Acura Tl Vs. Es350 Vs. M-b C-class Vs G37

PsychDoc

I think I've settled on the TL. I now have an ES and, while it's a nice enough vehicle that has been entirely reliable thoughout my three years of ownership, it's a snooze to drive. I really want something a bit sportier. So I looked at and drove the G37 and it's a rocket ship. Huge power but a very cramped and noisy cockpit. It's 69" width really comes through on the interior space. And the rear seat isn't good for anything but groceries. I'm a huge fan of a great nav system and it's nav screen is nowhere near up to the clarity and resolution of that which is found in the TL. A fair price though.

The C-Class is a nice handling car but, again, it's small and terribly over priced for what you're getting (must be something with that 3 pointed star). I hate the M-B instrumentation and controls. Totally nonintuitive. And again, like all German nav systems, it's archaic.

So that brings me to the Acura TL. In size and appointments it's in the same league as the 5 series the A6 or the E-class but it's priced almost $20k cheaper. It has an amazing array of technology (real time weather and traffic, a built in hard drive that you can copy CD's over to, full ipod integration, etc) a SOTA nav system and ultra high resolution screen, xenon headlights, keyless entry and keyless start. All in a package that's really far more comperable to the true mid sized sports sedans. Many people hate it's nose, but thyen I recall the outcry when Chris Bangle had his way with the entire BMW lineup. And the hue and cry when the Cadillac CTS came out? Wow. Yet both manufacturers have seen huge sales increases.

And, while the TL is not as fast as the G37, it does have a 280 hp engine that'll do 0-60 in almost 6 seconds flat.

Have any of you been in the market for this class of car?

If so, what has been your thinking?

Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback.

what about the Hyundai Genesis?

I was one of the earliest 'fan boys' of theGenesis. I followed that car from the time it was a concept vehicle. I test drove an early arrival of the car at a Hyundai dealership in the spring last year. I wasn't terribly impressed, but to be fair, the plastic hadn't even come off the car and it hadn't been prepped in any way. The real deciding factor for me, however was that I decided (living in NYC) that I wanted either a fwd or awd car for the snow. The be honest, if the Genesis had fwd or awd, I'd cerainly have it on my very short list. At $39k fully equipped, it's a real bargain.

FWD, I would take a used TL, the new TL is hideous looking!, or even the Toyota Avalon or Camery. I wouldn't even waste time on the MB's for awhile. Especially the C class. BMW is good, but like you said, the prices are to high. Nissan/Infinity is making a good line. And until Audi figures out a few things I would stay away from them also.

FWD, I would take a used TL, the new TL is hideous looking!, or even the Toyota Avalon or Camery. I wouldn't even waste time on the MB's for awhile. Especially the C class. BMW is good, but like you said, the prices are to high. Nissan/Infinity is making a good line. And until Audi figures out a few things I would stay away from them also.

Yeah I've read/heard that from a number of sources about the appearance of he 2009 TL. It's one of those things you're going to love or hate. Call me crazy, but I like the looks of the new TL a lot. And I'm probably going to be getting it in light silver (with a light grey interior), so there is a seamless integration of the "beak" with the rest of the car.

Looks are a funny thing and I can't help but be reminded of the hue and cry heard from virtually all quarters when Chris Bangle started designing the aesthetic of the BMW's. People HATED the look. Proclamations of "the end of BMW" were heard everywhere. So too with the CTS when it was first introduced. And I think we all know how those stories played out. BMW sales more that doubled after Bangle took over and Cadillac essentially reinvented itself as a company, almost eliminating it's reputation of being a company that provided conveyances for 80+ year old ladies with blue hair residing in Miami Beach.

The first obligation of a car company is to get noticed and develop a corporate "look." Indeed, one of the common knocks against Acura's over the years has been that they're "bland" and "unrecognizable." Well, Acura has certainly taken care of those issues with this design theme (carried over to theRL, TSX and MDX). I guess time will tell if it's a successful gambit. I think it will be.

The C class (c300, c350, and c63 amg) are small but they're pretty decent for their price i believe. If you dont take all the options, you get a decent worth for your money with the engine power they give. ;)

G37 is fast, but a little too stiff for my taste.

I love the new TL; I'd pick it out of the cars you are considering. I like that it actually stands out from the crowd. Acura does not lock out the nav when the car starts moving (at least they don't on the new MDX) which will be a nice change over your Lexus. I'd drive the new Maxima and Lincoln MKS too; they are both great looking FWD cars.

I love the new TL; I'd pick it out of the cars you are considering. I like that it actually stands out from the crowd. Acura does not lock out the nav when the car starts moving (at least they don't on the new MDX) which will be a nice change over your Lexus. I'd drive the new Maxima and Lincoln MKS too; they are both great looking FWD cars.

I did test drive the Maxima and I was sorely disappointed. I love the look of the car but driving it was a whole other story. The engine was deafeningly loud on acceleration and the CVT transmission felt like a rubber band...and a rather loose one at that. The steering and brakes were superb, as was the ride, but the interior had a decidedly cheap feel to it and the nav system (a big issue for me) was slow and the screen was very low resolution. Comparing the nav system and screen of the Maxima to the TL was like going from a 13" black and white TV to a 52" 1080p HDTV.

I haven't driven the MKS though I do like the way it looks. Most reviews of it, however, suggest that it drives much like my current ES350 -- something I'm looking to get away from. And the fact that my wife has sworn that she'd never be caught dead in a Cadillac or a Lincoln (something about octogenarian ladies with blue hair who live in Miami Beach...lol).

The MKS is a really nice car but if you want something thats a different driving experience from your ES350 its not going to fit that bill.

I drove the new TL and liked it, I like the interior much more than the exterior. My issue with Acura and their new "on the edge" styling is how well is that styling going to age? I think the previous TL aged quickly. I'm like you, I don't mind the exterior (kind of like my ES, I didn't like it at first, its grown on me over the years and now I think its a really good looking car).

It has a lot of great technology...

Acura dealer service is a big step down from Lexus too.

What about the Infiniti M35x? I like that car a lot, its more expensive but I bet you could get an insane deal on one right now...