Replaced The Starter And Now The Car Wont Start

vlade31

I have a 92 Lexus LS400 and with about 170k miles...the starter went out so i replaced it and now the car starts and dies after like 8 seconds...I check all the fuel lines...It has enough gas in there...i dont know what else it can be...please help i am running out of things to check. Thanks in advance.

I think you have to invest a little more time diagnosing it. Is the engine stopping due to fuel or ignition? Do you have any tools to test for spark or measure fuel pressure or if injectors are getting signal.

Its strange changing starter would induce this type of result. Was engine showing any early signs of stalling prior to the starter change out?

If you open throttle after start is it apt to run longer or always the same 8 seconds? If it runs longer on partially open throttle it may indicating an idle problem or gummed up throttle body.

The possibitlities are many, you need to narrow things down some.

The first thing I'd check is the ignition and the wires that you messed with while installing the starter. If you had it done at a shop, bring it back to them and ask them to look into it.

Otherwise...check the starter cable, the solenoid, the battery cable going to the starter. Also maybe even pull off the starter and check the teeth to make sure there hasn't been any grinding.

Other then electrical, I can't think of anything else since you really didn't mess with the fuel system at all.

I have a 92 Lexus LS400 and with about 170k miles...the starter went out so i replaced it and now the car starts and dies after like 8 seconds...I check all the fuel lines...It has enough gas in there...i dont know what else it can be...please help i am running out of things to check. Thanks in advance.

In addition to checking the TPS, have a shop "smoke" around the base of the intake manifold to check for air leaks. You did put a new intake manifold gasket on, didn't you?

• 3 months later...

I'll go with the vacuume leak theory as offered by threadcutter. You know the starter is okay because it starts. Man, there are a lot of vacuum and elctrical lines around and one off or damaged would do this. Replacing a starter is a pretty big deal on these cars, not like the old days.