Ls460 Iphone Bluetooth Compatibility

Hi Everyone, I've searched the Lexus main website for the bluetooth compatibility and could not find the Apple iphone listed. Has anyone been able to successfully use their iphone through bluetooth on their LS460? Let me know what issues you faced if any or if it was a piece of cake to sync it and make and receive calls. :)

Hi Everyone, I've searched the Lexus main website for the bluetooth compatibility and could not find the Apple iphone listed. Has anyone been able to successfully use their iphone through bluetooth on their LS460? Let me know what issues you faced if any or if it was a piece of cake to sync it and make and receive calls. :)

It's been widely reported on a number of forums that the iPhone has little compatibility with the Lexus Bluetooth system. I was surprised when I just checked that the iPhone is no longer listed: http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/accessories/bluetooth.html

I distinctly remember it was listed the last time I checked but that it had very little compatibility. I think people have been able to pair the iPhone and receive calls but that is about all. The iPhone contact list can not be sync'ed with the Lexus Bluetooth system. It's been reported that some Lexus dealers have moved the iPhone contact list to compatible phones they keep on hand just for this purpose and then they upload the contact list from the compatible phone to the Lexus Bluetooth system.

Thanks for the info. Yes that is the list that I went to. So the only thing that people can do is sync the bluetooth and make and receive calls? I would think that the iphone would be able to have more features since its basically a computer that can do a lot of things. So who does one need to talk to about getting more features enabled? Is this an Apple issue or Lexus Bluetooth system issue? If it's Apple I'm not sure if they will put in a lot of effort just to make one car manufacturer's bluetooth system work with the iphone. I think Lexus would have to make some kind of deal with Apple just to get it to work properly.

Its an Apple issue. The iphone has a crippled bluetooth. One of the reasons I decided not to get for myself. We're talking about a "smartphone" that won't allow background processes, no obex transfer, and no a2dp.

OK I found this story for iphone obex transfer. http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/01/...le-transfer.ars

But its for a jailbroken iphone. I have jailbroken mine before and it's pretty easy and it works better than the standard iphone software. Everything works. Maybe this might be a workaround for those that want to jailbreak their iphone. I hope Apple opens up its software so that all its capabilities discovered and undiscovered can be utilized.

• 1 month later...

I heard the 3.0 software update for iPhone will enable the pairing for more than just receiving or making a call and enhancing the bluetooth compatibility. On youtube, someone use the iPhone bluetooth feature to play the songs in iPhone. Pretty cool stuff and I now wish I don't have the unlock version since I can't do the update on an unlock iPhone.

If its like the Verizon issue, its not the fault of Lexus. I have a Verizon phone and all I can do is make and receive calls. The reason is Verizon has disabled the ability to transfer info from the phone. From what I understand it is a selfish block on their part. I'd drop Verizon except that its the only cell service I can receive at my home.

Part of the problem is that the '09 model cars won't poll the phone for the phonebook. Some other cars and bluetooth car kits request a download of the phonebook when the car starts up; this functionality actually DOES work with the iPhone; it's just that Toyota doesn't currently support it. So you can answer the phone or dial from it; but unless you enter phone numbers manually you won't be able to dial by name via the car; although dialing by number should work.

The other way to do it would be to manually transfer (push) the phonebook from the phone to the car; but Apple doesn't support this on the 2.0 software. Apart from stereo bluetooth nobody's really sure what else will be supported in the iPhone 3.0 software release.

I can report that the Gen 6 Nav system in the RX will download the phonebook on command from a paired phone and play the stereo bluetooth stream; but if you've already bought an '09 this isn't helpful.

Another way to play it might be to have an non-active; second phone that does allow you to send the phonebook; then you can load the contacts from Outlook (or Address book or whatever) into THAT phone and use it to populate the phonebook in the car. Not an elegant solution but one way to go about it.

You might also be able to push the contacts directly from your computer over bluetooth; but I'm not sure how one would go about doing that.

• 1 month later...

I have a '08 RX400h and a '08 SC450h and I can use my bluetooth and iPhone 3G with both of them.

it is important to get the latest updates to the iPhone though - there seem to be a lot of bugs in the bluetooth stack on the iPhone. I'll still occasionally run into problem on long calls. hanging up and redialing will fix them. I could never get beam the contacts to the cars, but that wasn't such a big deal to me so I didn't try very hard.

• 2 months later...

I just got the 2010 RX350 and it is fully compatible with the iPhone. All contacts were transfered via bluetooth in one shot. It only took a few seconds. Also, we are able to listen to other things via bluetooth on the iPhone, including the iPod app, Pandora Radio, and Last.FM. It seems it's only the models from 2010 here on out will be compatible. What's different is that the new RX sees the iPhone as "MULTIMEDIA BLUETOOTH" rather than "HEADSET." What we've found to be more useful, however is to connect via USB for 100% iPod playlist integration and connect the phone feature (incoming and outgoing call) via BlueTooth. I want to steal the 2010 RX350 from my wife now since my 2008 ES350 seems so primitive now. Perhaps the next Nav update will cure all compatibility issues.

You might also be able to push the contacts directly from your computer over bluetooth; but I'm not sure how one would go about doing that.

I tried that via my MacBook Pro. It pairs with the Lexus, but it only recognizes is as a "headset" so that was a no go. What I did notice was when you try to transfer the contacts with the iphone the Bluetooth actually disables on the phone. I don't know why it does this. You are correct about the 2010 RX. We got ours and it's made the iPhone pretty powerful in the car. iPhone menu does now show up on the nav screen, however. That would be awesomely ridiculous!

I have a 2009 LS, a 2007 SC and a 2005 RX. The iPhone bluetooth syncs with all three cars. Can't upload addresses, but it can be done manually. I can call and receive calls - no problem.

It is helpful to stay current with the latest iPhone OS updates.

HR