Leave It Running

Sometimes I want to start my car and walk back inside the house while it warms up. Most vehicles will allow you to lock the car with the remote. I am not able to do this with my 2006 IS250. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Normandg

Can you manually lock the car door with your valet key?

I'm surprised it gets cold enough in Virginia to need to warm up a car. Even during frequent trips to northern Iowa where it was -15° F where I was over the holidays, I idle the engine for only a few seconds before driving gently away. A car warms up more in one minute of gentle driving than in five minutes of idling.

Can you manually lock the car door with your valet key?

I'm surprised it gets could enough in Virginia to need to warm up a car. Even during frequent trips to northern Iowa where it was -15° F where I was over the holidays, I idle the engine for only a few seconds before driving gently away. A car warms up more in one minute of gentle driving than in five minutes of idling.

Valey key? You mean the hard key?

This has been asked before. I'm not sure if anyone tried the manual key, but all other methods have failed.

[Valey key? You mean the hard key?

This has been asked before. I'm not sure if anyone tried the manual key, but all other methods have failed.

Yes, I mean the "hard key" -- the key that has limited function and is intended for use by parking lot attendants.

Yes, I mean the "hard key" -- the key that has limited function and is intended for use by parking lot attendants.

Gen 2 IS don't have that. Only an emergency key. You have to pry off a piece of the door handle to use it.

Gen 2 IS don't have that. Only an emergency key. You have to pry off a piece of the door handle to use it.

Yeah--the emergency key. That's what I meant. Seems to be too much trouble.

I've thought about doing the same thing. What if you simply use the electric locks on the doors, and lock it, and then close the door with the car running. When returning to the car, I don't know if the touch door handles will work or if you'll have to use the unlock on the keyfob. I'll try it this afternoon if I remember.

I've thought about doing the same thing. What if you simply use the electric locks on the doors, and lock it, and then close the door with the car running. When returning to the car, I don't know if the touch door handles will work or if you'll have to use the unlock on the keyfob. I'll try it this afternoon if I remember.

it won't work

Well depending on what neighborhood you live in you might not have to lock it. I mean if it is in your garage in the morning I highly doubt anybody has the guts to walk into your garage and steal your IS, especially if they won't be able to start it again, ever.

Just my thoughts. And I don't know what kind of neighborhood you live in I was just speaking from that standpoint that you do own a Lexus so...you don't live in a *!Removed!*hole.

No need to leave it running, just turn on the seat heater, put on some gloves, idle it for 60 sec, turn on some vent or crack a window so the windows don't fog up, then slowly and gently pull away. Technically it only takes 15 -20 sec or less for oil circulation to get up to the cams. If your seat heater is working properly, there shouldn't be much of an issue. By the time you're ready for the freeway, the blower will be on and the car should be good to go!

Well depending on what neighborhood you live in you might not have to lock it. I mean if it is in your garage in the morning I highly doubt anybody has the guts to walk into your garage and steal your IS, especially if they won't be able to start it again, ever.

Just my thoughts. And I don't know what kind of neighborhood you live in I was just speaking from that standpoint that you do own a Lexus so...you don't live in a *!Removed!*hole.

If it's kept in a garage, then just start and go.

If it's kept in a garage, then just start and go.

Well technically you should wait like 30 seconds for oil circulation. I usually just wait a minute for mine and in that minute i turn on the seat heaters, change my Ipod playlist, set the climate controle....just some stuff to keep me busy and by the time I am done with all of that it's been a minute.