Bmw 528i

denslexusgx470

So the lease is up on the 4Runner in June, but out of nowhere my dad decides to get a BMW 5 Series... POSSIBLY if we get the last of the 09s tomorrow. <_< I know it's the opposite of Lexus, and I've never really admired BMW, but has anyone had experience with the current 5 Series or has any friends who have experience with the 5 series??

Not sure yet if it will be a 528i or a 535i

Edited by denslexusgx470
Decided to get a 528i

I loved the styling of the previous-generation 5-Series but really feel quite the opposite about the current model....I think it looks like nothing more than a restyled Pontiac Grand Am.

I have a friend who owns 2 5-series BMWs. He drives a 535 and his wife drives a 528. I don't know exactly what model years they are, but they are both of the newer "ugly" generation.

They seem to be decent vehicles besides their styling, but even in the short time they have owned them they have still cost much more to maintain than our older Camry and LS400. I think their definition of "reliable" and "inexpensive to own" is quite different than mine as their previous cars were old Jaguars that sounded like they were absolutely terrible...all kinds of expensive repairs.

I think the 5-Series is a decent car, but the cost of ownership will likely be much higher than your dad's current 4Runner. If he has researched the car at all, he probably already knows that and is prepared to deal with it.

He must be prepared since the downpayment and monthly lease is DOUBLE than the 4Runner's hehe. :P

Just picked up a 528i today! Amazing machine. They really stand up to their "Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan.... :o

This will be an interesting 3 years...

post-9735-1244449565_thumb.jpg

I actually really like the styling of the current 5 series. I always thought the previous 5 was a little too nondescript looking. I especially like the 08-09 with the refresh. I like the refresh of the previous 7 too but don't care for the all new 7.

I know some people with them and they like them a lot. They are great cars to lease because BMW pays for all the maintenance for the warranty period. Definately more expensive to maintain than a Lexus but who cares, BMW will cover it during the lease and then your dad will turn it in for something else.

Congrats! I love that color too.

For sure my dad will return this at the end of lease for something else, possibly a Mercedes someday. BMW has been his ultimate dream as a kid but Lexus was a new reality to him so we ended up fulfilling the Lexus dream before the BMW dream. Now he's fully satisfied and although he did not get all the gizmos he wanted (for those who think of getting married, think twice!) because my mom swayed him to go with the 528i w/o navi versus the 535i w/Navi...

I love it and I admit it's really the car to buy if you are looking for road-hugging performance. To think this is just a simple 528i, I could only imagine how the M5 performs. :o :o

As far as the "free" maintenance, it's more complicated than what the commercials disclose. First of all, the free maintenance does not cover ANY tire rotations and balancing! Secondly, BMW lease is SUPER STRICT when it comes to returning the vehicle. They are very strict on scratches and rims (curb rashes, bent rims, etc)... My dad ended up buying the "Care Assist" package for $900 more so in case there's minor damage on the car when the lease is up, BMW won't charge us huge penalties. The Care Assist also takes care of the tires IF we could somehow stretch the threadlife to the end of lease. If not, well we obviously will have to replace them before we return it.

For sure we are not keeping this beast after the lease. I don't think it will be as reliable as our GX even though our GX was the guinea pig unit. ;)

More pics in the show and shine forum!

BMW 528i

Wow, a Beamer huh? Didn't see that coming. It'll be fine. I don't like the current 5 series much either. But if you want a BMW with more room than the 3, and still be a 4 door, then it's the only other choice. Personally I would have leased an LS over the 5 any day. I know the GS is more of a direct market compare, but the deals they're giving out right now might almost put you in the same price area.

For sure the LS would cost more in terms of lease payments! Even if it were the most basic LS. I know the GS is the direct competitor of the 5, but I have to admit the 5 is way different than Lexus and it's almost like comparing apples and oranges. :huh:

The 528i, wow. It grips the road and I've never really driven a car that can grip like that (hence it only has Continental ContiTouringContact tires). The power, most say, is "underpowered" but personally it seems enough for me (for now).. I can really only imagine how the M5 or 550i performs, or maybe even how the IS-F would perform (I would still love to try an IS-F :) )

Gizmo-wise, Lexus is far behind in gizmos I believe! This 5 (thus a little "outdated" since the re-design is due for 2011) has more gizmos than the GX or maybe even the GS. Of course the LS has more but then that's when the 7 series comes into play <_< <_<

Honestly it's something to try! I've always bashed BMW and always said that if I were to get a German automobile, I'd pick a Mercedes over a BMW. Obviously I'm not the one paying for this so I can not control what will end up in the garage but someday at least I know when I can finally pay for my own cars, I have experienced driving a Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes. ;)

Congrats dens, I'm sure your pop will enjoy the new ride! I know what you're saying about the differences between the BMW brand and the Lexus brand. It's something deep down in the dna of the automakers that make the two different. Lexus takes pride in insulating you from the road, as where BMW takes pride in connecting you to it. Both have their strong positives, and negatives. This doesn't really apply to you, since you guys are leasing a new one, but what I've noticed about BMW's is how loud they get as they age, primarily in the exhaust and engine noise category. As where Lexus cars seem to stay quiet throughout. I also know what you mean about the power. BMW is fantastic at making 190hp feel like 290hp, with smooth and strong torque application and band. I've always loved driving BMW's, and heavily considered the 5 series as a replacement for my LS. I test drove a 530i (I think it was an 03') and was stunned at how damn fast that thing was! I've also driven several 328's, 325's, and a 528 like yours. All have a great feel to them. The only two that I thought were just dogs was my dad's 318ti (weak, bussy, rattle bucket), and a late 80's 325e (e for economy). That car had no guts, at all, and redlined at like 4,500 rpm (not a desiel engine either). The things that spooked me from buying one were 1) The 3 series just too small 2) The 5 series was to cramped in shoulder room, and no real cup holders, and 3) The 3 series had problems with their Vamos (I think that's it) system that made a lot of noise in the engine, and tearing subframe mounts in the back that were ungodly expensive to fix. Plus, the trim around the doors and headliners seemed to fail quite a bit in humid environments. The 5 series (older design) had cooling problems that required new radiators, and some other quirk that I can't think of at the moment. At that time, I just wasn't interested in fixing anything in the garage. Although parts were WAY cheaper for a BMW than a Lexus, my a mile!

However, if I found a early 2000's BMW 328 sport wagon, I might have to bite. I love those cars. I would also love to have as a third car (toy car) a red with beige interior, 1980's M3 (the one with the fender flares and wing). Every kid has that one car they dream or dreamnt about having when they were a teenager, and that one is mine. I actually conned a BMW salesman to let me test drive one when I was like 17, and loved loved loved it. I also rode in a grey one in 89' in Birmingham, doing 140 mph's down Red Mountain Expressway. That was fun (back then, I'd soil my self and have a stroke today).

You guys are going to love that BMW! Nothing stops like a BMW either.

yes i've always heard of problems and problems with certain BMW models, but hopefully they fixed a lot of those problems in their newer models. Nothing for me to worry about as I'm pretty sure we're gonna return this 528i at the end of lease.

My dad's been a BMW fan probably because he had a friend who was a mechanic. His friend worked on all European/German cars, anything from VW to BMW so my dad probably got to drive one of the cars he was working on and that's probably where my dad got his dream for a BMW.

I'm good with a Lexus dream someday hehe . :rolleyes:

I've always wanted a BMW and a Mercedes too. One day I'll have each.

Before it's all done and said for, I'll probably have one of each too someday. And, I'm sure when I do, I'll be on the appropriate car forum talking about how great they are. SWO, just make sure you get the 7 series ok. I don't think I can handle you on another forum saying "I like my 5 series, but I'm really thinking about a 7 series". :lol:

I love the Lexus that my wife has confiscated from me! :D But my X5 drives like a totally different animal. They are almost in 2 different classes and it is hard to compare. I think that as far as the wow factor... I get a lot more "attention" driving the BMW then the Lexus. Now having had a Mercedes too even though it was just a C class I can say the only problem that I had with it was the tires...and the alignment. Other than that I had no problem with the car whatsoever. It was just too small for me.

Now as far as the styling of the BMW...I am kind of torn on this too. I like the old X5 like mine up until 06. The new 5 series looks good...but to each his or her own.

It might be a while but...one day...I will have to build on another garage so that I can get a BMW, LEXUS, JAG, BENZ, CORVETTE, HARLEY, DUCATTI, LAMBO...hell since we are dreaming…I am going to dream big! :D :lol:

I love the Lexus that my wife has confiscated from me! :D But my X5 drives like a totally different animal. They are almost in 2 different classes and it is hard to compare. I think that as far as the wow factor... I get a lot more "attention" driving the BMW then the Lexus. Now having had a Mercedes too even though it was just a C class I can say the only problem that I had with it was the tires...and the alignment. Other than that I had no problem with the car whatsoever. It was just too small for me.

Now as far as the styling of the BMW...I am kind of torn on this too. I like the old X5 like mine up until 06. The new 5 series looks good...but to each his or her own.

It might be a while but...one day...I will have to build on another garage so that I can get a BMW, LEXUS, JAG, BENZ, CORVETTE, HARLEY, DUCATTI, LAMBO...hell since we are dreaming…I am going to dream big! :D :lol:

I'm moving next door! :cheers:

This current 5 series (E60) is growing on me. It's not a design that I hated when it first came out but it also isnt a design that I've "always wanted and need to have it" of a car. The GX470, yes that was a car that I first fell in love with when I saw the spy pictures of it 8 months before they first launched it in person. So far the 528i is growing on me hehe <_<

I just love the light strips that light up during the day and night (and serves as the park light for the tail lights at night) and also the little LED lights on top of the "eyelashes" of the headlights and the top corner of the tail lights also. Oh and the LED turn signals are still amazing me until now hehe :D :P :rolleyes:

Now to get a Mercedes in the garage also with the BMW and Lexus... :huh: Maybe when I finish school and buy a house with a 3 car garage hehe . :D

Hey NC why not just crash in my 5 bedroom guest house. :whistles:

SWO, just make sure you get the 7 series ok. I don't think I can handle you on another forum saying "I like my 5 series, but I'm really thinking about a 7 series". :lol:

LOL, I'll keep that in mind!

Hey NC why not just crash in my 5 bedroom guest house. :whistles:

I appreciate the offer, Lex, but I like and respect you too much to subject you to within 300 feet of my son's Diaper Gennie. Talk about killing one's property value "oh dear lord, what is that smell?"

I appreciate the offer, Lex, but I like and respect you too much to subject you to within 300 feet of my son's Diaper Gennie. Talk about killing one's property value "oh dear lord, what is that smell?"

NC... join the club bud. My little man is 19 months...and I got another one on the way. Will find out this weekend if it will be another boy or girl. That diaper gennie can sure get funky! :D :lol:

I have always liked the looks of the 5 series BMWs

I've driven a 1997 528i... and I must admit after driving my LS for so long it felt VERY gutless... and yes it was a 5 speed.

Honestly the BMW slogan fits their cars! I haven't driven the 528i much but as far as I can kinda remember, it kinda makes our other cars "boring" at times lol. But I'm happy with Toyota and Lexus to be honest! ;)

Thanks! It's a whole new experience for me, these German vehicles are too complicated lol. But all I know is that after college, once I have enough money, I'll be walking into a Lexus dealership, not a BMW dealership ;) :cheers:

The three BMW's that have been in my dad's garage were all fun to drive, but...

1978 BMW 530i = The manual transmission would always freeze in the winter, gas line always broke in the summer

92' 325ci "convert" = convert top mechanicals always broke, and took far too much effort to push the gas peddle down. Electric module after eletric module after electric module kept blowing.

94 318ti "little MG looking one" = fun, buzzy, rattle bucket. Chewed through brakes like SWO through a Lexus Dealership! :lol:

However, that was back then. I learned from a Top Gear episode a while back that the 3 series was the best selling car in Europe, putting it in "Honda Civic" terms here in the US. When I was considering one for myself a couple years ago, I met several owners at gas stations and such who all seemed to love their. Some even with over 300k miles, on the xi "awd model"! But, there's just not enough elbow room in them for my liking. The thing I really love about a Lexus LS and GS, and now the new IS, is that big ole' fat center consol. I like the feeling of "this is my space, that is your space, and we have plenty of space in the middle to share". I haven't sat in the new designs, including your dad's designed 5 series though.