Lung Forward While Braking

I have seen this discussed before, but cannot find the thread, but do not recall if there is a good explanation.

I noticed recently (not as much when the card was brand new it is now about 9000 Km or 6000 miles), that while coasting along towards a red light or stop sign, and I want to stop, and put my foot on the brake, medium force, and all of a sudden, the car would lung forward which gave me a big surprise, and I have to react by adding more braking force, jerking the passenger forward. This only happens occasionally, and cannot be re-created at will.

I tried to pay attention to what is happening, is it because the ICE is suddenly turned off, hence no engine braking power? But, at coasting speed, ICE is already off. The generator was in re-gen mode, but, when I put my food on the brake pedal, it should not cause it to release? Or is the battery full so the re-gen is suddenly turned off?

Anyway it is intriguing. Anyone has a good explanation?

You will notice that this happens only after traversing a bump in the road while the brakes are "regenerating". I believe the slight kickback and resulting lower compression of foot on brake pedal gives the impression of lurching or increasing speed. This is absolutely normal for our generation RX.

You will notice that this happens only after traversing a bump in the road while the brakes are "regenerating". I believe the slight kickback and resulting lower compression of foot on brake pedal gives the impression of lurching or increasing speed. This is absolutely normal for our generation RX.

No, this is cruising towards a stop light or stop sign. The road is smooth, no bump, and there is no lower compression on brake. Happened again today, my foot is just touching brake sightly to control an easy stop, and it lurched forward, as if some force give the car a push.

This happens to me also. Here is a thread discussing this. They might be right that it is actually a loosening of the braking and not an actual surge forward. It gets your attention though when it happens.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1c574a/0

Thnaks for the link. It does explain it quite well. Do other RX400h owners have this intermittent problem, or are there just a few of us?

I loved the spelling bee! Thanks for the chuckle you guys...oh, and for the braking info. I only noticed that when I first bought the car and if it happens now, I simply don't notice it any longer. Their, There, They're.....

Rey... (yes, this is the way I spell my name so please, do not correct me!)....

I loved the spelling bee! Thanks for the chuckle you guys...oh, and for the braking info. I only noticed that when I first bought the car and if it happens now, I simply don't notice it any longer. Their, There, They're.....

Rey... (yes, this is the way I spell my name so please, do not correct me!)....

I know "lung" is wrong, but did not look it up. :P

Anyway, my ability to spell is getting worse with age, and spell check makes it even worse. I'll try better next time.

It is indeed funny. :D

Don't worry about it, it was indeed endearing, we were just being facetious. .....(F-A-C-E-T-I-O-U-S....I went on to the next round of a spelling bee with that word! it has all five vowels and in the correct order.) Happy trails, Rey in L.A.

Don't worry about it, it was indeed endearing, we were just being facetious. .....(F-A-C-E-T-I-O-U-S....I went on to the next round of a spelling bee with that word! it has all five vowels and in the correct order.) Happy trails, Rey in L.A.

HooRey for Rey.

Tom

Anyway, my ability to spell is getting worse with age, and spell check makes it even worse. I'll try better next time.

Thank you for being a good sport ... as some would get their feathers ruffled. BTW, I too, am famous for spelling 'whoop'es'. But taking it in stride as you did? That's a true sign of character.

Rey, you forgot one vowel ... the infamous 'Y' . . . as in 'sky' ... sorry ... there's so few chances to use my useless info/trivia.

:P

Thank you for being a good sport ... as some would get their feathers ruffled. BTW, I too, am famous for spelling 'whoop'es'. But taking it in stride as you did? That's a true sign of character.

Rey, you forgot one vowel ... the infamous 'Y' . . . as in 'sky' ... sorry ... there's so few chances to use my useless info/trivia.

:P

Ah, yes, the sneaky, little "Y"...why oh why did I forget the "Y"...anyway, you are all gentlemen...and women... and scholars and I am so glad to have found this very informative forum. I have learned a lot about my car and issues that come up have always been explained to me by people that I trust more than a dealer employee. Toodle-loo, Rey in L.A.