Thorttle Body Cleaning - Dealer?

90LS400Lexus

I called the local Toyota dealer (because I dont use our local Lexus dealer anymore) to see how much throttle body cleaning would run and he said $49.00. OR he SAID they have a complete fuel system cleaning (which cleans the fuel pump, injectors, tops pistons, etc) for $122. He said this was "outside of" Toyota, but it was a great system that would take care of my low RPM hesitation and what I think is causing my "bumping" when in overdrive nad light acceleration between 35-50 mph.

Does this $122 sound the way to go, or would the $49 service suffice?

Thanks.

Is this truly a cleaning where they use a solvent and brushes and scrub the Throttle Body until it is clean to the bare metal? It almost sounds like some magic elixir they pour into your gas tank that "refurbishes the entire fuel system". I’d ask for a description of what they are doing as it sounds a tad suspicious.

I don’t know of any magic elixir that can fix a dirty throttle body without some disassembly and old fashioned elbow grease.

yeah, I have to agree with the curious one. I'll bet they just dump some zmax or something in there. Although I have no issues with mine, I still think it probably needs a good cleaning. My car runs just great except that my A/C is out with a compressor issue. I think these are pretty easy to clean. I did it on my Chevy Caprice a long time ago. I'll have to read up on how to do this procedure.

You can pull the throttle body easily enough and set on a flat surface, then spray carb cleaner on the back of the throttle plate. Let it soak for a while, then brush it off. Cleans it to brand new. For the rest of the intake, there really isn't anything heavy duty enough to clean the carbon buildup without brushing it, I always pull the manifold/plenum and send it to a machine shop to be hot tanked, that guarantees it's 100% new when you get it back. Most places charge $10-20 to let the pieces soak overnight.

The stuff they're trying to sell you on may help a little, but it's doubtful you'll get your money's worth.

I had about 1/4 inch of carbon buildup. Taking the throttle body off and the cleaning took me about 2 hours. There was no way that a cleaning solution would have done the trick as I had to do a lot of scraping also.

I had about the same amount of carbon on my TB aswell, and it to a couple hours of elbow grease to get it all off. Sine the dealer around here dosen't normally charge $25 an hour, I would too be a tad suspicious of what exactly they are doing. As far as taking off the TB, it wasn't too dificult. Just take off the air intake up to the TB and the four bolts holding it on as well as a hose or two, then your ready to clean. Make sure you have the gasket BEFORE you take off the TB. I made that mistake and had to waste the better part of the day trying to track one down. I say just clean it yourself, and see the improvment. You'll be happy you did.

Do it all your self.

Pull the TB and clean it with a censor safe carb cleaner (Valvoline SYN)

Then instead of paying $122 to clean your fuel system... Buy a can of Seafoam, and put it in your tank B)

It has been my experience that if a mechanic has to remove something, they'd rather charge you for a new one to be reinstalled. And to "clean" something, is nothing more than a bag of chemicals hooked into the fuel system and revved through the engine, much in the same manner as we use seafoam on here through the brake booster line. And as easy as it is to clean the throttle body, and your experience on here and the threads associated with the process, you already know what the proper proceedure is to do to clean up a throttle body. You can spend the $122 for the injector bag treatment at the dealership, and spend a couple of hours catching up on the ladies magazines in the waiting room, or you can spend $20 for a new throttle body gasket and spend your time making sure the throttle body is clean yourself. ;)

Well, how does one remove the throttle body on these cars? Are there instructions here somewhere? I know nothing about them. I am a fool.

I found what to USE to clean it, but not how to clean it. What all comes off... any special tools?

Also, how do you clean the EGR valve?

Well, how does one remove the throttle body on these cars? Are there instructions here somewhere? I know nothing about them. I am a fool.

I found what to USE to clean it, but not how to clean it. What all comes off... any special tools?

Pay a visit:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/throttlebody.html

http://www.lextreme.com/tb.htm

Pay a visit:

Thanks for the links. Good write-ups. Looks like a fun job. Looks more involved than I thought, but this is coming from someone thats not a DIYER. <_<

I will give it a whirl though.... whats the worst that can happen.... I break a $500 part? :rolleyes:

Pay a visit:

Thanks for the links. Good write-ups. Looks like a fun job. Looks more involved than I thought, but this is coming from someone thats not a DIYER. <_<

I will give it a whirl though.... whats the worst that can happen.... I break a $500 part? :rolleyes:

I have done it myself. I am not mechanically inclined and I had put the screws in distinct places to remember the way going back. Up until I joined the forum very recently the dealer was always getting my repairs/maintenance money. I do though have another two cars, IS250 AWD and GS350 AWD. Eventually, I can not beat the system but as far as the old lady she will get my love and tender as far as I can in my garage.

Good luck.

Remember.. if you're not confident in yourself, it's always ok to have a tech do the work.

Find a good, honest independent mech. It will be much cheaper than a dealer, and they won't try to sheist you into a ton of other "rip-off" services.