04 Ls430 Vs 97 E320 Merc. ?

snakehead

I am looking in to making the jump to a 04 LS430 , my question is i have driven a 97 E320 Mercedes and i was happy with the kind of power it had but i have not yet had the chance to drive the Lexus , what is the power/ torque like in the LS 430 ?

Is it any thing like the E320 ? faster , slower , different ?? For those of you that have drove both whats your opinion ? Thanks,

I am looking in to making the jump to a 04 LS430 , my question is i have driven a 97 E320 Mercedes and i was happy with the kind of power it had but i have not yet had the chance to drive the Lexus , what is the power/ torque like in the LS 430 ?

Is it any thing like the E320 ? faster , slower , different ?? For those of you that have drove both whats your opinion ? Thanks,

2004 Lexus LS430

Engine Type: 4.3 Liter 32-valve V8 DOHC.

Curb Weight:3,957

Horsepower: 290 hp @ 5600 rpm

Torque: 320 ft-lbs. @ 3400 rpm

Transmission: 5-Speed Electronically Controlled Transmission with Intelligence (ECT-i)

0-60: 6.3 seconds

Max Speed: 130 mph

1997 Mercedes E320

Engine Type: 3.2 Liter 24-valve I6 DOHC, Variable Valve Timing

Curb Weight: 3,605 lbs

Horsepower: 217 hp @ 5500 rpm

Torque: 232 ft-lbs. @ 3850 rpm

Transmission: 5-Speed Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmission

0-60: ??? seconds

Max Speed: ??? mph

I was unable to find Acceleration and Top Speed numbers for you, but I did find that the 1998 E320 that had 3.2L V-6 rather than 1997's I-6 had a "faster" 0-60 time of 6.9 seconds, faster meaning faster than the 97 I-6.

I feel you will be quite pleased with the power the LS will give you, especially when you look to pass someone ont he highway.

2004 Lexus LS430

Engine Type: 4.3 Liter 32-valve V8 DOHC.

Curb Weight:3,957

Horsepower: 290 hp @ 5600 rpm

Torque: 320 ft-lbs. @ 3400 rpm

Transmission: 5-Speed Electronically Controlled Transmission with Intelligence (ECT-i)

0-60: 6.3 seconds

Max Speed: 130 mph

1997 Mercedes E320

Engine Type: 3.2 Liter 24-valve I6 DOHC, Variable Valve Timing

Curb Weight: 3,605 lbs

Horsepower: 217 hp @ 5500 rpm

Torque: 232 ft-lbs. @ 3850 rpm

Transmission: 5-Speed Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmission

0-60: ??? seconds

Max Speed: ??? mph

I was unable to find Acceleration and Top Speed numbers for you, but I did find that the 1998 E320 that had 3.2L V-6 rather than 1997's I-6 had a "faster" 0-60 time of 6.9 seconds, faster meaning faster than the 97 I-6.

I feel you will be quite pleased with the power the LS will give you, especially when you look to pass someone ont he highway.

Thanks for the info. i just wondered if any one has owned both cars and could give me a review.

snakehead. why don't you just drive both cars and decide for yourself.

The 97 E320 is a nice enough car I suppose. I drove -- more like raced/flogged -- one of that series three times around a short course in a BMW Challenge event -- pushed the car to the limit. The concensus of the approximately 15 event participants was that the E320 was a fairly close second to the BMW 528i and ahead of the other cars we droved on the course during that day. I remember the E320 being a very comfortable car and feeling larger than the older series 94 E320 a friend owns and in which I often ride.

A 97 E320 and an 04 LS430 don't seem like very similar cars to me.

I owned a 2000 E320 and now have a 2004 LS430. The LS430 is far quicker in my mind. 6 cylinder 3.2L vs 8 cylinder 4.3L.

I wasn't inot racing or other high speed activity so I'm maybe not the best judge. I don't think either of these are a good choise if flat out speed is important. They're both quite heavy luxury cars.

I prefer the Lexus LS430 over the E320. I think Lexus is more reliable, better engineered and more reasonably priced for what you get.

I owned a 2000 E320 and now have a 2004 LS430. The LS430 is far quicker in my mind. 6 cylinder 3.2L vs 8 cylinder 4.3L.

I wasn't inot racing or other high speed activity so I'm maybe not the best judge. I don't think either of these are a good choise if flat out speed is important. They're both quite heavy luxury cars.

I prefer the Lexus LS430 over the E320. I think Lexus is more reliable, better engineered and more reasonably priced for what you get.

I just bought a 2004 LS430 and it has 33,000 miles on it. I opened it up on the highway this weekend and was thoroughly impressed with the stability at speeds upward of 100mph. The car sits firm and does not wobble. I didn't have the guts to try and take it up to 130. However I felt as though it would have gotten there easily. When I hit 100 it flet like I was only going 80. The ride wasn't noisy, and it got there fast. This is an impressive car.

There was a Merc E500 playing tag with me. The guy was looking at me impressed with the lexus. He did not go over 100mph at which point he was in my dust.

My car has no mods.

Cheers,

Ian

the LS is more comparable to the S Class.

The LS will destroy that E-Class MBenz in luxury and comfort... bigger engine too!

..and since I'm a little biased to Lexus and severely dislike German crap vehicles.... I'd say get the LS B) B) B)

A 12 year old car from a german automaker that is in it's first couple of years of production (and when MB was slipping) vs. a 5 year old car that continues to top the list of the most reliable car on the road. No contest on which one I would buy. Plus, during my research of that style MB, specifically in those model years, revealed some pretty serious repairs that occur. One, the wires on the plugs were bad, and some plastic thingy connector that was part of a recall. 2) the a/c unit is prone to failure, and requires the entire dashboard to be removed to get to the part that breaks. It's one hell of the most expensive repairs in the entire car from what I read, almost guaranteed to happen, and sent many folks to the lexus dealership in general to trade it in.

Powerwise: as mentioned earlier, if pavement stomping power and associated driving techniques are what you're looking for, then I doubt either one of these cars will really scratch that itch. But, the 4.3 V8 in the Lexus is no wussie of an engine, believe me. I have one in my GS, and when asked, that engine will hurdle your butt down the road a lot faster than you realize. It will kick you into your seat, and keep you there until you let off the gas.

Thanks every one for the input, I am trying to scrape my coins together and make my purchase , I am going with the LS 430 , I am not a speed racer i am done with those days , I just wanted a few owner opinions , I have had a Audi A4 upgraded turbo/FMIC intercololer etc.., Nissan 240sx Turbo pushing 300hp , El camino 400 crate motor , headers etc..so i am done with tickets and racing around like an !Removed!. I just wanted some feed back because i don't want to test drive until i have the cash in hand. I was really pleased with the type of power the e320 had , so i am sure i will enjoy the LS430. Thanks

You're not a speed racer... lol

Wait till you get the LS B) She'll be begging, and begging, and one day you won't have the will power to say "NO!" and you'll put your foot so deep into that pedal, and open up a side of the LS that not many people know about ;) (just like your crazy ex-gf!) hahahahahaha :lol:

I am looking to upgrade from a 91 LS 400 to a LS 430...I just wanted to know what model year is the best to buy? As far as the MB E320, it's kinda old but MB has done some new upgrades to the car. But as far as that model year and based on specs, performance, customer satisfaction, etc. I would definitely get the LS 430.

I am looking to upgrade from a 91 LS 400 to a LS 430...I just wanted to know what model year is the best to buy? As far as the MB E320, it's kinda old but MB has done some new upgrades to the car. But as far as that model year and based on specs, performance, customer satisfaction, etc. I would definitely get the LS 430.

Yeah the Lexus is the king in my book, They are built to last, perfection in a car. you get what you pay for.

Wait till you get the LS B) She'll be begging, and begging, and one day you won't have the will power to say "NO!" and you'll put your foot so deep into that pedal, and open up a side of the LS that not many people know about ;) (just like your crazy ex-gf!) hahahahahaha :lol:

Yeah i am sure i will, It will just be on the down low, and while all eyes are on the STI's and honda's with those loud chrome exhausts .

I've been driving a ~1999 E430 for a little less than a week, which is probably a more appropriate comparison to the LS 430. So far, compared to my car (UCF10) it is nimbler and quicker.

My only experience with a UCF30 is sitting as a passenger. The Mercedes-Benz E430 is noisier than the LS 430. The ride is not significantly harsher than an LS 430, but it doesn't make minor road defects disappear like the Lexus LS have always made a habit of doing... so expect more steering feedback, if it matters to you.

When you are shopping, I think you should be looking at how good a car is at what it does; not at how much punch it has. What are you shopping for: a pampering luxury car?; or a powerful beast? They both weight near 2 tonnes. Then what's the acceleration worth to you?

Yeah i am sure i will, It will just be on the down low, and while all eyes are on the STI's and honda's with those loud chrome exhausts .

I just test drove a '06 LS 430 2day with the Ultra Luxary Package and I was so impressed....I have 2 admit that it begs U 2 open it up and open it up I did...the ride is so plush and this car is so stocked with options that it makes u wonder why would u want 2 drive anything else...trust me, this car is worth the dollars that u will spend....

Yeah i just want to cruise in luxury , i have been driving a nissan truck around with 300,000 mi. on the clock with no power any thing but the radio, so the LS430 will be a nice touch of class, Thanks for the info and insight.

EGG-ZACKLY!!! B)

• 2 weeks later...

An 04 LS430 VS 97 E320 is not a good match up at all. To be in the same ball park you will need to look at an 99 and up E430. At least then both motors are 4.3L V8's. The benz will be a better car to drive because it can make really tights coners. The Lexus is not a driver's car. But the Lexus is a better car to keep in the long run. And way cheaper to work on.

The benz will be a better car to drive because it can make really tights coners. The Lexus is not a driver's car. But the Lexus is a better car to keep in the long run. And way cheaper to work on.

That depends on what you are looking for out of the way a car drives. For me the LS is a much better car to drive because I'm more interested in a smooth & quiet ride than excellent handling.