Oxicasket....

RX in NC

Anybody seen the new TV commercial yet with Billy Mays selling OxiCaskets?

"GUARANTEED TO GIVE YOU THE CLEANEST PLOT IN THE CEMETERY OR YOUR MONEY BACK...."

I'd be another that does not find it funny.

Billy Mays was a good family man. His career was really just taking off in another direction.

It's really too bad. Sounds like it was an accident like Natasha Richardson's.

Another icon on this recent list of deaths..

David Carradine > Ed Macmahon > Farrah Fawcett > Michael Jackson > Billy Mays...

It was a heart attack...he had advanced coronary artery disease and didn't have any symptoms...

Yeah...not funny to me either...but everybody reacts to these things in different ways. If it were that guy who hocks the sham-wow and has prostitutes bite off his tongue it might be funny...but Billy Mays was a class act.

Sorry, but constantly yelling at his audience and showing fake demos with multiple camera edits to hawk ridiculously-overpriced, very mediocre merchandise does not constitute a "class act" in my book. I'm sorry for his family that he succumbed to undiagnosed heart disease, but I'm also grateful that no more of his blathering infomercials will send me scurrying for the remote to turn down or mute the sound until his barrage is over....

Sorry, but constantly yelling at his audience and showing fake demos with multiple camera edits to hawk ridiculously-overpriced, very mediocre merchandise does not constitute a "class act" in my book. I'm sorry for his family that he succumbed to undiagnosed heart disease, but I'm also grateful that no more of his blathering infomercials will send me scurrying for the remote to turn down or mute the sound until his barrage is over....

How about his ESPN commercial that was a self-parody? It was classic and I actually re-ran it several times on TiVo to pick up all of the subtle nuances and tongue-in-cheek references.

In any case, since his style was so successful there is sure to be a replacement. Hopefully, not the "Sham-Wow" guy. They have a video playing of him in the local Costco above the Sham-Wow display.

Actually, given the path in life he took, I'd have to say Bill Mays earned the respect, to be respected. A guy who came up from poverty in West Virginia, made a living as a teenager hauling toxic and hazardous waste before waste management regulation made it to W. Virginia, earning his stripes on the boardwalk of New Jersey slinging products, to a multi-million dollar fortune and a branding ability soley on his own appearance. I'd say, there aren't too many folks out there that can say they've got the guts and balls that guy had to make something of himself. May he rest in peace.

But I've got to admit, the OxiCasket, in my opinion, is pretty funny, in a twisted sort of way. And, who isn't just a bit twisted on here anyway?

But I've got to admit, the OxiCasket, in my opinion, is pretty funny, in a twisted sort of way. And, who isn't just a bit twisted on here anyway?

Twisted? Moi?

I'm thinking that Billy Mays would be the first person to appreciate an OxiCasket joke. If we're lucky (or unlucky, LOL), Ron "But Wait!" Popeil will be pitching them on TV before we know it.

Or maybe Costco could add the OxiCasket to its fine line of caskets. Seriously folks, Costco really does sell caskets.

post-2157-1246390248_thumb.jpg

Just because we may not find value in what someone does for a living doesn't mean its okay to mock them after their death...JMHO.

He was a pitchman, thats what pitchmen do. Obviously it was effective or he wouldn't have been as successful as he was.

If you watched him on his show, and listened to any of the people who had interviewed him you'd see that he was definately a class act. Always time for an interview, didn't take himself too seriously, always self-depricating and a good sense of humor. Good family-man. Nothing to be ashamed of or to mock there.

Your cup of tea - not mine. As I said, I'm relieved that his commercials are off the air.

And yes, nc211, I'll admit to being as twisted as you can get without being involuntarily committed to the funny farm....

I didn't particularly like his methods of "yelling" and use of "annoying tactics" to get attention, but heck, it did the job. He was a marketing genius for sure...

I never said what he did was my cup of tea, I just said that he was regarded by everyone who met him and came across on his show to me as being a genuine & gracious family man. If you've never seen any of the things I've mentioned how can you say one way or the other?

Well...I personally can't imagine being glad something is off the air because someone is dead...whether I liked whatever the particular thing was or not. Not my cup of tea you're right.

Anyways...you said the products were mediocre which implies that you tried them ;)

Wrong assumption. I didn't buy the OxiClean laundry product but my wife tried it a couple of years back, hoping it would get her dogwashing towels and my athletic clothing cleaner. Just another merchandising rip-off. Made absolutely no difference compared to her regular laundry products and processes. Didn't even come close to removing my bloodstains as regular ol' bleach does. Another sucker fell for the infomercial pitch, but at least she learned from the experience and has never purchased another Oxi-product since....

But SHE tried it ;) Someone in the household spent money on Oxi-Clean and that was the goal.

I have a better story, my father in law bought us "Sham-Wow"'s for Christmas (he's a classy guy lol). He loved the infomercials so much he bought himself a set...and one for everyone he knows for Christmas. They work...the infomercials not the Sham-Wows. They suck.

Have you noticed Vince the Sham-Wow guy is EVERYWHERE now after Billy Mays died?