 seemed perfect. I emailed the internet department at Lexus of Orlando and received a fast reply from their internet man. He had me working with Ana in their sales dept. We went back and forth in emails finding the right vehicle. In the end we were $1,500 away from each other on price. I knew we could both budge a little and pin this down.

BTW~ it was an IS250 with the premium package, black on black. Not AWD and no Nav. I was doing a trade in worth $3,500 and asking for 28K out the door. They were offering $29,500 OTD including my trade.

Last evening I get a call at work from Ana in their sales department. "Look, I know we're close and we both want to do this deal. It's the last day of the month so if there's ever a time to do this it's today. Come on down. With your Cash for Clunkers trade at $3,500 I will get well under what we've offered and extremely close to 28k. I know we can do this." I agreed to leave work early and head across town to see her so we set an appointment time for 6:00.

I arrive at 6:00 to discover Ana is not available but they are putting me in the good hands of salesman Dan Webber. Let me show you what type of sales treatment I was given;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-SK1-iILlY

In fact let's call Dan "Badger" from now on because after all the abuse I took I believe it truly fits him. Anyway, Badger come in and says, "So tell me what you're looking for in a car." I politely decline and ask him to either bring Ana who I've already worked through every detail with, or her paperwork that clearly shows exactly what I'm looking for. He acts as if I never said a word. Please keep in mind I'm not a young kid. I'm a 45 year old executive director for a large corporation, dressed nice & well spoken. Badger however thinks I'm a stupid 9 year old and treats me as such. He asks again what I'm wanting in a vehicle, "is it quality and reliability?" I open my folder and hand him the printout showing the exact car, what they offered, what I offered. He starts telling me how they are selling so many cars he isn't sure if he'll be able to get me the car I want, but he'll try. I pull out a paper showing him what date the exact car I'm looking for will arrive on his lot. He ignores me. He starts in on how the car I want is in tremendous demand right now. I ask him to stop the sales pitch and let's just look at the deal I was offered, what I need them to come down to, and that I have my car here for the Cash for Clunkers trade so let's finish this. Badger leans back and starts in on the Cash for Clunkers program problems and how they will eventually run out of money so we really can't go by that program. I pull out the report showing how much longer the program is guaranteed for which clearly puts us in a safe position to make a deal that evening. He then tells me they aren't signed up for the Cash for Clunkers CARS program because it's such a bad program. BIG RED FLAG, as if Badger himself wasn't a big enough one. Last time I was in Lexus of Orlando (one week ago) they took all my vehicle information, went through the data base and approved my vehicle through the program and gave me an exact amount of $3,500 that they would be able to give me through this program. Now suddenly they've never signed up to be in the program?

I ask him to stop messing around. I have a price and that's what I need to make the deal. I don't care what program he uses, I have the vehicle here and I want 3,500 for it. He says he will be right back. He comes back with a print out loaded with info. Bottom line is he is offering me the car at $200 MORE than what Ana had offered before she said she could get me close to 28k. We're now at $29,700. I should have asked for another salesperson, but seeing his name tag said Sales Manager it didn't seem worth it. Turns out by the way that he is just a regular salesman. I guess that's just another trick Lexus of Orlando uses to fool customers.

Anyway I laugh and say that's not going to happen. He says "Ok, it was good meeting you." shakes my hand and walks away. Gee... I wonder what will happen next Mr. Badger?

30 seconds later he walks back and says, "Are you crazy? Why in the world would you walk away from an incredible deal like that?" Now he's standing over me trying to intimidate me. I've had enough. I reply, "It's not an amazing deal and I'm tired of these sleazy games. I left work early and drove all the way across town because I was promised you would come close to my price. Instead you play games and offer me an even higher price than a week ago. This is truly unethical and I expected better from a Lexus dealership. His reply...wait...what would you expect Mr. Badger to say?..."Well the offer's only good until 7:00 and then it's off the table." I shake my head and walk away. What a joke this guys is.

They lost a sale, lost any chance of having me or my family as future customers, and abused someone who spends his life speaking to hundreds and hundreds of executives a month.

Lexus can keep their car. I'll never be back.

Sorry to hear they treated you like that and ruined the Lexus name for you. But I guess every dealer is different and most are probably like the one you experienced. I didn’t have a problem at Sterling McCall here in Houston. But there are 3 others in Houston besides the one I go to. They have internet sales. I don’t know how all that works because I went in person but maybe you can buy from a different dealership and they can ship it to you? It’s worth a try getting the price you want.

Sorry to hear they treated you like that and ruined the Lexus name for you. But I guess every dealer is different and most are probably like the one you experienced. I didn’t have a problem at Sterling McCall here in Houston. But there are 3 others in Houston besides the one I go to. They have internet sales. I don’t know how all that works because I went in person but maybe you can buy from a different dealership and they can ship it to you? It’s worth a try getting the price you want.

I'm actually thinking about contacting the dealer in NC from that hilarious youtube link I posted. They say they have non badger dealers here in Fl, but I haven't been able to find any. Probably same name, different product. But hey, if they can give me a good price and not waste my time then I'm game. Honestly, the only thing worse than lying to me is wasting my time. That's the part I was really steamed over. Well...that and being treated like a fool.

You're fine. I hope you can find a dealer to work with you and get you the price you want. I love buying a new car but on the other hand dealing with the sales people and their games make it hardly worth the fun. So I take a more laid back approach to keep me from getting stressed out. Just to make it quicker, I pay sticker. They are usually shocked that I do not want to haggle with them as if they enjoy it. Then usually they will go ahead and knock off the price some for me. But in the end no matter how good of a deal you get. You always feel they rip you off.

You're fine. I hope you can find a dealer to work with you and get you the price you want. I love buying a new car but on the other hand dealing with the sales people and their games make it hardly worth the fun. So I take a more laid back approach to keep me from getting stressed out. Just to make it quicker, I pay sticker. They are usually shocked that I do not want to haggle with them as if they enjoy it. Then usually they will go ahead and knock off the price some for me. But in the end no matter how good of a deal you get. You always feel they rip you off.

I can't say I've ever felt like that. Until now every car experience I've had I walked away feeling great about. The last two were done 100% on line. Brand new, 5k under invoice, fair trade value, they faxed me the papers I'd be signing. I showed up tossed them my keys, they tossed me their keys, I saw the papers matched, signed, thanked them and left. I swear I wasn't there more than 15 minutes, and only that long because they wanted a picture of us with the car for their wall. Guess who I called the second I was ready to buy a new car! Too bad they didn't carry the model I wanted, but I'll call them again next time too.

The truth is, customers are flooding in right now due to this CARS offer. That will end very soon and showrooms will be empty once again. If a dealer is unethical or treats someone poorly now there's no chance in the world they will get that business when they need it the most. Plus they will lose business from anyone that person talks to. Buying a car should be a great experience.

I can't say I've ever felt like that. Until now every car experience I've had I walked away feeling great about. The last two were done 100% on line. Brand new, 5k under invoice, fair trade value, they faxed me the papers I'd be signing. I showed up tossed them my keys, they tossed me their keys, I saw the papers matched, signed, thanked them and left. I swear I wasn't there more than 15 minutes, and only that long because they wanted a picture of us with the car for their wall. Guess who I called the second I was ready to buy a new car! Too bad they didn't carry the model I wanted, but I'll call them again next time too.

The truth is, customers are flooding in right now due to this CARS offer. That will end very soon and showrooms will be empty once again. If a dealer is unethical or treats someone poorly now there's no chance in the world they will get that business when they need it the most. Plus they will lose business from anyone that person talks to. Buying a car should be a great experience.

You are correct. I think the Badger thought he could raise the price and think you would freak and rush to still buy it by trying to tell you the cash for clunkers doesn't apply or will be over soon. Trying to make you think getting $3500 for your trade will soon be gone. Which was wrong of him. And by the way, that video was awesome.

Badger is Badger and Lexus is Lexus. There is a whole spectrum in between. My dealer treats me like family.

This is the truth. There are sh__ty salesmen at every make. I'd let the GM know about it. Maybe the attitude comes top down, but if not, and the GM doesn't ever know about it, it will not be fixed. I'd think in Orlando you could take the price you were previously given, and shop it to another dealer. OR--call Ana, and give her an earful on this asshat she handed you off to, and tell her that he lost Ana a sale.

Badger is Badger and Lexus is Lexus. There is a whole spectrum in between. My dealer treats me like family.

That's good to hear because I was really expecting more from this dealer. Now, how about an update. I received a call today from the original sales person Ana. She was checking to see how things went. Honestly, I could tell she already knew, but hey she was trying. She apologized profusely and promised that if I would come see her she would make sure I got the deal we spoke about.

Now what? I'm just about ready to buy this other car and suddenly she pops back up. At this point I'm not sure if I can get myself to go back in to that dealership. If I buy from them what's to say I won't get rotten treatment when it comes to service? It's amazing how one person can ruin so much.

And truthfully, what's to say they aren't going to just run me around again?

This is the truth. There are sh__ty salesmen at every make. I'd let the GM know about it. Maybe the attitude comes top down, but if not, and the GM doesn't ever know about it, it will not be fixed. I'd think in Orlando you could take the price you were previously given, and shop it to another dealer. OR--call Ana, and give her an earful on this asshat she handed you off to, and tell her that he lost Ana a sale.

I say F*** the GM and Ana... go straight to Lexus corporate and lay your story out for them. I'd bet that they'll be willing to bend over backward to resolve this for you. They have a high end marque and a reputation that should not be represented like a second hand used car dealer, especially in the state of our current economy.

Like bartkat, the dealer I visit is completely professional, works hard to meet all my needs, and makes me feel welcome each and every time I am there.

I say F*** the GM and Ana... go straight to Lexus corporate and lay your story out for them. I'd bet that they'll be willing to bend over backward to resolve this for you. They have a high end marque and a reputation that should not be represented like a second hand used car dealer, especially in the state of our current economy.

Like bartkat, the dealer I visit is completely professional, works hard to meet all my needs, and makes me feel welcome each and every time I am there.

You know I think you're right. I sent Ana an email asking her to verify they were taking the trade at 3,500. I got nothing back. Looks like her phone call was nothing more than another attempt to get me in the doors for another BS run.

Go somewhere else. I could have gone to the big dealer in Birmingham or the smaller one in Huntsville. Maybe a better price in B'ham but there's more to owning a car than initial price. Whatever your priorities are, just make your choice. I would have walked on that dealership too and I wouldn't be returning their calls.

I'm from Orlando also. And I pretty much went thru the same issues at Lexus of Orlando. I hate the sales department of Lexus of Orlando.

I've also heard that Lexus of Melbourne is pretty sharky also. I ended up buying mine from Lexus of Tampa. And I got a better deal there also.

That's good to hear because I was really expecting more from this dealer. Now, how about an update. I received a call today from the original sales person Ana. She was checking to see how things went. Honestly, I could tell she already knew, but hey she was trying. She apologized profusely and promised that if I would come see her she would make sure I got the deal we spoke about.

Now what? I'm just about ready to buy this other car and suddenly she pops back up. At this point I'm not sure if I can get myself to go back in to that dealership. If I buy from them what's to say I won't get rotten treatment when it comes to service? It's amazing how one person can ruin so much.

And truthfully, what's to say they aren't going to just run me around again?

Get the best deal for YOU--don't go somewhere else and pay more "on principle". Take it somewhere else for service, if you need to.

How awful! People like that give everyone in the sales profession a bad name.

I would however hear Ana out probably. I would level with her and tell her that you were so personally insulted by how this hack treated you that you don't know if you even want the Lexus anymore, and you don't know if you can even bring yourself to walk into her dealership again even if it means paying more somewhere else.

I would demand the offer faxed to you in writing and a signed guarantee from her and her GM that you will be arriving at the dealer only to sign the papers, that no further negotiation will take place, and that they will keep the first hack away from you.

If they won't do that in light of what happened they aren't for real...

I got your email also, not to worry your post is just fine in here...

With as many dealers out there today there is no reason to put up with poor customer service like this. You seem to be a reasonable man and Ana was dealing with you in a reasonable way but Badger behaved like a total !Removed! and you had every reason to walk away from him and the deal he was offering.

If I were you I would give Ana the chance to make things right and if you can't get past it then walk away and take your business somewhere that you feel is treating you right. I would hope that Badger is the exception rather than the rule at that dealership but who knows?

Keep in mind the way to get the best deal is to shop around. What might be a good deal at Ana's Lexus dealership might not be as good as another Lexus dealership. It all depends on their sales goals, time of month and what they are willing to do in order to meet those goals. They are in business to make money so keep that in mind when cutting your deal to ensure they are getting a reasonable\fair profit (no one deserves to be ripped off whether it is you or them). Good luck whatever car you decide to purchase.

I'm from Orlando also. And I pretty much went thru the same issues at Lexus of Orlando. I hate the sales department of Lexus of Orlando.

I've also heard that Lexus of Melbourne is pretty sharky also. I ended up buying mine from Lexus of Tampa. And I got a better deal there also.

Interestingly enough I learned that Lexus of Tampa Bay is the oldest Lexus dealership in the state of Florida. I was working with a salesperson named Madge. She was nice, but didn't seem to have any authority to deal. All she ever wanted to do was turn me over to their Sales Mgr. These guys need to just stop the games. Real business people don't have time for this garbage. I sent an offer. Send a response. Stop trying to drag me into your dealership to play games. I've bought my last few cars doing this, having them fax over an agreement, going in and signing the original, then walking out. Why do dealerships insist on losing a sale just to try and weasel out another hundred dollars? Is their time not worth anything? A sales person could run 3 or 4 deals on line in the amount of time they waste with one person sitting at their desk.

No wonder dealerships are closing.

Hmmm, sounds like a new topic idea!

I seem to think you guys know alot about getting a good deal and how to deal with salesmen. So if I may ask if I got a good deal.....

I did research for an IS that I wanted for months and finally when I found the IS350 I wanted in Houston it had a sticker price of $43,5xx.xx I do not like to haggle so I just said, lets do the paper work and see if I can afford this car. So they gave me 5.x% interest and I pay $650.00 per month for 72 months which ends of being a total cost at the end of financing of something like 46,8xx.xx. So did I get a good deal or did I get ripped off? Like I said in an earlier post I hate to haggle and I like to pay sticker cause it's quicker.

I seem to think you guys know alot about getting a good deal and how to deal with salesmen. So if I may ask if I got a good deal.....

I did research for an IS that I wanted for months and finally when I found the IS350 I wanted in Houston it had a sticker price of $43,5xx.xx I do not like to haggle so I just said, lets do the paper work and see if I can afford this car. So they gave me 5.x% interest and I pay $650.00 per month for 72 months which ends of being a total cost at the end of financing of something like 46,8xx.xx. So did I get a good deal or did I get ripped off? Like I said in an earlier post I hate to haggle and I like to pay sticker cause it's quicker.

LOL!! It's not easy being cheesy bro.....

I first bought my 2003 IS300 used in 06 for 18K. Then 8 months later sold it for 18.5k and bought a 2005 IS300 for 19.5K I put a turbo in that and all kinds of other work, then returned it back to stock, sold the turbo and all the other aftermarket stuff, and traded it in for 23K. On which I got an 08 IS350 with Premuim Package and Nav for 39.5K. With taxes after trade made it almost 18k. I added 10k cash on the spot, financed 8K for 24 months at 2.25% for like 380.00 month. (I did this more for the credit for my credit history.) I paid the car off in 8 months even though I had the money the whole time. So my total out of pocket for my 08 IS350 was really right at 37K after all discounts and taxes and interest. And I don't haggle for price either. I just do my research, and I know exactly what I want before I ever step foot on a car lot. Capt. Jim actually sounds a bit more tolerant and level headed than me. When the Badger was in the office trying to "sell" me, I just waved my hand like a wand with my cell phone, hit "redial" and called Lexus of Tampa right in front of him. I told him he had until the time I got a price from them to write up the deal. Tampa answered, I asked for ( I forget his name a the moment.) he answered the phone, I explained that I was in the sales office of Lexus of Orlando, could he just take a moment to go over what he and I had discussed, and if the offer is still on the table. He went over it, verbatim, and I told him he had a deal right in front of the sales manager from his guest chair! I hung up the phone, he says then, "Ok, we'll match it." I just shrugged my shoulders and said " That's ok, your too late." and left. I drove right to Tampa, he showed me the car we were talking about on the phone, I drove it, said yes, that's what we discussed. They checked my IS300. Went back and fourth a few times, some other guy came out and said they normally don't go that high for trade ins, but mine was so clean and perfect they were ok with the trade in price. We did the paperwork straight up to the penny. I left Lexus of Tampa very happy with how it went, and they even thru in the Lo-Jack because the car had come in that Tuesday and they didn't completely check the car in yet, so the sales person didn't know that the car he showed me and I already test drove had the lo-jack pre installed. So I paid 200 bucks to split the activation charge. 200 bucks for lo-Jack seemed ok. I like knowing I have that. This all happened in Jan. of 08. So the 08 had been out for 3 months. I've since bought a 2001 IS300 for 9k as I was going to make that a track car, but my dad fell ill with cancer and we've had to close up the auto shop. So I sold that car for 10K and I was thinking next year I might build another car as a tribute to my dad. We need to get the economy thing back on track first.

LOL!! It's not easy being cheesy bro.....

I first bought my 2003 IS300 used in 06 for 18K. Then 8 months later sold it for 18.5k and bought a 2005 IS300 for 19.5K I put a turbo in that and all kinds of other work, then returned it back to stock, sold the turbo and all the other aftermarket stuff, and traded it in for 23K. On which I got an 08 IS350 with Premuim Package and Nav for 39.5K. With taxes after trade made it almost 18k. I added 10k cash on the spot, financed 8K for 24 months at 2.25% for like 380.00 month. (I did this more for the credit for my credit history.) I paid the car off in 8 months even though I had the money the whole time. So my total out of pocket for my 08 IS350 was really right at 37K after all discounts and taxes and interest. And I don't haggle for price either. I just do my research, and I know exactly what I want before I ever step foot on a car lot. Capt. Jim actually sounds a bit more tolerant and level headed than me. When the Badger was in the office trying to "sell" me, I just waved my hand like a wand with my cell phone, hit "redial" and called Lexus of Tampa right in front of him. I told him he had until the time I got a price from them to write up the deal. Tampa answered, I asked for ( I forget his name a the moment.) he answered the phone, I explained that I was in the sales office of Lexus of Orlando, could he just take a moment to go over what he and I had discussed, and if the offer is still on the table. He went over it, verbatim, and I told him he had a deal right in front of the sales manager from his guest chair! I hung up the phone, he says then, "Ok, we'll match it." I just shrugged my shoulders and said " That's ok, your too late." and left. I drove right to Tampa, he showed me the car we were talking about on the phone, I drove it, said yes, that's what we discussed. They checked my IS300. Went back and fourth a few times, some other guy came out and said they normally don't go that high for trade ins, but mine was so clean and perfect they were ok with the trade in price. We did the paperwork straight up to the penny. I left Lexus of Tampa very happy with how it went, and they even thru in the Lo-Jack because the car had come in that Tuesday and they didn't completely check the car in yet, so the sales person didn't know that the car he showed me and I already test drove had the lo-jack pre installed. So I paid 200 bucks to split the activation charge. 200 bucks for lo-Jack seemed ok. I like knowing I have that. This all happened in Jan. of 08. So the 08 had been out for 3 months. I've since bought a 2001 IS300 for 9k as I was going to make that a track car, but my dad fell ill with cancer and we've had to close up the auto shop. So I sold that car for 10K and I was thinking next year I might build another car as a tribute to my dad. We need to get the economy thing back on track first.

Awesome. I didn't want to put anything down and I owed what they gave me on my 06 350Z. If I would only wait till my cars were paid off before I wanted a new one I could be just like you!!!!

You didn't get ripped of Nick because you got exactly what you asked for. In order to be "ripped off" you would need to be screwed over in some way. The dealer not offering you a discount when you don't ask for one isn't ripping you off. In life you don't get what you deserve...you get what you negotiate.

Did you overpay for the car? Absolutely. However if thats what you wanted and you didn't want to haggle then you got what you wanted. I would venture to guess a lot of people who buy high dollar cars are this way...more than we know.

Not haggling probably cost you $2,000-$4,000.

Jim, have you tried to contact the Internet Sales Manager? Most Lexus dealers have one and they operate the way you want to operate. The other salespeople try to get you in the door because they have been taught to do that, its easier to sell and harder for you to walk away when you are there then when you are on the phone. I don't blame ordinary salespeople for trying to get you in the door, but the internet sales manager won't do that.

When I bought my car from the Internet Sales Manager in Annapolis I did everything exactly how you described and walked in to sign the deal and pick up the car.

The dealers here even list their CPO cars for several thousand dollars less online than on the sticker...

Jim, have you tried to contact the Internet Sales Manager? Most Lexus dealers have one and they operate the way you want to operate. The other salespeople try to get you in the door because they have been taught to do that, its easier to sell and harder for you to walk away when you are there then when you are on the phone. I don't blame ordinary salespeople for trying to get you in the door, but the internet sales manager won't do that.

I ended up sending Ana an email saying that before I would step back in the dealership I needed an email from her clearly stating that they would pay me 3,500 for my vehicle and give me an OTD price no higher than 28,600. This is where she was talking about being. The Internet Manager emailed me back and said, "my price should get you close to 29400.00 out the door".

I have to say that $800 isn't worth arguing over, but I can't get myself to go back through those doors. I have a very difficult time supporting a business that operates the way this dealership does.

I ended up sending Ana an email saying that before I would step back in the dealership I needed an email from her clearly stating that they would pay me 3,500 for my vehicle and give me an OTD price no higher than 28,600. This is where she was talking about being. The Internet Manager emailed me back and said, "my price should get you close to 29400.00 out the door".

I have to say that $800 isn't worth arguing over, but I can't get myself to go back through those doors. I have a very difficult time supporting a business that operates the way this dealership does.

just take their price to another dealer.

I have never felt comfortable negotiating at the dealership so I have always gone the route of the internet sales person so that I can work the deal and check the figures at my own pace and not feel pressured. As far as I'm concerned it's the only way to buy a car.

I also do a lot of research on the internet and educated myself on carbuyingtips.com